Today’s Efforts

jon

Decided to head out and make the most of today’s good forecast with some mates.  Started off just after dawn trying to nail a few parrot. They didn’t seem to be playing ball so the call was made to go flick for some Jew. Good call it was as first drift my mate nails a 77cm Jew. Did three more drifts with one of us hooking up each time even had a double at one stage. Unfortunately all fish bar one 71cm model were lost to the taxman. Feeling frustrated we focused on trying to nail a big tusky. No luck there unfortunately but did enjoy seeing a mate nearly get pulled over the gunnel fishing a locked drag torsa( This alone is more than enough needed to keep me going back for more lol) Things went quiet after this so headed off to grab some squid and have another crack at some parrot.  Water was nice and clear so the squidding went well with a couple of big ones going over a kilo for bait and some good eating small ones. Finally tally for the day was one Jew, 11 parrot of different species, and 15 to twenty squid. Was pretty good to be out in some nice calm conditions especially In the morning. Did pick up a bit in the arvo.A15B4CAE-EC9B-46D1-9094-B0C18B5F1017.thumb.jpeg.3e606c6e34565df9df5538fb43976523.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

You have to be happy with a bag like that @jon. Nice work. It sure was beautiful out there today, but at one stage @Drop Bear and I were hoping for a little breeze to cool us down.

Yeah it’ll be good eating tonight. It definitely got hot for a while there when those morning clouds cleared. Any luck on the fish front?

killing it mate.  promise the big squid taste just as good as the smaller ones!

have you considered trying large soldier crabs as bait?  just knowing the difficulties you have logistically to obtain ghost crabs or rock crabs.   pretty easy to obtain soldier crabs in a few locations along the wynnum/manly foreshores, i guess 2-3 large ones on a hook would potentially work?

9 hours ago, benno573 said:

have you considered trying large soldier crabs as bait?  just knowing the difficulties you have logistically to obtain ghost crabs or rock crabs.   pretty easy to obtain soldier crabs in a few locations along the wynnum/manly foreshores, i guess 2-3 large ones on a hook would potentially work?

Yeah I was thinking about that I’d say they would. I’ll give them a go sometime.

20 hours ago, benno573 said:

Hi Benno,

Can you shed some more light on how/where to catch them? Fished around Wynnum Jetty plenty of times, seen a lot of other types of crabs but never a soldier crabs. Do you catch them with your hands or set a trap? I have only caught them down the coast when i go pumping some yabbies.

On 08/03/2019 at 9:38 AM, Fisherman's gear said:

Hi Benno,

Can you shed some more light on how/where to catch them? Fished around Wynnum Jetty plenty of times, seen a lot of other types of crabs but never a soldier crabs. Do you catch them with your hands or set a trap? I have only caught them down the coast when i go pumping some yabbies.

You just pick them up when you see them. There are some in the northern end of Wynnum on the sand flats. You will have to go out a bit. 

Archived