Farnborough Beach

natang

Well weather was amazing and tides lined up so I finished school at 230 and snuck away went to BCF got some dodgy prawns and some metal slugs gradbed some diesel and headed straight to Farnborough beach. Drove the 17km to the top where the mouth of the river is and was surprised it was like 500m-a lot longer across with pools of water throughout. Since I was on my own I decided to stay safe on the hardish sand. Parked up about 100m from low tide mark as there were loads of holes al over place full of ghost crabs and toad fish... 1.5hrs later not a single bite. saw a big break of herring splashing just out of casting distance. If I had of known the beach better I would of parked close to water line and had my 13ft surf rod with metal slug ready for the salmon or mackerel that were chasing the herring....Alas I am new to the area and learning....

Good tides and reasonable moon on Saturday so I might go again then....

Tight lines.

Bribie.jpg

fullsizeoutput_27f.jpeg

@Drop Bear @Old ScaleyHey thanks guys! It is great to be back out fishing and moving walking around the beach and smelling fresh sea air. I think I rediscovered my appreciation for life and what it is. I have stacked on a fair bit of weight in last few years due to divorce and losing everything I had then rebuilding life slowly as one does when they have the dreaded Black Dog and I drank wayyyyy toooooooooo much and stopped moving. I spent last year broke on dole finishing a uni degree all year. Then had all my rods stolen  apart from my surf rods, so taken a while to slowly buy a couple of spin and baitcaster and rebuild tackle collection. Now I am on a contract with EDQLD in Yeppoon I am spending too much time at BCF again...... Have to be careful there. It is great living so close to beach though and being able to leave home and be on beach in car 5 mins later. Might head tonight to Ross Creek its a 1030pm high tide and they are big tides at the moment. Water is about 3-4 meters deep over  sand / mud flats but the channel is deeper again, big barra, queenies and salmon according to locals if you get it right.... Hopefully my spin rod 1-3kg or bait caster 2-5kg can hold up to one if I manage a hook up......

@benno573 I have already rigged up my smaller surf rod with a metal slug on it for next time to be prepared I'll park a but closer to water and have it ready...

Keep you updated on adventures for next 6 weeks I have left here then it's back to Ipswich and hopefully putting boat back on water!

1 hour ago, natang said:

@Drop Bear @Old ScaleyHey thanks guys! It is great to be back out fishing and moving walking around the beach and smelling fresh sea air. I think I rediscovered my appreciation for life and what it is. I have stacked on a fair bit of weight in last few years due to divorce and losing everything I had then rebuilding life slowly as one does when they have the dreaded Black Dog and I drank wayyyyy toooooooooo much and stopped moving. I spent last year broke on dole finishing a uni degree all year. Then had all my rods stolen  apart from my surf rods, so taken a while to slowly buy a couple of spin and baitcaster and rebuild tackle collection. Now I am on a contract with EDQLD in Yeppoon I am spending too much time at BCF again...... Have to be careful there. It is great living so close to beach though and being able to leave home and be on beach in car 5 mins later. Might head tonight to Ross Creek its a 1030pm high tide and they are big tides at the moment. Water is about 3-4 meters deep over  sand / mud flats but the channel is deeper again, big barra, queenies and salmon according to locals if you get it right.... Hopefully my spin rod 1-3kg or bait caster 2-5kg can hold up to one if I manage a hook up......

@benno573 I have already rigged up my smaller surf rod with a metal slug on it for next time to be prepared I'll park a but closer to water and have it ready...

Keep you updated on adventures for next 6 weeks I have left here then it's back to Ipswich and hopefully putting boat back on water!

Great post Natang, So glad you can see some light at the end of the black dog tunnel. Its a tough one. 

There are a lot worse things to be spending your money on than at BCF... I can tell you...

Mate those spots must be ideal to soak some larger soft plastics? All those species take them as well as plenty of others.

I love reading your reports. Keep getting out there and enjoying the sea air and remote beaches. Oh and catch a cracking Barra!!

22 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great post Natang, So glad you can see some light at the end of the black dog tunnel. Its a tough one. 

There are a lot worse things to be spending your money on than at BCF... I can tell you...

Mate those spots must be ideal to soak some larger soft plastics? All those species take them as well as plenty of others.

I love reading your reports. Keep getting out there and enjoying the sea air and remote beaches. Oh and catch a cracking Barra!!

Hey @Drop Bear I went back up beach again after school yesterday. dead Low unfortunately but found a nice big gutter and worked it with a metal slug for about 45 mins but the surf started to get really rough and there was soo much weed that appeared. Tide pushes in so fast up here compared to down South. You'll be standing on the beach in shin deep water then you have a gap of 10 meters between you and the water then knee height water. It had about a 5min cycle of changing through the cycle and then repeat.  I've never seen a palm tree wash up on the beach before until yesterday. I got a few taps but nothing interesting. Tomorrow morning looks the goods high tide of 4.4m at 1145am so I will go down at around 8ish and fish run in. think I'll soak some pillies. I left all my SP's at home thought they got stolen too but found that bag in the boat a month ago. Forgot to bring them with me. Heading to the local tackle shop today it's called "The Secret Spot" hopefully he has some knowledge for me.

Only bad thing to up here is the tides were that high yesterday coming back into down between schools I had to drive through a foot of saltwater across the road so the under carriage of the cruiser got sprayed. I'll spend Saturday afternoon with a tin of Asahi for me and a 4lt bottle of Lanolin for the cruiser.

Hey lads,

Spent Saturday morning at Ross Creek no bites at all, in fact the other 15 people there were the same none of us got anything so after a few hours I headed down the Causeway Lake. First cast I caught a nice little bream around the 20cm mark, then a few little ones. After about an hour the Wind got up to 20-30knots from nothing so kinda deflated the fishing, couldn't keep line tight in water from wind. Sunday the same results then spent 2 hours washing under the car and spraying everything with lanolin. 3 tins it took this time to coast chassis and all suspension and anything that can rust... Looks like the wind is coming back up towards us again now after a week of not too much wind. Driving home Saturday afternoon my Landcruiser was being blown off the road the winds were that strong along the water front.

All good anytime sitting near the water is good time. Fresh salt air on the face and sun in sky. Locals say it's pretty fished out and they have only recently stopped trawlers in close so things are rebuilding. It's good to see baby fish around though so long as others are doing the same work for conservation...

18 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Let me know if you've got a spare day this week Robbie and I'll drop off my Pajero with a tin of Asahi and some lanolin ........... 🙂 

Good read @natang - good luck soaking the pillies, hope you hook something nice.

Ok mate make it a carton and you are on. 🙂 You had better bring something to put on the BBQ as well. 

2 hours ago, natang said:

All good anytime sitting near the water is good time. Fresh salt air on the face and sun in sky. Locals say it's pretty fished out and they have only recently stopped trawlers in close so things are rebuilding. It's good to see baby fish around though so long as others are doing the same work for conservation...

Good to hear it is on the mend. Keep at it and Im sure you will crack it. Did the tackle shop give you any pointers? 

On 19/02/2019 at 9:12 PM, natang said:

Well weather was amazing and tides lined up so I finished school at 230 and snuck away went to BCF got some dodgy prawns and some metal slugs gradbed some diesel and headed straight to Farnborough beach. Drove the 17km to the top where the mouth of the river is and was surprised it was like 500m-a lot longer across with pools of water throughout. Since I was on my own I decided to stay safe on the hardish sand. Parked up about 100m from low tide mark as there were loads of holes al over place full of ghost crabs and toad fish... 1.5hrs later not a single bite. saw a big break of herring splashing just out of casting distance. If I had of known the beach better I would of parked close to water line and had my 13ft surf rod with metal slug ready for the salmon or mackerel that were chasing the herring....Alas I am new to the area and learning....

Good tides and reasonable moon on Saturday so I might go again then....

Tight lines.

Bribie.jpg

fullsizeoutput_27f.jpeg

great photos 

8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Good to hear it is on the mend. Keep at it and Im sure you will crack it. Did the tackle shop give you any pointers? 

Nah for a surprise BCF was more friendly and more helpful... Local tackle shop was a bit abrasive and more interested in the local friends that came in while I was there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back at the spot today this time 20mins after high tide and fished for two hours run out in a nice big gutter. Using pilchard cubes I managed 4 nice big Dart all around the 35cm mark. Also whilst reeling bait in through a bait school had a nice size queen follow it in to the shallows... IMG_5491.thumb.jpg.1b4158e315af0d6aeee89343bba0e43c.jpg

21 hours ago, natang said:

Back at the spot today this time 20mins after high tide and fished for two hours run out in a nice big gutter. Using pilchard cubes I managed 4 nice big Dart all around the 35cm mark. Also whilst reeling bait in through a bait school had a nice size queen follow it in to the shallows... IMG_5491.thumb.jpg.1b4158e315af0d6aeee89343bba0e43c.jpg

I like dart. They are great to eat. Very underrated. 

Shame about the queenie. At least you know they are there. 

Good on you for persevering. Glad you got a few. 

Back again yesterday and even bigger dart around 40cm mark and a school of queenies again swimming 15m in front of me so I cast a popper at them then swapped to slug and swapped to another lure as they hung round for about 20 min but alas nothing would get them to bite. Then I got absolutely smashed on my bait and it peeled off about 100m line and 30mins later got it in and it was one of the most beautiful sting Rays I have ever seen.. Called a Bluespotted sting ray. Had aerial acrobatics and all sorts of fun....... The queenies I will get before I go. I have three weeks left here and then looks like I might be off to Childers for a contract for remainder of the year. 45min to Bunderberg, Maryborough, Burrum Heads and Hervey bay and barge to Fraser! Could be worse......... But looks like boat is going to be for sale to buy a caravan to live in as rent in Childers is ridiculous for what your paying for.  Where as caravan park is $175 a week including electricity......... image.png.138af7146b9ad35bf5b0d13438f1b699.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/03/2019 at 4:31 PM, natang said:

Back again yesterday and even bigger dart around 40cm mark and a school of queenies again swimming 15m in front of me so I cast a popper at them then swapped to slug and swapped to another lure as they hung round for about 20 min but alas nothing would get them to bite. Then I got absolutely smashed on my bait and it peeled off about 100m line and 30mins later got it in and it was one of the most beautiful sting Rays I have ever seen.. Called a Bluespotted sting ray. Had aerial acrobatics and all sorts of fun....... The queenies I will get before I go. I have three weeks left here and then looks like I might be off to Childers for a contract for remainder of the year. 45min to Bunderberg, Maryborough, Burrum Heads and Hervey bay and barge to Fraser! Could be worse......... But looks like boat is going to be for sale to buy a caravan to live in as rent in Childers is ridiculous for what your paying for.  Where as caravan park is $175 a week including electricity......... image.png.138af7146b9ad35bf5b0d13438f1b699.png

Yep they are spectacular rays. Any trips since? Sounds like you have your hands full. 

Hey man,

I had a few more trips and found a nice Mazda Tribute. More dart and Blue Salmon but no phone for pics as i kept forgetting to charge it. 

Back in Ipswich now for two weeks before probs taking a contract in Childers for remainder of year.

AA91C656-6150-4D4C-B5E9-A201E639C3BE.jpeg

Archived