Catching Freshwater Eel

swmcl

On 16/02/2019 at 8:13 AM, swmcl said:

Hi all,

How does one go about catching eels for bait ?  I see a pdf from Fisheries that details a proper net but I can't see too many of you with that arrangement !  Does one need a license ?

Rgds,

Steve

I use a heavy hand line with a hook at about 3/0 ish and a ball sinker. Subtle rigs are not required. Best baits for me are meat that is tough to get off the hook. Chicken hearts are a cracker if you can get them but I have done very well on venison. I don't like soft baits as I find they can mouth the bait and get it off without you knowing.

As for baits I cut them up and bag them individually before freezing them. Bigger is better 🙂

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, Drop Bear said:

I use a heavy hand line with a hook at about 3/0 ish and a ball sinker. Subtle rigs are not required. Best baits for me are meat that is tough to get off the hook. Chicken hearts are a cracker if you can get them but I have done very well on venison. I don't like soft baits as I find they can mouth the bait and get it off without you knowing.

As for baits I cut them up and bag them individually before freezing them. Bigger is better 🙂

I've heard guys use chuck steak from the butcher cos of the tough fatty grisel on it as well.

• 1 year later...