Easy Set-up Fishing Rig

Eagleray1

I'm just starting to get back into some fishing after a number of years.  Years ago I always made up rigs to suit as needed and tied and snood all my hooks and was able to do this in the dark.  I still make up my own rigs but because of these old eyes it's becoming more difficult so my preference now is to make up my rigs beforehand and use snap swivels to connect to make it easier.  I never used any type of snap connectors back in the earlier days but nowadays I just want to arrive at the destination and decide on the rig I want to attach.  I don't want to tie knots in the field if I can avoid it.

I want the ability to pass a No 12 (or 14) swivel tied to the end of the line of the reel.  Connect reel to rod and feed it up through the guides.  The top tip guide is large enough to pass the swivel through ok but not the snap part.  So I guess I would need to have a snap on each rig itself which is ok I think.

The other issue is attaching a running sinker that runs down to the swivel.  I want the ability to connect various weights of pyramid or star sinkers but have some arrangement where this can be attached using a clip after it's all been threaded through the rod guides (and removed at end of fishing).

I have seen plastic guides where these can be attached to the line and have a clip to attach your sinker of choices but seems this has to be done before tying the swivel on but I did see one brand where the plastic runner has a slot and clips onto the line but I think most don't have this feature?

So basically I want a running sinker coming down to a swivel which is then attached to a hook of my choosing.  My hooks will be tied using say 300-400mm of line to a split ring.

As I've not done a lot of fishing in recent years I've not kept up with the latest fishing methods and tricks.  Hopefully I have described what I want to do well enough and see if any of you guys can suggest anything that might suit.

19 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

I'm just starting to get back into some fishing after a number of years.  Years ago I always made up rigs to suit as needed and tied and snood all my hooks and was able to do this in the dark.  I still make up my own rigs but because of these old eyes it's becoming more difficult so my preference now is to make up my rigs beforehand and use snap swivels to connect to make it easier.  I never used any type of snap connectors back in the earlier days but nowadays I just want to arrive at the destination and decide on the rig I want to attach.  I don't want to tie knots in the field if I can avoid it.

I want the ability to pass a No 12 (or 14) swivel tied to the end of the line of the reel.  Connect reel to rod and feed it up through the guides.  The top tip guide is large enough to pass the swivel through ok but not the snap part.  So I guess I would need to have a snap on each rig itself which is ok I think.

The other issue is attaching a running sinker that runs down to the swivel.  I want the ability to connect various weights of pyramid or star sinkers but have some arrangement where this can be attached using a clip after it's all been threaded through the rod guides (and removed at end of fishing).

I have seen plastic guides where these can be attached to the line and have a clip to attach your sinker of choices but seems this has to be done before tying the swivel on but I did see one brand where the plastic runner has a slot and clips onto the line but I think most don't have this feature?

So basically I want a running sinker coming down to a swivel which is then attached to a hook of my choosing.  My hooks will be tied using say 300-400mm of line to a split ring.

As I've not done a lot of fishing in recent years I've not kept up with the latest fishing methods and tricks.  Hopefully I have described what I want to do well enough and see if any of you guys can suggest anything that might suit.

Hey Eagleray, 

Welcome to the forum. That's pretty technical rigging you will have to do so as to not tie a knot. 

There are running sinker clips that you can buy.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SXXQ_enAU713AU714&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Kx9qXKjvNIHk-AbjurzYCg&q=running+sinker+clip&oq=running+sinker+clip&gs_l=img.12...0.0..7524...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.x5j8YOy8qAQ

Do you need to thread the swivel through the guides? Are you using a 2 (or more) piece rod that cant be transported in one piece?  If you could keep it in one piece you could thread on the rod clip and tie on the swivel at home?

There is a tight balance to getting a swivel that will fit through the guides yet be big enough to let you clip to it. If you have it already in one piece it avoids a lot of trouble. 

Mate you could also try just tying a noose at the end of line and threading it through the sinkers you can buy not that have a swivel attached for the sinker on the bottom. Thread through and over sinker then pull and reverse to get it off. I use this for my boat rigs with paternoster above it..

Thanks Drop Bear for your welcome.

Yes natang I could use a loop but I'm somewhat pedantic when it comes to loop knots and knots generally and trying to avoid those too.  They are another place that weakens the line overall strength and from passed experience they tend to get tangled up with the hook rig.  Nothing wrong with that method though and used it 48+ years ago.

I've been doing some more searching on the sliders that are about and will post back when a certain seller replies to my query concerning the one they sell that I think may be suitable.  More on this later.

Thanks for your input so far guys.

17 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

I've been doing some more searching on the sliders that are about and will post back when a certain seller replies to my query concerning the one they sell that I think may be suitable.  More on this later.

This is the one I have asked the seller about but no reply yet:

https://www.rigmastertackle.com.au/product/easy-rigssinker-runners-smart-ezy-rig/

It's not clear to me whether this fixes the slider to the line and only intended to adjust the fixed position.  I need it to be able to slide

On 18/02/2019 at 1:33 PM, Drop Bear said:

Do you need to thread the swivel through the guides? Are you using a 2 (or more) piece rod that cant be transported in one piece?  If you could keep it in one piece you could thread on the rod clip and tie on the swivel at home?

I should clarify that the idea is to avoid tying knots when out fishing if it can be avoided.

The fishing rods are 2.1 meter telescopic rods that are very compact when retracted.  A number 12 swivel has no problem in passing through all the runners, just not the clip part.

The reel (cheap small spinning reel) could be left on the rod but my preference is to take it off when packing it away so yes the swivel needs to be passed up through the runners.  I was going to pre-tie my hooks to small rings (split rings) then just clip on the one I wish to use but instead I will probably tie each rig to it's own snap (no swivel) and connect that to the number 12 swivel.

The snaps I have are sold on eBay, search for "100Pcs Sea River Fishing Lure Line Connector Snap Cross Lock Snap Clip Tackle", $2-3 for 100pcs.

23 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

I should clarify that the idea is to avoid tying knots when out fishing if it can be avoided.

The fishing rods are 2.1 meter telescopic rods that are very compact when retracted.  A number 12 swivel has no problem in passing through all the runners, just not the clip part.

The reel (cheap small spinning reel) could be left on the rod but my preference is to take it off when packing it away so yes the swivel needs to be passed up through the runners.  I was going to pre-tie my hooks to small rings (split rings) then just clip on the one I wish to use but instead I will probably tie each rig to it's own snap (no swivel) and connect that to the number 12 swivel.

The snaps I have are sold on eBay, search for "100Pcs Sea River Fishing Lure Line Connector Snap Cross Lock Snap Clip Tackle", $2-3 for 100pcs.

Fair call mate. Let us know how you get on. I prefer to not use clips but I agree sometimes knots are a pain especially in low light and if I forgot my glasses... haha that is another story. 

21 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Fair call mate. Let us know how you get on. I prefer to not use clips but I agree sometimes knots are a pain especially in low light and if I forgot my glasses... haha that is another story. 

The seller has not responded about the sinker slider query so I looked around for information elsewhere.  The seller is also on eBay where I had asked the question.  I see it's now out of stock in the original eBay link but was relisted.  I decided to purchase a packet of 25 for $11.95 (Free postage).  Then it shows as out of stock when looking at the listing again so appears 1 item per listing.  In eBay search search for "Easy Ezy Ezi Rigs Sinker Runners Slider Fishing Small, Large, Smart, No Clip " then select the required item.

Doing some research on these type of sliders many have patents which would explain why I can't find any cheap Chinese versions of it.

The "Ez Sinker slide" look better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOYyMXaue8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37IDrA6DXr8

https://www.rigrap.com/shop
3.99 USD for a packet of 6, and $29.99 for a 48 packet.  Won't sell to Australia though.

Seem pretty expensive especially once converted to AUD and you'd have to find an AU distributor.

There are other types about but they all seem rather expensive.  I will give the eBay ones a go when I receive them.  They are bulkier but better price.

Time to get a 3D printer?

2 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

The seller has not responded about the sinker slider query so I looked around for information elsewhere.  The seller is also on eBay where I had asked the question.  I see it's now out of stock in the original eBay link but was relisted.  I decided to purchase a packet of 25 for $11.95 (Free postage).  Then it shows as out of stock when looking at the listing again so appears 1 item per listing.  In eBay search search for "Easy Ezy Ezi Rigs Sinker Runners Slider Fishing Small, Large, Smart, No Clip " then select the required item.

Doing some research on these type of sliders many have patents which would explain why I can't find any cheap Chinese versions of it.

The "Ez Sinker slide" look better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOYyMXaue8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37IDrA6DXr8

https://www.rigrap.com/shop
3.99 USD for a packet of 6, and $29.99 for a 48 packet.  Won't sell to Australia though.

Seem pretty expensive especially once converted to AUD and you'd have to find an AU distributor.

There are other types about but they all seem rather expensive.  I will give the eBay ones a go when I receive them.  They are bulkier but better price.

Time to get a 3D printer?

haha it would be great to see you build some on a 3D printer. Very cool. 

Frustrating buying stuff from unreliable sellers. I pretty much buy everything from Water Tower Bait and Tackle in Manly Brisbane or Tackle warehouse in Coorparoo. 

On 19/02/2019 at 3:47 PM, Eagleray1 said:

These that I had ordered from eBay arrived today (Smart Black 25-Pack).  They are quite easy to rig and remove and once rigged are unlikely to come off the line when tested with mono 15lb line.

They are often out of stock though for this item in the eBay listings but have them in stock if dealing direct.

Archived