Mackerel Mania During Cyclone Oma

tugger

Went down the gold coast yesterday with lance to fish for mackerel with cyclone Oma approaching as we won't get another chance for a while. We headed for mermaid reef once we got out of southport seaway with the sea calm I put the hammer down.

20190219_090344.thumb.jpg.f09cdee2c0002f92a6ddf4677b207f99.jpg

We floated out pilchards and a live yakka but with no mackerel hits after a few hours the decision was made to move. We headed back up near the seaway and found a nice bommie on the sounder to sit on.

We jigged up some bigger yakkas and as I was winding in a small yakka we set early to change it for a bigger bait when the little yakka was hit and the reel screamed. The fish took a few long fast runs with a spotty mackerel darting from 1 side of the boat to the other he finally was slowed and we had our 1st Mackie in the boat.

As we got the fish bled and in the box there was no time to rest as soon as another yakka was set it was inhaled and the rod buckled over. Lance took the rod and fought a likely Spanish mackerel but it spat the hook after a quick run.

This happened again as soon as another live yakka was set and I fought what I thought was a small fish but after it's 2nd run it really woke up and speed increased on a couple more runs. A nice Spanish came into view and we got a 1.2m long Spaniard in the box.

With more burleigh came more spotties and they were soon swimming right up to the back of the boat eating the cubes of pillies drifting out. It started a hour of power with spotties taking every bait we could get out but most fish were lost.

We boated another 3 spotties losing many more mainly to them running around the anchor rope. It was fun watching them in the burleigh trail and able to see them take the bait.

Lance hooked another Spanish but it must of shook its head and the hook then foul hooking it and he then had no chance of turning this big fish. The wind finally got above 5 knots and the fish went off the bite so we headed for home. 

Fantastic day on the water and a few nice fish for a feed is what makes a happy fisherman.

20190220_135617.thumb.jpg.665ef0efd3cbb59966ade5d59752e857.jpg

It was just one of those days Robbie.

Too many fish hitting baits at the same time will usually end up with lots of lost mackeral, it is just the nature of those fish when using light wire.

Add a bit of bad luck to the mix as well but it still makes for a fun session.

We did not find the fish till after 10am and we only had just over an hour on them so we still ended up with a nice catch in that short time.

Thanks Mark for another great day out, we will go find them again after the cyclone has passed.

16 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Too many fish hitting baits at the same time will usually end up with lots of lost mackeral, it is just the nature of those fish when using light wire.

We did not find the fish till after 10am and we only had just over an hour on them so we still ended up with a nice catch in that short time.

Thanks Mark for another great day out, we will go find them again after the cyclone has passed.

Thats awesome. Sounds like a crazy fun hour!! 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great effort. What a top feed you will have for the next few days/weeks. 

How good seeing fish hitting baits at the back of the boat. 

Sounds like you dropped a lot of fish. Anything you could put that down to? 

That's mackerel fishing when it's a hot bite sometimes you can catch  them all most of the time it's 50/50

5 minutes ago, tugger said:

Water will be dirty for weeks maybe a month if we get flooding rains and will shut all offshore down glad I got out 

I looked for a positive for all us that didn’t get out 🤪 As long as it’s not to much rain, a 100mm should be fine and get some crustaceans moving. 

Oh well, back to the boat sanding 😊 another positive. 

3 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Bloody awesome weather excellent company and a feed of fish it doesn't get better lance we got to get up to 1770 soon to

1 minute ago, Luvit said:

I looked for a positive for all us that didn’t get out 🤪 As long as it’s not to much rain, a 100mm should be fine and get some crustaceans moving. 

Oh well, back to the boat sanding 😊 another positive. 

Yes it will get the prawns and crabs running hope we don't get to much rain and we will be right 

2 minutes ago, tugger said:

Bloody awesome weather excellent company and a feed of fish it doesn't get better lance we got to get up to 1770 soon to

If there is an opportunity I'll be heading up when weather allows. Be good to see a group up there again. 

5 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I should have been clearer. Not this Saturday to Tuesday but any the weather is playing ball. Could also do a Friday to Monday.

Just can not go on a thursday.

Yep I understood. I was just being a little bit too keen 🙂

It has been a long time since I have caught a RTE (my favourite)... a lot lot longer since I caught a Red... 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep I understood. I was just being a little bit too keen 🙂

It has been a long time since I have caught a RTE (my favourite)... a lot lot longer since I caught a Red... 

Another 1770 trip cannot come quick enough.....

Lost count of the number of RTE Wayne and I threw back during our November trip @Drop Bear !!!

Reds and more Reds is the aim next mission.

Archived