Scaley Bear’s Prawn Free Adventure

Old Scaley

I wanted to take advantage of the rare break in the windy weather that we seem to have had forever lately, so organised a morning trip with @Drop Bear in his tub.

Left the Port of Brisbane ramp at about 7.30am and dropped pots off at a couple of promising spots.  Plan was to throw prawn nets around in Koopa Channel as my research said that was a promising spot. We sounded around for a while, saw a few small shows that may or may not have been prawns.  Long story short, we didn’t find a single prawn.  We had a look closer in to Nudgee Beach for no result.

we decided that prawning was not going to productive so we went exploring and @Drop Bear showed me a few creeks and other “secret” spots. It was a really interesting exercise and I saw spots that I had previously driven past. We ended up at Mud Island for a quick 30 minute session on the run out tide. I had some left over livies (deadies?) from my last trip and the bite was constant with a couple of undersize grassies and squire coming in. Then I had a good hit and In came a nice fat 52cm cod.  Donut averted and dinner sorted. Soon after Robbie managed a legal grassy. Time was running out to get to the pots before the tide got too low, so off we went. We had 8 pots out but only managed 1 legal muddie and 1 legal sandy.

So, overall, not a great catch, but the weather was brilliant, the company excellent and I got to try out my new net. A couple of photos for you.

D2A0BE45-B495-468E-B5B1-8E37BD571B46.jpeg

EAB29D3E-B3CE-46C1-882F-93F41EF13F1E.jpeg

9C5E3317-3F57-4894-B1EE-E4475BF6E8AE.jpeg

Definitely a good day to be out and fresh cod are one of the best imo. Sux about the prawns even the pine and Cabo have died a bit this week. I reckon this season is gonna be a bit of a write off. That muddy looks nice and dark though, mite have to run some pots soon this weather/ lack of rain is doing my head in.

Nice cod there Steve and always good to get a muddie, even if only one. Geez looking at Robbie's cap and collar-less shirt I bet he was nice and red by the end of it ......... Was a hot and humid day at work today - off to bed early before doing it all again tomorrow ...... 😞  BTW conditions looked awesome!!

14 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I wanted to take advantage of the rare break in the windy weather that we seem to have had forever lately, so organised a morning trip with @Drop Bear in his tub.

Left the Port of Brisbane ramp at about 7.30am and dropped pots off at a couple of promising spots.  Plan was to throw prawn nets around in Koopa Channel as my research said that was a promising spot. We sounded around for a while, saw a few small shows that may or may not have been prawns.  Long story short, we didn’t find a single prawn.  We had a look closer in to Nudgee Beach for no result.

we decided that prawning was not going to productive so we went exploring and @Drop Bear showed me a few creeks and other “secret” spots. It was a really interesting exercise and I saw spots that I had previously driven past. We ended up at Mud Island for a quick 30 minute session on the run out tide. I had some left over livies (deadies?) from my last trip and the bite was constant with a couple of undersize grassies and squire coming in. Then I had a good hit and In came a nice fat 52cm cod.  Donut averted and dinner sorted. Soon after Robbie managed a legal grassy. Time was running out to get to the pots before the tide got too low, so off we went. We had 8 pots out but only managed 1 legal muddie and 1 legal sandy.

So, overall, not a great catch, but the weather was brilliant, the company excellent and I got to try out my new net. A couple of photos for you.

D2A0BE45-B495-468E-B5B1-8E37BD571B46.jpeg

EAB29D3E-B3CE-46C1-882F-93F41EF13F1E.jpeg

9C5E3317-3F57-4894-B1EE-E4475BF6E8AE.jpeg

Robbie is that your personal jet in the background

14 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Yep thanks Steve I had a great day. Top company and stunning conditions. Glass all the way to the cape. 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice cod there Steve and always good to get a muddie, even if only one. Geez looking at Robbie's cap and collar-less shirt I bet he was nice and red by the end of it ......... Was a hot and humid day at work today - off to bed early before doing it all again tomorrow ...... 😞  BTW conditions looked awesome!!

lots of sun screen but yes that shirt won't be my first choice again. It was a top day. 

Looks like perfect weather! Sorry about the muddle not being full that's a little disappointing. But the Cod looks the goods and very tasty from memory! Robbie you need one of those neck masks things. Try Ebay a mate of mine has a head like ET and he got one off eBay fits perfectly...

Archived