Health Insurance

rayke1938

17 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Just a heads up if you currently have health with one of the big funds have a look at their rates . I have just changed to Qld Country health fund who are Townsville based and have saved $1000 per year with exactly the same cover that I previously had with HCF who are also a not for profit fund. Qld Country do not subscribe to any of the comparison sites so do not pay a joining commission or trailing commissions and have lower management fees. Apparently HCF are owned by Mancheter Unity and pay management fees to Manchester Unity. Do a bit of research I am certain that you could save by looking around yourself instead of paying commission to the parasite comparison sites who tend to direct you to whoever gives them the biggest kick back.

Cheers Ray

mate good advice. I have been with one mob for years.. 

Private health insurance is if not the biggest con job in Australia right up there.  I ditched private health insurance way back in 1985 and never regretted doing so.  Pay the Medicare Levy and you are miles in front and will not be charged like bull in a china shop every time you see a doctor or if you go to hospital.

If you need a dentist , go to the hospital or save and make sure you have about $1000 set aside to cover stuff like fillings and RCTs and extractions.

Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the USA where private health insurance is linked to the job you have , and there is no UNIVERSIAL health insurance and a big percentage of americans have zero access to health services except the very basic if they are lucky.

6 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Depends weather you are prepared to wait 2 years for gall stones removal in the public system. The waiting system is a wrought as you have to wait to get on waiting list and that is not counted in the stats.

Cheers

Ray

I've never had to wait to have surgery , never got a bill for it either.

The waiting lists are just scare propaganda to get people to sign up for life time private health insurance before they turn 32 (?) yrs old.  I can tell you from experience that if you NEED surgery and you are a PUBLIC patient , you will get it AS SOON AS YOU NEED IT and you'll get exactly the same treatment by the same doctors and likely be in exactly the ward too , and you don't have to worry about gap payments .

try and tell that to my daughter in esk who only got bumped up after contacting local member and threatening to go to tv. She has 3 letters from health dept asking if she still wanted to be on list. I also have mate in redland bay waiting for knee replacement for 6 months and he can only walk with a stick maybe he does not want or need it.

Cheers Ray

21 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

try and tell that to my daughter in esk who only got bumped up after contacting local member and threatening to go to tv. She has 3 letters from health dept asking if she still wanted to be on list. I also have mate in redland bay waiting for knee replacement for 6 months and he can only walk with a stick maybe he does not want or need it.

Cheers Ray

Well I can only relate my personal first hand experiences. My wife and I have never been forced to wait for any procedures / surgeries.   Mind you none of these were "elective" either.

Jumping the queue is neither fair or reasonable if it means someone else is forced to wait longer. 

I think these queues you mentioned are more related to surgeons cherry picking private (insured) to boost their personal incomes - that's a practice that says more about their greed than the available slots for surgery and beds available in hospital.

On 29/03/2019 at 10:39 PM, The fessor said:

Private health insurance is if not the biggest con job in Australia right up there.  I ditched private health insurance way back in 1985 and never regretted doing so.  Pay the Medicare Levy and you are miles in front and will not be charged like bull in a china shop every time you see a doctor or if you go to hospital.

If you need a dentist , go to the hospital or save and make sure you have about $1000 set aside to cover stuff like fillings and RCTs and extractions.

Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the USA where private health insurance is linked to the job you have , and there is no UNIVERSIAL health insurance and a big percentage of americans have zero access to health services except the very basic if they are lucky.

Fair enough mate. It has saved my but over the past 2 years. had foot surgery and a few other things. Not for everyone but I will keep paying...