Looking For Advice On Lures For Flathead And Bream

ilyb

Been a long time since I chased flatties on lures, around 15years. Caught most of them on crawdad hard bodies and double tail mr twister soft plastic grubs.

for the hard bodies, I liked something 50-100mm long that dive deep enough so it would hit along the bottom.

After finally getting a boat and visiting a few tackle stores, since you don’t see many of the lures I mention I’m sure there are better things out there.

Look foreword to seeing what people recommend! 

Will you be flicking around the pontoons or just off the bank ?

There's honestly a million lures to choose from but I'll tell you a few that I use right now that will produce if used correctly.

Plastics, 

Squidgee Biotough Wriggler 120mm ( Flathead )

Zman 4" Streakz ( Flathead )

Zman 2" Grubz ( Bream )

Holt Productions Swim Prawn 3" ( Anything that swims will attack it, but they are hard to get )

Hard body lures

Atomic Hardz Crank, mid and deep ( Bream )

River2Sea bubble pop 45 in any clear colour ( Bream )

Atomic Shiners in mid and deep 70mm - 100mm ( Flathead )

If you want to spend some coin you can go for things like Daiwa double Clutches and Bassday Sugar deeps but it can get a bit pricey casting them around snags.

If you only wanted to grab a couple to start off I'd go one packet of Zman 2" grubs and one Atomic Hardz cranks deep. You'd get change out of $30 and most fish would happily belt them.

Good luck.

Nice fresh raw prawns , or nice fresh strips of yellow tail, lob out no sinker and let it drift away with tide.  Lay the rod down with the spool in free-spool or the bail-arm disengaged and relax - guarantee you'll catch whiting, bream and flathead and even pick up the occasional crab.

I'm of the attitude that I fish for relaxation, endlessly casting and retrieving an artificial lure is too much like hard work for me these day.

Archived