This Mornings Blues

jon

Went out with a mate This morning attempting our first go at chasing a big blue tuskie. Hit the first spot on sunrise and managed to land three small tuskies straight away which filled us both with confidence. Hung around in the shallows for a bit waiting for the tide to change. As the tide change approached we changed spots and within ten minutes we had nailed our first big blue ever. Unfortunately we came across two more decent ones but pulled hooks on both. Things slowed down after the tide change so  we kept it short and headed home early with a bit of by catch aswell. Pretty damn stoked for first go at them. Will be having another crack at Em real soon I know that much. Big one weighed in at 11 kg  and measured 80cm when we got home.

ps. Should have taken a photo straight up when it was alive as this one dosnt do it justice. It had the mintest colours when it first came out of the water. 🦜 

95A8D6D1-24D1-40A3-81AF-D9BB5D1AE670.thumb.jpeg.68f693811ec68937901572b05d1168d2.jpegFB4D07A9-9665-40D7-B536-5D411192F9DC.thumb.jpeg.c48275ade51936ea8060894309878edc.jpeg

not worth a report in itself but anyone chasing a prawns I’d be giving Southside a miss until we get some rain. All the usual spots have been really poor for this time of year. Best bet is to try pine or Cabo . We’ve managed to get a couple buckets up that way on each trip. But be prepared to put in  the work for them. We really need some big rain soon or this prawn seasons gonna suck I reckon 🦐 298AA931-8573-47C3-B4FB-22C5F85AF023.thumb.jpeg.271c54a165fb7d32cf5221cd23c64c7b.jpegD71E93DA-3124-4EFF-AF9C-577DC704DF6D.thumb.jpeg.c4f0d76203c6f56f06fa6a39a56f4e73.jpeg

Yeah Benno, woke up stupid o clock and flipped rocks and foraged  In prep, then legged it home hitched up the boat. And headed straight back to launch. Worth the effort though.  And it seems after many years I still know how to do the Jesus Christ there’s a effing crab attached to the end of my finger helicopter dance 😂😂😂

19 hours ago, jon said:

As the tide change approached we changed spots and within ten minutes we had nailed our first big blue ever.

Wooohhhaaaa! that is a cracker!!!! If you ever need a decky 🙂

Mate what an awesome fish. Do you just hook the crabs on whole? Like through the back legs? 

How much water do they like? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Wooohhhaaaa! that is a cracker!!!! If you ever need a decky 🙂

Mate what an awesome fish. Do you just hook the crabs on whole? Like through the back legs? 

How much water do they like? 

Just hook them through the flap and come out the back if you want them alive but dead works just as well, all different depths but they like rocky rubbley ground

if you want to get right into it - some quick set araldite on the back and sit a hook in it and then tie onto main line once set.  they stay alive for ages and you get really good hook exposure too.

this whole process can however result in more instances of the previously mentioned "Jesus Christ there’s a effing crab attached to the end of my finger helicopter dance". 😂

2 hours ago, benno573 said:

if you want to get right into it - some quick set araldite on the back and sit a hook in it and then tie onto main line once set.  they stay alive for ages and you get really good hook exposure too.

this whole process can however result in more instances of the previously mentioned "Jesus Christ there’s a effing crab attached to the end of my finger helicopter dance". 😂

Yeah I’ll have to try some araldite. I tried drying the shell and using some servo bought superglue but it wouldnt bond. It did however seem to briefly bond a 10/0 hoodlum to my finger which was nice

3 hours ago, jon said:

It did however seem to briefly bond a 10/0 hoodlum to my finger which was nice

Big live bait ........... :whistle:  Always thought you'd make good shark bait ............ :frantics:   Absolute horse of a tusky there Sef and to get it on your first trip targeting them is just awesome, well done. Nice haul of prawns too. I showed my wife these pics and I think she is quietly lamenting the fact she married me ........ (although I am very good looking .......... 😁).

Archived