Man On Morning Surf Nabs A Tuna That Was Being Hunted By Dolphins

John

308544D0-4F3F-4E2F-ABE7-54E42C3FE6D4.jpeg

A surfer looking to catch some waves was delighted when he got the catch of the day instead. Nicholas Smith was around 70m from shore during his morning surf at Duranbah, in Tweed Heads, NSW, when around ten dolphins surrounded him. The dolphins were hunting a school of mackerel tuna and Mr Smith was able to pluck one right out of the water.

'I reached into the water and grabbed a tuna by its tail with my bare hands, it must've weighed about eight kilos,' Mr Smith said in the Gold Coast Bulletin. 'The dolphins tried to get the fish off me, making the other surfers think it was a shark attack.'

Smith managed to keep hold of the tuna and after fending off the dolphins and he caught a wave back to shore.

40A72C73-FE46-4F08-8C45-056BA8E8C4A4.jpeg

'Everyone on the beach found what I did incredibly amazing,' Smith said.

The tree lopper then grabbed a photo of his tuna, put it in the back of his ute and took it home where he at it as sashimi with chilli and olive oil. It is not the first time Smith has caught a fish without a rod and he considers 'hand fishing' his special talent.

He also takes part in drone fishing, with a video he uploaded of him and his nephew catching a 24kg tuna getting four million views. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6687081/The-surfers-thought-shark-attack-Man-surf-nabs-tuna-hunted-dolphins.html

Archived