Any Squid Gps Coordinates

jhedrick

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of posts I got a bit overwhelmed with the last one I was supposed to do and didn't end up doing it lol. 

Been pretty average lately and haven't even taken the boat out but hopefully that will change. Looks like I have to find work in the next two weeks as I will be getting the flick from here. 

Anyway back on topic, I was wondering if anyone knew any good squid spots by boat or land, it doesn't really matter. Also whats the most popular size, style and colour of squid Jig to use. 

Anyway I better get back to work. If anyone knows of any work around Brisbane let me know. 

Cheers

Jordan 

We get a few different species of squid in southern Queensland, but the main 2 types encountered will be arrows and tigers. The arrows are long and fairly thin, whilst the tigers are more solid and generally have a strikingly mottled body. One thing that all squid seem to favour is clean, clear water. If this flows over structure such as weed beds, reef, rubble grounds, or even areas with a discoloured bottom that provide squid with the ability to blend in and hide from their prey, then the likelihood of securing a few is heightened.

Good areas to search include the shallows around the bay islands (Peel, Green, Goat, Bird, Mud, King), the weed beds on the western side of Moreton and Stradbroke, areas of discoloured bottom along the edges of the Rous and Rainbow channels, and along any rock walls. Canal developments also provide good habitat for squid, due to the rock walls and the numerous jetties and pontoons affording them suitable ambush and egg laying spots.

Most squid only live for around a year and many can breed 3-5 times in this period. Therefore, it is better to take larger squid, which have already bred several times and are probably close to the end of their life, than the smaller specimens. Interestingly, squid have 4 brains, with 2 controlling each side of the body. I guess you would need more than 1 brain with so many arms and tentacles to operate.

For land-based squidders, there are a lot of places to try. During the lower stages of the tide, you can walk out to King Island to try your luck in the shallows. However, the higher tidal stages are generally preferred, especially for land-based activity.

The foreshores of Manly, Scarborough, Wellington Point and Victoria Point are good places to begin the search. Many areas of the canal developments can also be explored on Shank’s pony. Anywhere that you can access nice clear water is worth a try, although most squid activity will be concentrated around the reef, rubble, rock or weed bed areas, especially during the day when they are more conspicuous to predators in open water.

During the latter half of winter, westerly winds will increase in prevalence. These offshore breezes create crystal clear conditions close to shore, which is extremely favourable for squid fishing in these zones. Often, the water is so clear that you can spot the squid from an elevated position. Don’t cast directly at it, as you might spook it. Cast ahead or short and then begin retrieving, after allowing the jig to sink a little.

At night, squid can often be found closer to shore, especially around lighted areas that attract baitfish, prawns and other food sources. Due to their over-sized eyes, squid see exceptionally well at night and can be caught in the aforementioned ways. Additionally, however, they can first be spotlighted using a high-powered headlamp such as my 600 lumen Ferei. Even a 220 lumen head lamp will suffice and there are plenty on the market that are good.

Once a squid is spotted, the next step is to cast the jig close to it. I generally switch the headlamp off or to a lower setting to avoid spooking the target. Sometimes a sighted squid may require several egi changes to get it to respond, but on others they will pounce immediately. Squid can often be sighted without the use of a headlamp around

Hi tom, terrific post mate, I am also going to try my luck with these suckers this winter as I have a couple of perfect locations in pumicestone passage I can try, thanks for a great post

MSB 

4 hours ago, tom said:

We get a few different species of squid in southern Queensland, but the main 2 types encountered will be arrows and tigers. The arrows are long and fairly thin, whilst the tigers are more solid and generally have a strikingly mottled body. One thing that all squid seem to favour is clean, clear water. If this flows over structure such as weed beds, reef, rubble grounds, or even areas with a discoloured bottom that provide squid with the ability to blend in and hide from their prey, then the likelihood of securing a few is heightened.

Good areas to search include the shallows around the bay islands (Peel, Green, Goat, Bird, Mud, King), the weed beds on the western side of Moreton and Stradbroke, areas of discoloured bottom along the edges of the Rous and Rainbow channels, and along any rock walls. Canal developments also provide good habitat for squid, due to the rock walls and the numerous jetties and pontoons affording them suitable ambush and egg laying spots.

Most squid only live for around a year and many can breed 3-5 times in this period. Therefore, it is better to take larger squid, which have already bred several times and are probably close to the end of their life, than the smaller specimens. Interestingly, squid have 4 brains, with 2 controlling each side of the body. I guess you would need more than 1 brain with so many arms and tentacles to operate.

For land-based squidders, there are a lot of places to try. During the lower stages of the tide, you can walk out to King Island to try your luck in the shallows. However, the higher tidal stages are generally preferred, especially for land-based activity.

The foreshores of Manly, Scarborough, Wellington Point and Victoria Point are good places to begin the search. Many areas of the canal developments can also be explored on Shank’s pony. Anywhere that you can access nice clear water is worth a try, although most squid activity will be concentrated around the reef, rubble, rock or weed bed areas, especially during the day when they are more conspicuous to predators in open water.

During the latter half of winter, westerly winds will increase in prevalence. These offshore breezes create crystal clear conditions close to shore, which is extremely favourable for squid fishing in these zones. Often, the water is so clear that you can spot the squid from an elevated position. Don’t cast directly at it, as you might spook it. Cast ahead or short and then begin retrieving, after allowing the jig to sink a little.

At night, squid can often be found closer to shore, especially around lighted areas that attract baitfish, prawns and other food sources. Due to their over-sized eyes, squid see exceptionally well at night and can be caught in the aforementioned ways. Additionally, however, they can first be spotlighted using a high-powered headlamp such as my 600 lumen Ferei. Even a 220 lumen head lamp will suffice and there are plenty on the market that are good.

Once a squid is spotted, the next step is to cast the jig close to it. I generally switch the headlamp off or to a lower setting to avoid spooking the target. Sometimes a sighted squid may require several egi changes to get it to respond, but on others they will pounce immediately. Squid can often be sighted without the use of a headlamp around

What an amazing post. Thanks for the tips I'm going to try some of those locations. I might try some land based first then onto mud Island when I can actually get the boat out. You're a champion thank you 

8 hours ago, tom said:

Great post thanks for the info. 

Awesome post @tom. They can get thick on the eastern side of Green Island, especially as the water clears. In my limited experience (hoping to change that .....) they seem to go quiet on the change of tide and then fire up as the tide turns. Good luck @jhedrick - yummy target that are well worth the effort chasing. Also, good luck on the job hunt - what sort of work do you do out of interest?

33 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Awesome post @tom. They can get thick on the eastern side of Green Island, especially as the water clears. In my limited experience (hoping to change that .....) they seem to go quiet on the change of tide and then fire up as the tide turns. Good luck @jhedrick - yummy target that are well worth the effort chasing. Also, good luck on the job hunt - what sort of work do you do out of interest?

I have had so many different jobs over my life man. Umm the job I actually cared about was probably camp manager for a mining site. At the moment I'm just a forklift driver for coca cola but that is definitely coming to an end. I've also made wine, worked security, managed retail stores, labourer, worked at seaworld and heaps more. I am after a career though at some stages. Very sick of working jobs where you can't move up. 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Lets do a lot of this this year. They should be there about now! 

Archived