Ningi Creek Javelin

Hi Everyone

Just a brief report on recent trip to Ningi with my Grandson, got onto a quite a few  spotted and barred Javelin, majority of the spotties were legal 35cm + however all the barred caught were under legal although in same range length as the spotties. Javelin are plenty of fun on light mono with a 6kg mono trace, however best to use circle hooks as they will generally swallow the bait.

Couple of pics of a spotty and a barred both 35cm to fork

Thanks for reading

MSB

20181201_095603.jpg

20181201_092923.jpg

18 minutes ago, benno573 said:

awesome!  Good to see the young fella enjoying it, and avoiding the gillrakers - hope you put your jocks back on post the photo though @MSB😂

Couple of good feeds in that lot by the sounds of it. 

He not only catches em, he knows how to crumb em and cook em

20180408_154722.jpg

20180408_154645.jpg

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great work there @MSB  Quality time with the grandson and a quality feed as a bonus.  What's the legal limit for barred javelin/grunter and which do we get more commonly down this way?

Hi Cros

Legal limit for a barred javelin is 40cm , legal limit for the spotted javelin is 30cm, I reckon i catch 10 spotties to 1 barred. Coming up to April the larger fish are around and i regularly catch spotties to 45cm and the odd barred to 50cm. A lot of people are not aware of the difference in limits or just ignore them not sure which, however guys have been fined by the fisheries at Donnybrook in the last 12 months for keeping undersize barred javelin.

One thing i always do when measuring any fish with a concave tail is take the measurement to the fork in the tail, rather then the allowed method, because any fish will shrink in length once caught and kept, even if as i do they are bled and put in an ice slurry, better to be safe then risk a fine.

Thanks for your response

MSB

36 minutes ago, MSB said:

Hi Cros

Legal limit for a barred javelin is 40cm , legal limit for the spotted javelin is 30cm, I reckon i catch 10 spotties to 1 barred. Coming up to April the larger fish are around and i regularly catch spotties to 45cm and the odd barred to 50cm. A lot of people are not aware of the difference in limits or just ignore them not sure which, however guys have been fined by the fisheries at Donnybrook in the last 12 months for keeping undersize barred javelin.

One thing i always do when measuring any fish with a concave tail is take the measurement to the fork in the tail, rather then the allowed method, because any fish will shrink in length once caught and kept, even if as i do they are bled and put in an ice slurry, better to be safe then risk a fine.

Thanks for your response

MSB

Well done @MSB and grandson. Grunter are delicious and the boy now has a real skill that he will keep for life. Just on the measuring thing, another reason to allow a bit of extra length is that what you are measuring with may not be accurate. I remember having a 53 cm flathead measured by Fisheries at the ramp one day as part of their surveys and it was half a cm smaller than my Measuring stick said. When I got home I lined up a steel ruler with a steel tape, an Alvey fish measure and a brag mat. There was a measurable difference in all of them. So, be careful because there is only one device that will count if you get checked and it doesn’t belong to you.

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Well done @MSB and grandson. Grunter are delicious and the boy now has a real skill that he will keep for life. Just on the measuring thing, another reason to allow a bit of extra length is that what you are measuring with may not be accurate. I remember having a 53 cm flathead measured by Fisheries at the ramp one day as part of their surveys and it was half a cm smaller than my Measuring stick said. When I got home I lined up a steel ruler with a steel tape, an Alvey fish measure and a brag mat. There was a measurable difference in all of them. So, be careful because there is only one device that will count if you get checked and it doesn’t belong to you.

All of which casts a HUGE shadow of doubt on the actual size of that '17cm' GRINNER you caught that time .............. :whistle::frantics:🤣 (Sorry, been out in the sun with kids for two hours, have to have fun somehow ........ 🙂).

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi Scaley

Don't doubt their are discrepancies  with measuring for a minute, I generally target your bread and butter species and as a rule I add 5cm to the minimum legal lengths not only to cover my arse with fisheries inspectors at the boat ramp, but I personally struggle with keeping a 25cm bream and a 23cm whiting particularly on the allowed means of measurement, I think i read once that a 25cm bream would be close to 10 years old, if that's the case the sucker may not have had a chance to breed as yet, don't begrudge anyone taking legal length fish though, just my own personal feelings on the situation.

Good fishing to you Scaley thanks for your response

MSB

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Cracking fish mate. Not something I have caught. Great to see. 

Any tips on baits, locations etc?

Hi Robbie

First post reply seems to have disappeared so here goes again.

Javelin love live yabbies and live prawns however fresh green prawns work well. I use 3kg mono with a 6kg mono trace as the areas I fish also hold some big crocs and school jew to 4kg and the 6kg trace helps when this happens. Use enough lead to hold bottom, 1 mtr trace and 1/0 circle hook, tie the circle hook to the trace with a snell, as I reckon the this help the hook set better in the corner of the mouth, best mode of fishing is to sit your rod in the rod holder, they will smash the bait, let em move off and they will set the hook, lots of fun to be had on light gear, although they do pull very hard for there size.

Good spot at the mouth of the Brisbane River is where the main channel intersects with the original bar cutting also known as the Koopa Channel, fish any gutters that run off/into the Juno Pt/West Banks area last 2 hours of the run out or first 2 hours run up, I haven't fished the area since 2010 so hope the gutters aren't all silted up, I used to fish the area  a lot with my brother inlaw before bad health laid him up and not uncommon to pick them up to 60cm+. 

Best times early mornings late afternoons and if you can midweek, gets busy there on weekends.

Alternative is to come out with me and I will show you around the passage and catch a few, we can pull up at Mission Pt for lunch and have an ice cold beer and a boiled bacon and pickle sandwich.

Good luck with it😎

MSB

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Robbie, if you do a search on this forum under Monster Grunter caught in Nudgee you will see they are there

17 hours ago, MSB said:

Hi Robbie

First post reply seems to have disappeared so here goes again.

Javelin love live yabbies and live prawns however fresh green prawns work well. I use 3kg mono with a 6kg mono trace as the areas I fish also hold some big crocs and school jew to 4kg and the 6kg trace helps when this happens. Use enough lead to hold bottom, 1 mtr trace and 1/0 circle hook, tie the circle hook to the trace with a snell, as I reckon the this help the hook set better in the corner of the mouth, best mode of fishing is to sit your rod in the rod holder, they will smash the bait, let em move off and they will set the hook, lots of fun to be had on light gear, although they do pull very hard for there size.

Good spot at the mouth of the Brisbane River is where the main channel intersects with the original bar cutting also known as the Koopa Channel, fish any gutters that run off/into the Juno Pt/West Banks area last 2 hours of the run out or first 2 hours run up, I haven't fished the area since 2010 so hope the gutters aren't all silted up, I used to fish the area  a lot with my brother inlaw before bad health laid him up and not uncommon to pick them up to 60cm+. 

Best times early mornings late afternoons and if you can midweek, gets busy there on weekends.

Alternative is to come out with me and I will show you around the passage and catch a few, we can pull up at Mission Pt for lunch and have an ice cold beer and a boiled bacon and pickle sandwich.

Good luck with it😎

MSB

Mate great write up thanks. I am really keen to come up one time. I know I have had to cancel in the past. Perhaps next week could work? 

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate great write up thanks. I am really keen to come up one time. I know I have had to cancel in the past. Perhaps next week could work? 

yep that might work, I will PM with some options if the weather doesn't spoil the party

On 20/02/2019 at 2:31 PM, Drop Bear said:

catch plenty of the spotty ones down the pin in the late summer months.  yabbies are definitely the go.  load your boat up, flick me an invite and i will teach you the ways of the grunter force young drop bear.

also @MSB - if you ever need a decky in non-cyclone times please let me know. 😘

Just now, benno573 said:

catch plenty of the spotty ones down the pin in the late summer months.  yabbies are definitely the go.  load your boat up, flick me an invite and i will teach you the ways of the grunter force young drop bear.

what side of town you on benno, I fish midweek on my own so you are welcome anytime, we could take the tinny out and surf the Caloundra bar next week 😊

23 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

WWhen the big barred grunter are running in the Burrum they love a bit of fresh mullet or dead or alive herring as well as the yabbies. As @MSB said, circle hooks and wait for the fish to hook themselves. They hit hard and taste great.

Hi Scaley

Haven't caught the same size in the passage as you get up Central Qld way, big one in the passage is 55cm but they put up a fight of a much larger fish, I either egg & breadcrumb them with rice crumbs and deep fry in sunflower oil, or just dust them with rice flour and shallow fry in olive oil, bit of lemon, cold beer and some home made chips, home grown salad of black Russian tomatoes, capsicum and lettuce with a vinegarette of white vinegar and brown sugar, what more could you want , mate if you are still looking at taking Mr's Scaley camping to Mission Pt in April, you will need to book soon 😎

MSB

2 hours ago, benno573 said:

Mate you are on. Do you have days of the week that you prefer? 

13 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks @MSB. I would love to set up a day’s fishing with you in a few weeks. On jury service at the moment so can’t make any plans until that is over. Might see if @ellicat, @Drop Bear and/or @benno573 are interested and we could do a trip in 2 boats, or I will just pop up and deckie for you.

Im keen as mate. Great Idea. Quampie is rip ready go to! 

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks @MSB. I would love to set up a day’s fishing with you in a few weeks. On jury service at the moment so can’t make any plans until that is over. Might see if @ellicat, @Drop Bear and/or @benno573 are interested and we could do a trip in 2 boats, or I will just pop up and deckie for you.

Anytime Scaley , prefer during the week if you can, lot less traffic on the water , just let me know 

Archived