First Boat - Which One ?

leigh123

Hi all. I'm new here. After some advice/ recommendations.

I'm wanting to get my first boat. There are so many options out there it's overwhelming.

Will be looking at spending between 5k and 15k. (Mrs wants me to spend 5k. I want to spend 15k. Hopefully we can meet in the middle )

I will mainly be fishing places like Moreton Bay, Brisbane river. occasional trip to Moreton Island.

I'm thinking I would need a tinny or similar around 4m minimum..

Most of the time it would just me me and a mate fishing but need to be able to take wife and kids for fun as well occasionally.

Being able to get in and out easily is essential.

stable / Safe for kids.

Would like Electric Start /Trim and Tilt.

Comes with or able to bow mount an Electric Motor.

Easy to fish from / Stable.

Not sure if Tiller or Side Console or Center Console.?? Pros / Cons ?

Easy to launch / retrieve.

Is there any brands to steer clear of ? 

How old is too old ? Whats the maximum age of a boat/motor that you would steer clear of ?

Any recommendations or starting points on what I should be looking at that meets the above would be much appreciated.

Mate, I had a 4.55m Polycraft centre console before upgrading. Very stable, very seaworthy,  indestructible,  but wet. You have to do some easy mods to the front chines. Second-hand ones are pretty cheap, no rot, no cracked stringers.

But I'm biased because I had one remember, like most other opinions you'll get. Go and have a look at a bunch of boats yourself as well of course

That stessl looks like a good package.  Has everything you need, expect maybe a canopy for when you take the fam out for the day, easy enough to add one if you think you need it.  Solid boat.  Engine has some age on it but only 240 hours use so shouldn't be an issue.  75L tank will give you heaps of range. 

$11K is almost $5K...

ticking a lot of boxes.

Don't forget the auction sites, Lloyds or Graysonline, they both have private sales, clearances and sometimes stock liquidation sales.

I took a chance on an aluminium smartliner a few years ago when Stefan's boating world stopped selling them, couldn't have got on the water in a 5.0m tinny any cheaper and a far better boat than some Aussie pressed hulls.

Great advice above. 

Pro's and con's for center or side console or tiller.

Pros Center consoles are nice to run around in with a bit of a swell you stand up to drive.

Cons Center consoles take up a lot of room in a small boat. You will find yourself constantly pusing past it and harder if you have a few on board.

Pro's Side consoles are nice to sit at use a steering wheel. They seem to waste less space than a center console but you steer sitting down. This can be good or bad depending on what you like. 

Con's side console they still take up a fair bit of deck space and it can be tricky landing larger fish if you cant get them on the other side of the boat. 

Tiller Pros are without a doubt you get so much more deck space. Great if you take too much gear with you when you go fishing or have a few people on board

Till cons some people don't like to sit with there hand on the tiller and prefer a steering wheel. You have to travel sitting down (well unless you get an extended arm). 

FYI I have a 5m tiller and love it but do see advantages on other styles of boats. Up to the user. They are all wet at times. If you don't want to get wet you will need to get a cuddy cab. 

Good luck and feel free to ask lots of questions but only on one condition... when you catch some fish you have to post up some photos and a bit of a brag story. 🙂

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

Firstly thanks for the replies to this thread and apologies for not replying. Things changed just after this post and the hope of getting a boat went out the window.

Now it's looking good again. Only have between 3 and 5k to spend though.

I am now thinking of a fiberglass half cab. I'm thinking would be better suited to when I take the kids out with me. .

I'm looking at these 2 at the moment. Would anyone have any thoughts on either of them ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1211086952

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1217569493

18 hours ago, leigh123 said:

Hi guys.

Firstly thanks for the replies to this thread and apologies for not replying. Things changed just after this post and the hope of getting a boat went out the window.

Now it's looking good again. Only have between 3 and 5k to spend though.

I am now thinking of a fiberglass half cab. I'm thinking would be better suited to when I take the kids out with me. .

I'm looking at these 2 at the moment. Would anyone have any thoughts on either of them ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1211086952

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1217569493

Both cute little boats. It would be good to see if they are in good condition and how the motors run. Save me trolling through the thread can you tell me what you are wanting to do with the boat?

Hi Drop Bear,

Thanks for the response.

I would mainly just want to use it out in Moreton Bay. Fishing areas like Peel Is etc.

Would mostly just be me and a mate fishing . occasionally 2 mates. And every so often take the wife and 3 young kids for a day to Coochie or Horseshoe bay or something like that.

Would be good if it could get across to Moreton Island but guessing I might not get something good enough for the money I have.

10 hours ago, leigh123 said:

Hi Drop Bear,

Thanks for the response.

I would mainly just want to use it out in Moreton Bay. Fishing areas like Peel Is etc.

Would mostly just be me and a mate fishing . occasionally 2 mates. And every so often take the wife and 3 young kids for a day to Coochie or Horseshoe bay or something like that.

Would be good if it could get across to Moreton Island but guessing I might not get something good enough for the money I have.

They are small boats for 5 people. Perfect to tuck away around Peel etc with a mate but I would really want to pick the weather for a trip to Moreton. Not much dead rise on them so they would be pretty bumpy in a blow. Hard to fish out of for 3 people but can do it. A 5.5m is great for 3 people. 

The thing is they are really cheap so you will be able to sell again with not much loss. I had to own 3 boats before I got one I like and event now I want to upgrade haha. No such thing as the perfect boat. It is always a compromise. 

Good luck mate. Make sure you check them out well and do a compression test on the motors before you buy them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

So far I'm really happy. Only taken it out once so far.

Now to start on some Mods! 

Need to put some more storage in it.  Going to get it buffed. 

Add a second battery and LED lighting for night fishing. 

I'm sure the list will be endless.

Biggest thing though is learning how to reverse it properly and launch / retrieve myself! Brother in law is an experienced boatie and will come out with me while I learn the ropes. 

6 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Is the trailer braked? Outfit probably over 750kg. With a lot of earlier outfits to keep the price competitive the dearlers would weigh the outfit dry to keep the weight under 750kg and only supply a unbraked trailer,

Scalies quite often hit up the boat ramps of a weekend and give you a ticket and pull off the plates and you have to tilt tray your boat home , mechanical discs are not that expensive with electric a bit more but worth the extra as they are easier to adjust and if you put a relay in the reverse light circuit it disconnects the brakes when you are reversing, ( Stops the brakes locking up when you are reversing the empty trailer down the ramp)

cheers

ray

Good advice ray. I have never seen them do it but good to know. Ta

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2019 at 10:46 AM, leigh123 said:

Thanks Ray.

Thats an interesting though. Someone else said they though it might be over the 750kg... 

I live in Birkdale. Are there any public places I can take it to get weighed ? 

What would be the cost do you think to get brakes put on the trailer ?

Thanks

There is one in Rocklea

Address: corner ASHOVER & BALHAM Road, Rocklea Queensland 4106

Phone: 07 3277 9046

8 hours ago, leigh123 said:

Thanks guys,

I got 2 quotes to get it weighed. 1 from a mobile guy who comes to you for $200. And another local place for $90.

But now found out the Birkdale Waste Station has a weighbridge you can use for free. 

I'll give that a go at the weekend. 

Thanks

Pro Tip thanks. 

28 minutes ago, Doyley said:

I have to remove the calipers, which can be annoying to line back up

Yep it is really hard to get to the bolt to take them off on my rig. I think I will have to drop the boat off to get to them this time. It is too dangerous to do it like I did last time. 

Update - 

Took the boat to Birkdale Waste Station on Sunday. 

Pulled up with the boat and they told us they dont allow it on weekends coz its too busy. 

They told us we could see the weight of the car and boat together because we were on the weighbridge at the window. Said we would need to come back during the week to weigh just the boat...... 

So we took note of that.... 3400kg

Drove a couple of minutes away.. unhitched the boat and drove back in with just the car..

This time was 2450kg.

So the boat weighs approx 950kg!  just a bit over the 750 for a non braked trailer. !

I'll have to look into getting a braked trailer now or adding Brakes to mine.

It's annoying as I specifically asked the guy I bought it off if the trailer need a roadworthy and he assured me it was fine as it was under 750kg.

I asked him about the weight of the boat when it was raised here. He said he had owned the boat 15 year or something and had it registered in NSW for 10 years and then transferred to QLD reg 5 years ago. He said he remembers having it all inspected for the rego transfer and they didnt say anything....

Anyway not much I can do about it now. Still happy with the boat. Disappointed I'll have to spend money on the trailer now instead of boat mods.!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2019 at 12:38 AM, leigh123 said:

Update - 

Took the boat to Birkdale Waste Station on Sunday. 

Pulled up with the boat and they told us they dont allow it on weekends coz its too busy. 

They told us we could see the weight of the car and boat together because we were on the weighbridge at the window. Said we would need to come back during the week to weigh just the boat...... 

So we took note of that.... 3400kg

Drove a couple of minutes away.. unhitched the boat and drove back in with just the car..

This time was 2450kg.

So the boat weighs approx 950kg!  just a bit over the 750 for a non braked trailer. !

I'll have to look into getting a braked trailer now or adding Brakes to mine.

It's annoying as I specifically asked the guy I bought it off if the trailer need a roadworthy and he assured me it was fine as it was under 750kg.

I asked him about the weight of the boat when it was raised here. He said he had owned the boat 15 year or something and had it registered in NSW for 10 years and then transferred to QLD reg 5 years ago. He said he remembers having it all inspected for the rego transfer and they didnt say anything....

Anyway not much I can do about it now. Still happy with the boat. Disappointed I'll have to spend money on the trailer now instead of boat mods.!

Rats. Better to be safe though. When it goes wrong it can go really wrong.