Moreton Bay Fishing Report Saturday 9 March 2019

Poddymullet

Hi all,

Finally got a small window - family wise and weather wise - to get out for a fish...feels like months but it has only been 3 weeks or so. 

Was going to hit it super early but decided to have a snooze in and have breakfast with the family before heading off around 7.30 for Scarborough. The weather was looking pretty good with only a blow up from lunchtime onwards. Ramp was a bit busy but still managed to get on the water at 8.30 and just decided to take it easy and headed to the mile in the hope of some Macks...but to be honest I just wanted to get the boat on the water and cruise with the new Merc 90CT...having only 3.5 hrs on it makes me itchy. Highly recommend anyone looking in the 90 bracket to take a look at the Merc as well....bloody awesome, quiet and definitely a bit more downstairs in the torque department compared to the Yamaha 90 - which is a great block as well...and my previously preferred choice. 

IMG_4594.jpg.b8da5672db2a4068b6db10d4c66d8452.jpgBit of chop on the way out ... nothing the Scout couldn't handle at 28kts 🙂 got to the mile and there was only one other boat there anchored. Did my stealth crawl in with the motor guide and just keep eyeballing the sounder seeing ridiculous sized schools going underneath me. I kept spinning but to no avail...moved around the beacon trying to get some livies which was hard going but got two small yakka ... both out on a live bait rig but never touched 😞 Spent about 2 hrs with not much to show at all. The other guys got some small Macks but nothing else. Plenty of birds on the surface too with schools blowing up here and there. 

Had to head home feeling a bit down but still had a cracking day... check out this sounder image it was like for most of the morning. 

On 11/03/2019 at 5:46 PM, Poddymullet said:

Hi all,

Finally got a small window - family wise and weather wise - to get out for a fish...feels like months but it has only been 3 weeks or so. 

Was going to hit it super early but decided to have a snooze in and have breakfast with the family before heading off around 7.30 for Scarborough. The weather was looking pretty good with only a blow up from lunchtime onwards. Ramp was a bit busy but still managed to get on the water at 8.30 and just decided to take it easy and headed to the mile in the hope of some Macks...but to be honest I just wanted to get the boat on the water and cruise with the new Merc 90CT...having only 3.5 hrs on it makes me itchy. Highly recommend anyone looking in the 90 bracket to take a look at the Merc as well....bloody awesome, quiet and definitely a bit more downstairs in the torque department compared to the Yamaha 90 - which is a great block as well...and my previously preferred choice. 

IMG_4594.jpg.b8da5672db2a4068b6db10d4c66d8452.jpgBit of chop on the way out ... nothing the Scout couldn't handle at 28kts 🙂 got to the mile and there was only one other boat there anchored. Did my stealth crawl in with the motor guide and just keep eyeballing the sounder seeing ridiculous sized schools going underneath me. I kept spinning but to no avail...moved around the beacon trying to get some livies which was hard going but got two small yakka ... both out on a live bait rig but never touched 😞 Spent about 2 hrs with not much to show at all. The other guys got some small Macks but nothing else. Plenty of birds on the surface too with schools blowing up here and there. 

Had to head home feeling a bit down but still had a cracking day... check out this sounder image it was like for most of the morning. 

Sounds like a nice day on the water all the same. Thanks for posting up. I thought I was the only one that posted up a donut hahaha.

I was camped at Blakesleys with some mates on the Friday to Sunday. Fished hard (before cocktail hour) on Friday and Saturday but the fishing was poor. A few Bream and Tarwine, undersized squire. Heaps of sandcrabs though and a few arrow squid around the weedbanks. Saw more dugongs this trip than any previous trip so that was a bonus. Beautiful conditions but the water is still murky from all the recent wind I guess.

Archived