Best Brand Of Braid And Leader Line For Light Fishing

ilyb

I use 6lb Berkley nanofil but it is hard to find so I guess they have stopped making it. I bought some Suffix 6lb the other day for $2.99 a spool. Will try it this weekend.

One thing that is reasonably consistent across most braids is the breaking strain is generally overstated so 6lb is closer to 8-10lb etc.

On leader I use Berkley vanish. Don't buy actual leader they charge extra. Just buy flourocarbon line. Its the same stuff.

J-braid (daiwa) and Neo flouro (momoi) works well for me.
I've been testing tackle for years in all aspects of the sport and this combo is my go to nowadays offshore. Last Tues I did battle with a 200kg Tiger on J braid and Neo using a Gary Howard Sabre Offshore 15kg with a Tanacom Bull 1000. Electric from 65m to 40m. Manual battle for 20 mins 40m to surface. Cut the hook with him boatside. Re tied a new hook and landed a huge coral trout.

If you have the wallet try tasline and Neo. Never skimp on string I've learnt - from bitter experience.

Tight lines.

On 13/03/2019 at 12:36 PM, ilyb said:

Hi all,

I am just asking for your opinions on which brands on braid and leader line to use.

I am using 8-15 pound line.

Also the best brands for cheap as-well.

Thanks,

HI ilyb

You don't say whether you are bait fishing or lure fishing and what species you might be chasing, as a couple of guys have stated on the thread, braid will generally break at 50%+ over what is stated, so if you genuinely want to fish light and if you are fishing the estuaries and you are bait fishing , my personal opinion is stick to mono and if you are dead set serious use an IGFA rated mono, that way you are guaranteed it will break at the line rating.

I haven't commented on braid as I fish bait 90% of my trips and only ever fish estuaries, fishing deep water with braid would appear to make good sense as with no stretch you will feel the faintest of bites, but same deal applies using braid in deep water, if you think you are fishing with a 10kg breaking strain line, your are not, more like 16Kg .

My opinions only, don't want to start a s*** fight.

MSB

Archived