How To Catch Clean And Cook Squid

Angler1

Thought I’d share my latest video a 20-minute special on how to CATCH, CLEAN & COOK squid. 

Video can be seen here - https://youtu.be/8vGvxUImbRw 

On the weekend we launched from Altona and headed to shallow water around 4m deep and drifted around. Using a range of different squid jigs. ( 2.5g black and 3 gram UV white ) we catch our bag limit of squid. At which time we capture this footage and share some tips on targeting squid. We then take the squid home and show you how to clean and cook.

I made this video after receiving messages from followers asking for advice on this exact topic. This video highlights that even kids can catch squid and prepare a great meal. Enjoy the video, I hope these tips help you and remember to sub the channel.

TNSquid.jpg

That's a ridiculous number of rods on the go at one time per fisherman .  Really  3 rods each active .  The squid were thick enough that they could have caught just as many with just 1 or 2 rods each.

Certainly a lot easier catching squid from a boat than it is from the shore ( a jetty, wharf, breakwall, the lake shore or while wading the shallows).

Have you considered using a keeper that is made from wiremesh that can hung from the back of the boat , the squid will stay alive and fresh in it and will attract squid to the back of the boat - they are very curious critters, you often see two or three squid following the squid who's hooked on the jig .

I learnt a long time ago the easiest way to dehead and gut a squid is to

> dump the squids in a bucket with seawater in it while alive, bring them home in the bucket with water in it, helps keep the squid in prime condition (exposure to air and sunlight are your enemy wrt to keeping squid fresh)

> freeze the squid in individual freezer bags while pumped full of water

> when frozen solid , remove from bag and grab the head and give a good hard tug and the head will come off and a squid gut icecube will come away with all the internal organs intact in one hit and mess free.

> taking the skin and flaps off is easy when tubes have softened.

The tentacles are great crumbed and deepfried, even better as jew or snapper baits.

The hole heads are great jew baits if big enough.

The tubes can be sliced up for snapper baits, or cut to make rings for crumbing and deepfrying, or the tube butterflied for cooking on the BBQ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 7:06 PM, The fessor said:

when frozen solid , remove from bag and grab the head and give a good hard tug and the head will come off and a squid gut icecube will come away with all the internal organs intact in one hit and mess free.

That is a good tip. Never heard that before. I will give it a try. 

On ‎5‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, Drop Bear said:

@Angus showed me a trick where you use your fingernail into the hard bit of the head and pull away the tentacles. you get heaps more meat than if you use a knife. 

I would prefer to use the body for baits as I love the tentacles to eat the most. 

I prefer my squid done as salt & pepper crumbed strips or panko crumbed rings , deep fried.

As far as bait,

Big squid legs are a marvelous snapper bait , one whole leg per 4/0 or 6/0 stainless 540 or suicide hook , found squid find them irresistible off the rocks.

Nice and aerodynamic too , so can cast a L-O-N-G way using squid strips or legs as bait and a 4oz or 6oz snapper lead (25 pound to 30 pound mono).

Another tip is invest in one of those plastic eskys that holds a 6 pack of cans , and a reuseable iceblock (freeze it solid in the deep freeze) and take the bait from the deep freeze in the freezer bags and only thaw out a couple of whole bait sized squid at a time (only soft enough to push the hooks into the head and  tube).  I've done this for years and often get home after fishing for 20 hours with most my bait still frozen.

I find small freezer bags are perfect for freezing bait sized (tubes up to 10" long) squid , and one squid , at most two , per bag.

14 hours ago, The fessor said:

I prefer my squid done as salt & pepper crumbed strips or panko crumbed rings , deep fried.

As far as bait,

Big squid legs are a marvelous snapper bait , one whole leg per 4/0 or 6/0 stainless 540 or suicide hook , found squid find them irresistible off the rocks.

Nice and aerodynamic too , so can cast a L-O-N-G way using squid strips or legs as bait and a 4oz or 6oz snapper lead (25 pound to 30 pound mono).

Another tip is invest in one of those plastic eskys that holds a 6 pack of cans , and a reuseable iceblock (freeze it solid in the deep freeze) and take the bait from the deep freeze in the freezer bags and only thaw out a couple of whole bait sized squid at a time (only soft enough to push the hooks into the head and  tube).  I've done this for years and often get home after fishing for 20 hours with most my bait still frozen.

I find small freezer bags are perfect for freezing bait sized (tubes up to 10" long) squid , and one squid , at most two , per bag.

my problem is that I like to eat squid as much as snapper 🙂

Archived