New Rod And Reel

blackgoat

Hey all,

Recently I've been finding a bit of time to get back into fishing and after really getting the bug back I would like to get a nice new rod and reel.

I'm interested in fishing off the beach and rocks around SE Tas. Mostly Tasman Peninsular with the occasional trip up the East Coast.

I was thinking of getting an Alvey direct wind reel and a 12 or 13" rod with some mono line but now I'm wondering would this be overkill for the area? 

Any thoughts on whether I'd be better aiming for something lighter or more of an all rounder?

Would mostly be using bait and silver lures. Budget would be up to say $300 for something nice and good quality.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum, Blackgoat.

Not having ever been to Tassie, let alone fished there, I can't advise you whether or not a 12' or 13' rod with an Alvey would be the go, but if you are keen to get into beach fishing then that outfit would suit, especially when the big salmon are running.

If it was me though, I would most likely be looking at a medium surf rod around the 10' mark with maybe a 6000 size spin reel or larger. The Penn Spinfisher SSVI 6500 are one hell of a tough reel, good line capacity, a beefy drag and will handle most fish off the beach. 

Hanging onto a big surf rod and Alvey reel for a few hours can be very tiring. I would definitely be looking at a lighter outfit to start with and then if need be, upgrade a bit later.

Jeff

On 27/01/2019 at 5:20 PM, blackgoat said:

Hey all,

Recently I've been finding a bit of time to get back into fishing and after really getting the bug back I would like to get a nice new rod and reel.

I'm interested in fishing off the beach and rocks around SE Tas. Mostly Tasman Peninsular with the occasional trip up the East Coast.

I was thinking of getting an Alvey direct wind reel and a 12 or 13" rod with some mono line but now I'm wondering would this be overkill for the area? 

Any thoughts on whether I'd be better aiming for something lighter or more of an all rounder?

Would mostly be using bait and silver lures. Budget would be up to say $300 for something nice and good quality.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum. I'd love to see some picks of the area you are fishing in Tasmania. Sounds stunning. 

I love the set up you mentioned. Great for bait fishing off the rocks. Advantages with a long rod would be casting distance, ability to keep the line out of the waves and ability to steer fish around rocks to land them where you can.

Disadvantages are heavy and hard on your back if things are slow and alveys are not my first pick for spinning lures.

If it were me I would buy the outfit you mentioned and just use it for baits while saving up for a shorter rod, 10'' ish, and a smaller spinning reel at around the 6000 mark. I really like Shimano. Buy the one you can afford as they get better as the models get more expensive. 

Good luck and please post some pics of where you fish. Thanks

Archived