John Devitt Threadline Lubrication

Pierce Lim

Hi,

Found some OLD lubrication in my garage, I think is from the 90's.  The lube seem still fine, not freeze up or turn color.  Anyone have any idea where this lube is from and can still be use in today reels?  Attach here some photos of the lube, price tag still attach but can't see the price anymore lol........

IMG20190209161419.jpg

IMG20190209161428.jpg

IMG20190209161447.jpg

On 09/02/2019 at 6:14 PM, Pierce Lim said:

Anyone have any idea where this lube is from and can still be use in today reels?

I have not seen it before sorry. I have googled a bit and he was a casting guru in South Australia a few years ago.

I cant see why you couldn't use it. I would use it on Alveys and such but I wonder why you would use it on a new reel. ONOX do a great range of lure grease and oils now. We have had some donated to us for the last fishing comp and I do all my reels with it and it works great. 

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have not seen it before sorry. I have googled a bit and he was a casting guru in South Australia a few years ago.

I cant see why you couldn't use it. I would use it on Alveys and such but I wonder why you would use it on a new reel. ONOX do a great range of lure grease and oils now. We have had some donated to us for the last fishing comp and I do all my reels with it and it works great. 

thanks for the research. good to know

21 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Robbie, I had a mate drop in to see me a short time ago with a new middle of the range reel that he claimed was feeling a bit scratchy, brand started with an S and finished with an O. I stripped it down and there was not a bit of lubrication in it anywhere and obviously the reel had missed that step on the production line. A rare instance, but can happen.

Whenever I purchase a new reel, I pull it apart mainly out of curiosity and also to remove the factory lube and apply my own.

Jeff

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Robbie, I had a mate drop in to see me a short time ago with a new middle of the range reel that he claimed was feeling a bit scratchy, brand started with an S and finished with an O. I stripped it down and there was not a bit of lubrication in it anywhere and obviously the reel had missed that step on the production line. A rare instance, but can happen.

Whenever I purchase a new reel, I pull it apart mainly out of curiosity and also to remove the factory lube and apply my own.

Jeff

That what I did for any new reel.  Bought a Banax Mighty 5000X, degrease the factory old gease (not many was left inside from factory) with a WD40 degreaser and apply this to the main gear. Bought carbontex to replace the washer and lube with an "OLD" John Devitt Thereadline Lubrication.

IMG20190212153002.jpg

6 hours ago, snafu said:

Jeff

I need to do a lot of my reels that are grindy. I also had a reel that went grindy after the first days use. It didn't get wet or anything. I wonder if this is the same thing? I will pull it apart and let you know. 

Because of the incompatibility issues with different types of lubricants (not to be confused with different brands) and not knowing the exact type of grease applied in the reel production, it pays to completely clean out the reel before re-lubricating.

Some greases will harden when mixed with another incompatible grease and some do the complete opposite and thin down to a very light oil consistency.

After trying numerous lubricants over many years, I now only use white lithium polymer grease in my reels as it is anti corrosive and has extremely high water and temperature resistance.

I think a big problem that some people have with lubrication of reels is being a bit too heavy handed with the amount of grease they use and I guess it comes from a mindset that if they use a lot, the reel wont need servicing again for a fair while. By using too much grease on internal gearing, it becomes a resisting force for smooth operation - just something to be aware of.

Jeff

13 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Good stuff @snafu.  Any hints on getting the casing screws out without stripping the head of the screw?  I have struggled with that on a few spinning reels over the years.

That's a bit of a tricky one to answer, Old Scaley.

Having a set of quality screwdrivers is a good starting point and selecting the correct one for the job on hand will usually eliminate damage to the screw. I cringe when I observe some people using the point of a bait knife to remove or tighten a screw on a reel or even just using the wrong size screwdriver. Once the head of a screw has been damaged to the stage that it cannot be moved then a bit of surgery with tiny precision drills is generally the only way to remedy the problem.

So, the major cause of binding screws in reels?

IMO, it results firstly from over tightening and secondly from corrosion to the thread, both of which can be eliminated by regular and careful reel maintenance. A slight smear of anti corrosion lubricant on the thread before reassembly and don't go too heavy on tightening.

Jeff

Archived