New Boat For Ozfish

Drop Bear

Hey Gang,

It looks like we will be purchasing a cracking oyster punt for OzFish over the next few days/weeks (depends on a few things). 🍾

Punt is 8.6m long and 2.6m wide. YEW

It comes with a, not running, 2004 Evinrude etec 75. No idea of hours but it has been on a work boat so will have a lot. There is barnacles and other growth on the leg and prop so it has not been well looked after. We are not paying for the engine. The guy selling says it was working that night but didn't next day and thinks it is an electronic problem.

The boat is supposed to weigh under one ton with motor and fuel. 

So my Questions are;

1. Are you as excited about owning an oyster punt as I am? (parties, fishing etc)
  2. Any tips on best place to get an abused 2004 Evinrude etec 75 serviced/fixed? We are a charity so hoping to be cheaper options. 
  3. Also we would like to get a trailer. Hopefully if engine works out we will have about 5k to spend on it. I can weld... Would a second hand shark cat type trailer work if we re built the super structure?
  4. Name ideas?
  5. Comments and thoughts? 
  6. Best cocktail recipes? 🍾

TA

hey mate,

re the engine - I personally would look for a different option - if it was ex commercial and hasn't been maintained your problems ongoing will only continue to get worse and the bills will mount up hard.  Depending on what power you need, I would look for a reasonable condition and less 2nd hand option.

towing will be interesting - being 2.6m wide that is an oversized load and permits, signs, flags and all sorts fun things will be required to move it around.  As far as the trailer goes, you may be able to mod an existing trailer to fit it on there, the only concern would be finding a trailer big enough to support it on both width and length - not too many trailers are designed for a boat 8.6m x 2.6m and i'd imagine even less of them would be available on the second hand market.  the shape of the hull may make it difficult to sit it on an exisiting trailer as well but a cat trailer would be fairly flat with the middle superstructure off it so this may work out ok.  it would certainly be easy enough to buy some steel and weld one up, not sure how this works as far as compliance plates and the like.

do you need to have it surveryed and all that being as though it would be for "commercial" use?

not trying to be negative (i just re-read the above and it seems i was without trying - sorry), just can see a few issues there and if funds are a concern i can see a few red flags.  i essence though, it would be an awesome thing as far as transporting several people and many shells around the bay on a good day.

as far as a name goes - i think a relevant name would be "SPAT".

3 hours ago, benno573 said:

hey mate,

re the engine - I personally would look for a different option - if it was ex commercial and hasn't been maintained your problems ongoing will only continue to get worse and the bills will mount up hard.  Depending on what power you need, I would look for a reasonable condition and less 2nd hand option.

towing will be interesting - being 2.6m wide that is an oversized load and permits, signs, flags and all sorts fun things will be required to move it around.  As far as the trailer goes, you may be able to mod an existing trailer to fit it on there, the only concern would be finding a trailer big enough to support it on both width and length - not too many trailers are designed for a boat 8.6m x 2.6m and i'd imagine even less of them would be available on the second hand market.  the shape of the hull may make it difficult to sit it on an exisiting trailer as well but a cat trailer would be fairly flat with the middle superstructure off it so this may work out ok.  it would certainly be easy enough to buy some steel and weld one up, not sure how this works as far as compliance plates and the like.

do you need to have it surveryed and all that being as though it would be for "commercial" use?

not trying to be negative (i just re-read the above and it seems i was without trying - sorry), just can see a few issues there and if funds are a concern i can see a few red flags.  i essence though, it would be an awesome thing as far as transporting several people and many shells around the bay on a good day.

as far as a name goes - i think a relevant name would be "SPAT".

Thanks mate,

Yep it is easy to get concerned when the engine has been mistreated. I know that this is the case but beggar/chooser.

I have applied for funding for a brand new Suzuki 115 tiller 4 stroke. I hope that we can have it on the boat in about 4 or 6 months time, fingers crossed. Until then I need a stop gap so will have one go at fixing the engine. If it shows problems I will make another plan. The only reason that I would consider this it that I do trust the guy I am buying it from and even if I didn't he has no reason to make stuff up as he is giving it to us for the same cost weather we take it or not. He said he feels it is a simple electronic fault so... It's worth a shot IMHO.

Trailer. I will keep working on this. I know that you can have stuff hot dip galvanized so probably will try and weld it all up in C section and get it dipped. I hope to buy an old but ok trailer that has duel axles and all the hitches, winches, axles and wheels as this is a huge cost to replace from new parts. 

Archived