ellicat

7 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Anyone see the State championship game? What a finish. Poor old Burleigh Bears - best team beaten at the final bell.

Yeah, heartbreaking.

On a positive note, in the schoolboys, Kirwan Qld beat Westfields Sports High NSW 16/10 after being down 0/10 early. Was a quality game for their ages. Keep an eye out in a couple of years for a hooker by the name of Trevilyan. I think he's already signed by the Cowboys.

That's the season and I begrudgingly praise Dan on his tipping prowess and to Kelvin for breathing down my neck in the final rounds and finals.

Thanks everyone for joining in for a bit of fun and thanks to Gad for the weekly game summaries..

Now to the 9's and the rep games.

Yep, congrats Dan, far too good for us!! 

Bit of refereeing controversy in the big one but I think it's a stretch to say it cost the Raiders the game, seeing as though the Roosters had to go 90m with their next set to score. I had a thought today - given that the ref/s changed their call (and seemingly got the correct decision in the end) which impacted on the Raiders, perhaps they should have just given the Raiders one more play, which would have given them the option to kick into the in-goal. Seems logical?

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, congrats Dan, far too good for us!! 

Bit of refereeing controversy in the big one but I think it's a stretch to say it cost the Raiders the game, seeing as though the Roosters had to go 90m with their next set to score. I had a thought today - given that the ref/s changed their call (and seemingly got the correct decision in the end) which impacted on the Raiders, perhaps they should have just given the Raiders one more play, which would have given them the option to kick into the in-goal. Seems logical?

I think you could argue that the ref changing the call gave the Roosters a big advantage. Not only because the Raiders didn’t kick for a try or repeat set (or even a field goal) but also because their defensive line would have been set if they knew it was a handover. Who can say, but the fullback and wingers would have been back rather than up in the line ready to attack the try line. Personally, I think that as soon as Cummins changed his mind and realised that Canberra hadn’t seen it, he should have stopped the game and explained the decision. We have seen them do that plenty of times before). That would have given Canberra the time to set up defensively which they would have had if they knew it was a handover. But that’s football.  Anyone who thinks that is the worst refereeing blunder in a final series have obviously forgotten the the seven tackle set that let the Sharks knock the Cowboys out of the 2013 series (Who says I hold a grudge😁). 

Bring on next season. I miss the NRL already.

Oh, and congrats Dan. Get you next year mate.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I will need to watch a replay. Anyone know where you can find it?

Fox have it at 8.30am and 1.30pm, Robbie. Make sure you have the sound on so you can enjoy the crowd singing hymns at random times. It was an amazing atmosphere which just lifted the Tongans and kept them going for the full 80 minutes.

I agree @Dinodadog.  I think the Kangaroos thought all they needed to do was tire the big Tongan forwards, then Cook could get in behind the line and send Tedesco away to the tryline. When that didn’t work, they started to panic. Our halves ran across the field and looked scared to take on the line (can’t really blame them, considering the defence) and on the very few occasions they had an opportunity they bombed it because they were so rattled. For all the hype about Cook and Tedesco, it will take a while for Australia to recover from the retirements of Smith, Cronk, Slater and Thurston. Not often you get to see players of that caliber in the same team. Makes the game more interesting though, going into a test unsure if the Kangaroos are going to win.

Agree about taking Australia a while to recover from the retirements of Smith, Cronk, Slater & Thurston. Not only because they were all great players, but they also played State of Origin together so carried these combinations into Tests. They just didn't seem to gel for this match. But yes, fantastic for the game that Tonga has taken some BIG scalps.