What Did You Say

I have listened to a heap of speakers about climate change and emissions.

I have come to the conclusion that none of these experts know what they are talking about.

So how the hell are we supposed to work it out.

Their answers are so far apart, it makes you wonder what sort of a world we live in.

These so called experts stand in front of the camera and dribble absolute rubbish with a straight face, Then the next bloke gets in front of the camera and dribbles rubbish the other way.

Think about it, if they were experts they would be on the same page or close to it.

Dino

Hey mate. That is one problem with having so much information at hand. Everyone turns into an armchair expert. Confirmation Bias is at work.

I am not a climate scientist so don't want to argue points but 95% of all papers written by climate scientists agree that humans are causing dangerous global warming. 

There is scientific consensus that humans are causing potentially dangerous global warming. That is about as good as it gets for science and I am happy to go with it.

Similar to @Drop Bear Unfortunately, we live in a horribly complex world and us mere mortals are only scratching at the surface  trying make sense of it all. But there are some inescapable facts.

1. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is definitely rising at  rate never seen before, based on direct measurements or other measurements, like ice cores etc.

2. The commensurate increase in temperature is pretty bang on in-line with rising CO2.

The ultimate effect of this is where we all have theories and hypotheses. As I said it's a horribly complex system with all sorts of crazy positive feedback loops that are almost impossible to predict.

When you a complete and utter moron like Trump asking where is global warming when cold snaps hit the US I think scientists really need to get their message out better, (would be even better if the press had any idea about science as well)

What I do know is that in the not too distant future the Earth will go, "gad what an annoying tick I had on my back for a few hundred thousand years, I'm glad I eventually got rid if it"

Ice core studies show that increase in temperatures precede CO2 increases by several hundred years.

Climate change has been around for billions of year and nothing humans do can affect it.

The sun and earth's orbit around it drives the climate.

Human caused climate change is the biggest con job perpetrated on modern civilisation.

3 hours ago, Luc53 said:

Ice core studies show that increase in temperatures precede CO2 increases by several hundred years.

Climate change has been around for billions of year and nothing humans do can affect it.

Human caused climate change is the biggest con job perpetrated on modern civilisation.

Got any scientific references to back that up Luc? 

We keep getting told that Australia pollutes the air point 0000000001 of the world, then why are we cropping up other countries. Its like I mentioned before they all claim scientific proof, but how can scientific proof be so varied, you would think it would be the same, this does your brain in.

14 hours ago, Luc53 said:

Every internationally recognized scientific agency on the planet have concluded that humans are causing dangerous climate change.

4 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

We keep getting told that Australia pollutes the air point 0000000001 of the world, then why are we cropping up other countries. Its like I mentioned before they all claim scientific proof, but how can scientific proof be so varied, you would think it would be the same, this does your brain in.

Millions of dollars are spend every year to deny the science for political and economic gain. 

The science is clear. There is overwhelming scientific consensus that humans are causing climate change. It is the politicians, think tanks, journalists etc that confuse everyone. The confusion is a product of the confirmation bias we all have. 

Personally I believe the scientists over the rest but in the end it is up to all of us all to decide. 

16 hours ago, Nog said:

What I do know is that in the not too distant future the Earth will go, "gad what an annoying tick I had on my back for a few hundred thousand years, I'm glad I eventually got rid if it"

I sure hope you are wrong and we sort it out before then but I get your point... Well said. 

15 hours ago, Luc53 said:

It is reasonable to have that opinion and I won't argue against it as I am not an expert. 

What I don't understand is the down side. What will happen if we transition into renewable energies?

• Cleaner air
  • Cleaner water
  • Less mines
  • less water table pollution
  • cheaper energy (Ok this has been debated but the fact is new build photo voltaic is the cheapest energy source available today and getting cheaper)
  • individuals given the ability to make there own energy and not rely on corporations to set prices
  • more jobs in smaller businesses providing solar panels etc.
  • remote communities benefit as they don't need to be on the grid and so  much more.

I just don't get the push away from a responsible measured approach to transition into renewable energy. Where is the down side? 

I think that the biggest problem in getting accurate info is the connection to money, agenda based groups that get financial gain or political power will undoubtedly  keep up the rhetoric of doom and gloom to keep the money flowing. I heard one of the chief scientists for Australia has said that we contribute .003% of the worlds greenhouse gases so nothing we do will make any significant difference, another has said the opposite.

Now compared to an active volcano that can spew out hundreds of times  that amount not to mention the other contaminants such as sulfur dioxide, particulate matter, ect, 50-70 volcanoes are active (erupting) each year and there is an estimated 5000 volcanoes under the sea of which a huge number are active which also makes the seas more acidic, which kills off sea life which exacerbates the situation.  At any given time, there is an average of about 20 volcanoes that are erupting above land, so we are fighting a loosing battle just on that front alone but  we are spending hundreds of billions of dollars to reduce CO2 for no gain.

Due to tectonic plates shifting, moving up, down and sideways, this will not end anytime soon and we can't do anything to stop that from happening,  so whilst islands may sink, the Maldives spring to mind and that is regrettable, but unless you can stop a continent from sinking that will happen no matter what we do, that is not climate change that is continental plate drift, we are also deluding ourselves if we think that we can stop CO2 rises happening to any significant degree. Factor in that the planet's axis tilt is moving about 15m year northwards our weather is going to change no matter what.

Our planets CO2 levels were much higher millions of years ago than they are now as the planet had much more plant life, continents move and weather patterns change, plants convert oxygen to CO2 at night and reverse it during the day when photosynthesis kicks in, also producing carbohydrates, as they die it also converts back to CO2, methane as well as others. Lastly there is that matter of that big old yellow circle in the sky, it's output also varies with time, it is not constant and that has a bigger effect on our planets warming than anything humans can do.

So at the end of the day it is anyone's guess who is right is right, having said that, what we do know for a fact and are sure of is that the world weather is changing but it has been changing for far longer than humans have been around in our present form as in long haired and dragging knuckles on the ground with no technology. Actually some of my friends still look that way!😀. Whilst we should make less pollution because it is the right thing to do, we should not, at the expense of spending futile hundreds of billions of dollars for no gain. We should probably concentrate on reducing population growth as that will most likely kill us off faster.

Money will always skew any facts that come up in the media, what's that saying, don't let the facts stand in the way of a good story!! Anyway that is my 2 cents worth on the subject and others are free to disagree.

Just finished my fourth Captain Morgan & coke, I prefer fishing, gardening and drinking piss to climate change, one thing I am confident in, is that no one has a clue  whether climate change is real or natural or what is the cause if it actually exists, depends which multi national is paying which scientist to say whatever, time for another rum & coke, why am I drinking Captain Morgan during the middle of the day you might ask, answer is because I can 😎

Good fishing to everyone

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Every internationally recognized scientific agency on the planet have concluded that humans are causing dangerous climate change.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

The science is clear. There is overwhelming scientific consensus that humans are causing climate change. It is the politicians, think tanks, journalists etc that confuse everyone. The confusion is a product of the confirmation bias we all have. 

My understanding is that a large group of non hysterical scientists say humans contribute to climate change. not... humans are causing dangerous climate change.

Let`s remember 'a consensus'  is a like minded group of people that agree on something, not that their agreement is in whole or is even proven fact... 

On 02/04/2019 at 3:18 PM, Nog said:

.........."gad what an annoying tick I had on my back for a few hundred thousand years, I'm glad I eventually got rid if it"

🤔 really, I don`t know how I got there... I`m not that old 😉.... and good riddance to you too 🤣 

Archived