Old Scaley

queensland Scaley Bear’s Prawn Free Adventure

Definitely a good day to be out and fresh cod are one of the best imo. Sux about the prawns even the pine and Cabo have died a bit this week. I reckon this season is gonna be a bit of a write off. That muddy looks nice and dark though, mite have to run some pots soon this weather/ lack of rain is doing my head in.

Nice cod there Steve and always good to get a muddie, even if only one. Geez looking at Robbie's cap and collar-less shirt I bet he was nice and red by the end of it ......... Was a hot and humid day at work today - off to bed early before doing it all again tomorrow ......

Please login or register to view this image
  BTW conditions looked awesome!!

14 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I wanted to take advantage of the rare break in the windy weather that we seem to have had forever lately, so organised a morning trip with @Drop Bear in his tub.

Left the Port of Brisbane ramp at about 7.30am and dropped pots off at a couple of promising spots.  Plan was to throw prawn nets around in Koopa Channel as my research said that was a promising spot. We sounded around for a while, saw a few small shows that may or may not have been prawns.  Long story short, we didn’t find a single prawn.  We had a look closer in to Nudgee Beach for no result.

we decided that prawning was not going to productive so we went exploring and @Drop Bear showed me a few creeks and other “secret” spots. It was a really interesting exercise and I saw spots that I had previously driven past. We ended up at Mud Island for a quick 30 minute session on the run out tide. I had some left over livies (deadies?) from my last trip and the bite was constant with a couple of undersize grassies and squire coming in. Then I had a good hit and In came a nice fat 52cm cod.  Donut averted and dinner sorted. Soon after Robbie managed a legal grassy. Time was running out to get to the pots before the tide got too low, so off we went. We had 8 pots out but only managed 1 legal muddie and 1 legal sandy.

So, overall, not a great catch, but the weather was brilliant, the company excellent and I got to try out my new net. A couple of photos for you.

Please login or register to view this attachment

Robbie is that your personal jet in the background

14 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

So, overall, not a great catch, but the weather was brilliant, the company excellent and I got to try out my new net. A couple of photos for you.

Yep thanks Steve I had a great day. Top company and stunning conditions. Glass all the way to the cape. 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice cod there Steve and always good to get a muddie, even if only one. Geez looking at Robbie's cap and collar-less shirt I bet he was nice and red by the end of it ......... Was a hot and humid day at work today - off to bed early before doing it all again tomorrow ......

Please login or register to view this image
  BTW conditions looked awesome!!

lots of sun screen but yes that shirt won't be my first choice again. It was a top day. 

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

How did the new net go, Steve ?

The net went great, @ellicat, the thrower not so great. But it is a huge improvement on the old one. Just need more practice. Just wish I had the new net when we were out last. We would have got a good haul.

Edited by Old Scaley
Adding stuff