1770 Next 2 Weekends

Anglen

G'day

I was wondering what thoughts may be out there as for how the weather and conditions may play out for a fish at 1770 this weekend or next.

I'd be interested to hear your views on what effects tides, swells, current, barometer, lows and highs may have given that Oma has now passed.

We can all read the weather, but I'm looking more at condition assessments from knowledgeable fishos with more experience than I as to what other things beside low winds mean to fishing success.

Does the reef shut down after a big blow or does it explode into life. Does barometric pressure have bearing on trout in 6m of water etc. Do emperors rise to shallower depths to feed or go deeper etc type stuff.

Cheers

You would have to be a real local or have fished it as a pro to know everything your asking I do know I have struggled getting good fish up there in a north westerly wind. Most chances we get with a good weather window we go it's hard enough just getting that than wanting all the ducks lined up with tides moon barometer weather. You do need good calm weather as you cross a lot of open water that is a priority the fish will come there is excellent fishing for it we are all waiting for the weather and there will be a few of us heading up.

Thanks Tugger

What I was sort of meaning was info relative to fishability. Does the storm action on the reef create agitation that clouds the water for weeks afterwards etc type stuff. Or does it have the effect of removing a layer or 2 of sh!t off the reef and there's a mad rush from fish to eat newly exposed coral polyps etc. 

We used to wait for big freshes down south to flush fish and push fresh water of the coast which then had a separating effect on offshore sea water and created thermoclines and virtual walls that marauding fish swam along feeding on fresh water disorientated bait fish. That type of stuff.

But I would be interested to know what thoughts are out there on barometric pressure on reef fish.

it certainly has an effect, generally a rising barometric pressure will encourage the fish to bite a bit better.  that being said, it has never stopped me going if the weather was up for it.  it was particularly eveident one day out off rainbow beach, there was squalls moving through all day, as the squalls approached and the bar locally dropped, the fish would develop lock jaw.  when the bar plateaued at the bottom, they would start biting again and as the squall moved off and the bar started to go back up was the best time to fish.  but if wind and swell say go, i wouldn't worry about the bar.  i would then just use it along with tides, moon phase, water temp, position of planets relative to certain stars and alike as a potential excuse after the fact if i didn't catch anything.

as far a cyclones affecting the reefs, providing the water has settled somewhat the demersal fish generally will still be active, given these are generally fairly resident fish in an area.  Pelagics on the other hand will be dispersed widely by poor water quality, they will generally get pushed out wide or move on from an area if the water is stirred up or there is a lot of run off.

Thanks Benno.

You just might find yourself......not in the mirror at 5am ...... but in the glassy reflection seen from the side of my boat as we land a pair of our wants n desires with the eastern rays bathing us in golden greetings. Ahhh can you put down that razor..... n get on da boat, we got catchin ta do..

As a newb to the forum, I appreciate the input, and look forward to rafting up with some jerricans, damn AFO autospell I meant aaaafrikans ahhh fark AFO I'm tryin to to type larry cans! does that pass security?

Much aaaaahhhhh ppreciated 573.

Did I mention I have a stutter.

Cheers

Ok so I made the effort to head to 1770 Friday night, with a view to fishing SSMT and having a look for myself re the weather
impacts I had raised earlier in my post.

I had spoken to Luv-It about a possible hook up n intro in and around Sykes area and was keen to do so. As it turned out we
didn't get this opportunity. Perhaps next time.

I also had a mate heading up sat to fish Sunday.

Over all we had a good trip but missed a few good keepers, lost a few excellent fish to the suits (plenty around) and took a few good fish home
too. We ended up with 7 trout, 1 cod, 18 Lippers, 10 parrot 1 moses n 2 husser plus 1 squid

Conditions were poor (start) to good (Sun) excellent (Mon) to fair (Tues)

Water clarity was excellent in shore and off with some evidence of turbidity in the deeper channels between reefs.

A few stats (approx)
Fuel Bris return (diesel) 230L (100km)
Boat Fuel 95r 260L Water kms 290Kms
Boat economy 1.1km (due to weight)
Yammy F150 
Vessel load 1.8-2T

My mate had a good session wide off the northern reefs within the permitted zones with a good bag of Red emporers, Nannygai, Coral trout, Coronation trout, Cod and Parrots

Yes 1770 did turn it on this past weekend given the weather effects of Oma passing. Given we both fished different lines I was able to answer some questions I raised earlier in my post and for that I am somewhat fish wiser.

Till next time, HooRoo

Anglen

20190310_161645 (Medium).jpg

Haul 1 (Medium).jpg

Haul 2 (Medium).jpg

Synoptic 4 days of trip incl summary (Medium).png

On 06/03/2019 at 9:06 PM, Anglen said:

Thanks Benno.

You just might find yourself......not in the mirror at 5am ...... but in the glassy reflection seen from the side of my boat as we land a pair of our wants n desires with the eastern rays bathing us in golden greetings. Ahhh can you put down that razor..... n get on da boat, we got catchin ta do..

As a newb to the forum, I appreciate the input, and look forward to rafting up with some jerricans, damn AFO autospell I meant aaaafrikans ahhh fark AFO I'm tryin to to type larry cans! does that pass security?

Larakins perhaps? 🤣

Mate always keen for a fish from estuary to offshore so if you would like some company or someone to share the costs with let me know.  happy to share some spots locally around Bris as well. 

Some quality trout in that lot you got mate too - shame about the tax man though!  glad you got out there amongst it.

It was a pity we didn’t come across each other while on the water. You have answered your own questions by doing the trip, the best way. Every trip we learn something new which keeps it exciting. 

I hadn’t heard of the Nannygai being caught up there before. Will be another new species to target once we get the Reds more consistently. 

I see how l go putting a report together over the weekend. 

2 hours ago, Luvit said:

It was a pity we didn’t come across each other while on the water. You have answered your own questions by doing the trip, the best way. Every trip we learn something new which keeps it exciting. 

I hadn’t heard of the Nannygai being caught up there before. Will be another new species to target once we get the Reds more consistently. 

I see how l go putting a report together over the weekend. 

Hurry up!!!!

I just thought I'd post an update.

Bloody hell these trout taste good!!!!!!!!!! We ate lippers everynight on-board.
The wife's off away this weekend and reckons I'll have scales by the time she gets back. I said don't be silly love. I'll just have a gut full of fish and a bigger brain again.

Thanks for the ++ comments guys.

I'll always have a spot for a keen fisho onboard so stay in touch even if I drop off the system due to other commitments and focus.

I'm already planning my next assault as I want my Nanny!!! and so does Luv-It now he knows about them after our phone catch up today.

Here's a shot of a Big Angry Trout. Nudged 5 on the scale. Thick, solid and heavy.
Why do they go this colour from bright orange / red. Change of sex? Cave dwelling? Old age? Enlighten me trout whisperers.

Everything's been cleaned up, filleted n cryovaced now. Only the coral cod had worm this time around which was a relief. The neighbours got a feed and the beers are flowing.

Did I mention how good these trout steaks are??? with beers and sangria - now you're really jealous. Ok I'll stop it now.

Cheers
Anglen

Angry trout 2.jpg

18 hours ago, Anglen said:

Ok I'll stop it now.

Na mate we love it. Most of us have had the pleasure of eating quality fish like these and love hearing about it. Personally it makes me keener to go out again. Good on ya. Enjoy your feasts. 

Oh and can you see the 2 large mouths in my profile pic? Had a great trip a few years ago out of Townsville and brained them. 

Archived