Rigging Gar For Slow Trolling Spanish

Drop Bear

Hey Legends,

I have often been told the best way to catch Spanish Mack Trucks is to slow troll a rigged Gar.

I have heard lots of methods with 3 x 6/0 Gangs and a cast net sinker or premade rigs and using soft plastic squid heads over the top but I have actually never done it. 

Does anyone recommend it and do you have any tips on how to rig and how fast to troll etc?

• 8 months later...

down and dirty wog head. from bransfords tackle (cairns area) slays them. Dunno where else you get them. Ring them. Also you can rig them behind  a paravane.. I rig them 2-3 mtrs behind a paravane and run strait off a tld 25 15kg line set up. Works good. prob about 4 knots. with paravane

5-6 knots without paravane on the down and dirty woghead. I like the one with light purple/blue threads, bit pink and white. But this works well in Cairns.. My mate in port Maquarie swears by trolling live slimies one hook in nose and a small treble near tail, one on surface and one on downrigger 5-10 mtrs down.

There is a good video on youtube where a Pro Mac fisho gives you a pretty good rundown. search.. "How to rig deadbaits for spanish mackeral " 17:21 mins youtube.

Generaly do better on 5-10 mtrs deep gear set personaly, whether its a down rigger or paravane. Local guy supplies paravane in cairns tackleworld. 40$ but top stuff. 4 sizes

But if you can get them they looooove wolf herring trolled on a chin rig. You can buy a premade lead thing that sits under the chin of wolfie. then 6 gang hooks as they are usualy 40 cm long.

Also depends where your fishing and whats in the area. Where are you located?

What terrain are you fishing. They cant resist yellow tail fusilers on the reef. Close to shore i get them on live trevally,  and they smash school macs up to 2-3 kg size livies no probs. trolled or livebaited.

However i caught the one in photo on a floating pilly. 30-35 kg released for fear of cigutera., And it swam away happily.

On 15/02/2019 at 3:57 AM, Drop Bear said:

Hey Legends,

I have often been told the best way to catch Spanish Mack Trucks is to slow troll a rigged Gar.

I have heard lots of methods with 3 x 6/0 Gangs and a cast net sinker or premade rigs and using soft plastic squid heads over the top but I have actually never done it. 

Does anyone recommend it and do you have any tips on how to rig and how fast to troll etc?

Down and dirty wog with some (hair extensions added from eBay.)

9F80C905-BDBD-4447-8A8D-2C758D17ECA3.jpeg