A Productive Morning

Luvit

Saturday was to be a family day on the water with a little bit of lunch thrown in.

Julie and the kids were going to meet me at Spinnaker Sound around 10am. I solo launched at 5.30am and could not get a park at the ramp with it being so busy.

It was a calm morning with the wind forecast to rise after lunch. 

Sunrise gives you special feeling.

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.63ac7ead0f5b22d5b1bbde3066e08a52.JPG

As I headed out there were a few birds at the bottom end of Bribie and I could see good shows of bait. Rather than heading to a spot 20km away I thought I would give it a try and save some fuel.

For the next few hours as most boat past me by and some stayed the tell tail bust ups of Long tail tuna were everywhere. Although there were plenty there they were very spooky and hard to get close to. That's Moreton Bay tuna fishing though, with the typical boats coming in at high speed and putting the tuna down. 😔 

This was not getting anyone any fish so I moved off and marked schools of bait everywhere I could. Once I had plenty of marks to choose from I then positioned the boat so I would drift over a number of them and be away from all the other boats. I didn't have @Poddymullet phone number so I messaged him on AFO but, it seems he doesn't like catching tuna😂  (He didn't get the message till that night)

A lot of patience was needed as schools of tuna demolished the bait just out of casting range. There were some isolated splashes as I drifted with the current, I was deep jigging a soft plastic when it was hit at speed and I played a nice LT to the boat and after many circles out of net range the hook let go for some reason and it won its freedom.

The adrenaline was rising and shortly after a small bust up in casting range presented an opportunity.  The cast landed right in the middle of the foam resulting in an instant hook up. While playing the fish in I was thinking I hope they stick around till the family arrive. This one I got to the net safely and it went a little over 80cm and a nice solid fish. It's most satisfying when you put a plan in action and it comes together.

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.3f72301fa27495632b0a23e2114a1513.JPG

I hooked another one and pulled the hooks. As the morning marched on the aggression of the feeding tuna slowed and it was then time to pick the up the family. 

We loaded lunch and drinks and headed out with the kids pretty excited to hear there were tuna about.

Like before the tuna were still hard to approach without them going down but with the kids on the front of the boat at the ready to cast we managed to get a cast here and there. Luke was the first to land one which we released, to no avail because a shark was hot on it tail and exhaustion of the fight the shark caught up to for a bite to eat.

IMG_0565.thumb.JPG.bd010164103fcfad71c78f0d50837c07.JPG

James then picked one up that was sharked under the boat. Julie and I had a double hook up and this was to be Julie's first ever Longtail however the shark was still hungry.

IMG_0577.thumb.jpg.471c48b00df9c8ed152f2b6a0d9c7d2b.jpg

I managed to get mine in because Luke's gaff shot was good as the Tuan swam by.

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.61974e51ee1ce4a27e5187d73f554a3e.JPG

We kept a couple for dinner and some bait.

James with some by catch.

IMG_0576.thumb.JPG.63c01798da063c4d5187bb2ee1000250.JPG

IMG_0552.thumb.jpg.0d7575bc72170ef6d84cf87e3918d1bc.jpg

A great morning out and after lunch the wind picked up as predicted and we headed home.

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.433b7b6970b0c3472a6ea1609ffa07fa.JPG

893690696_IMG_0547(Edited).thumb.JPG.49c421f498e83518849c3e4822a37e8f.JPG

As hard as it may, I can not find where this doughnut shop is the @kmcrosby78 keeps going to😛

IMG_0520 (Edited).JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great report Wayne (well, apart from the bit insulting me ....... I can't help it, I like donuts ........ :frantics:). Quality day out with the family mate, well done!

Give them all a ‘B’ most will be happy and a couple will be disappointed but, then you will have time to go fishing 🙂

@Luvit you are shirt fronting me big time! I swear to the fishing gods I’ll never sleep in again OR not have AFO open on my phone all the time. As you said the bay was on fire and I should have abandoned the coffee rocks session for the Toona and finally meeting you. Hopefully next time 🙂 great report and photos mate. Great family shots...almost wish I had my cuddy cab back 🙂 almost 🙂

😂

We have your pledge in writing now. 

With them being so flighty l was missing the Scout with the electric motor. Would have made a difference in getting close enough for the cast. 

About 5 years ago the LT ran from now through to July in numbers off Bribie Island. Hope the same happens this year. Should be plenty more opportunities to get some. 

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

😂

We have your pledge in writing now. 

With them being so flighty l was missing the Scout with the electric motor. Would have made a difference in getting close enough for the cast. 

About 5 years ago the LT ran from now through to July in numbers off Bribie Island. Hope the same happens this year. Should be plenty more opportunities to get some. 

Pledge given 🙂 Here’s hoping your prediction is spot on! By the way all I managed was this for my trouble on a Saturday - so no donuts for me with this schoolie 

93EC7C7B-66B4-443B-9474-65F001A66485.jpeg

Archived