Quiz No Prize

rayke1938

4 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Original sloppy joe was a rangoon cane fishing rod made popular by Len Thomspon who was australian fishing champion in the 1950,s. He had an engineering works in tweed heads . He was a true gentleman who shared his expertise. In 1953 my family got our first car and went to tweed heads for a holiday. We ere fishing with handlines when Len came over and gave us some hints plus a feed of fish. He took dad over to the bait and tackle shop  that was near where the original bowls club used to be.where dad purchased a couple of rangoon cane sticks,some insulation tape and porcelain runners . Len made his own side cast reels and he gave dad 2 for free , He quickly bound the reels and runners to the rods and we were in business with 2 sloppy joe rods that we shared between the 5 of us.

We kept going back to the same rental house for several years and when we left we used to cut the runners and reels off the rods and place the rods up into the ceiling of the house and reassemble them when we returned the following year.

The rods had a very fine tip and a slow taper and Len pioneered this type of rod and it was the preferred rod for all bream fishing. 

I was Just talking to my sister and she said that the rangoon canes cost 5 shillings each.

Cheers

Ray

Nice one mate. Has the fishing changed much since then? 

45 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. Has the fishing changed much since then? 

Certainly has who knows what the fishing would have been like then with todays technology. No catch and release then with club comps you you only took a few fish home,watersiders used to donate to nudgee orphanage,postal to childrens hospittal no one would take bream from moreton as they were tainted with whale oil from tangalooma so they were just dumped after measuring and weighing.

16 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Certainly has who knows what the fishing would have been like then with todays technology. No catch and release then with club comps you you only took a few fish home,watersiders used to donate to nudgee orphanage,postal to childrens hospittal no one would take bream from moreton as they were tainted with whale oil from tangalooma so they were just dumped after measuring and weighing.

Yep I wonder if our size and bag limits are making a difference. They cant be hurting... 

What did a Whale Oil Tainted Bream taste like?