Raby Bay Squid

Pattyb

Hi All.

Probably been asked before but was wondering if anyone could give me any info on catching Squid around Raby Bay. Never fished for them before but bought a couple of jigs last week so I could give it a crack. 

I was hoping to take the family out for the day while it was school holidays.

The sound of fresh salt and pepper Squid sounds sensational. 

Any info and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards

Pat

Hey patty,

Squid fishing can be very simple and very tricky. 

It can be as easy as walking along blind casting into the water. This can be very effective.

Lure selection is very important. YoZuri are a great place to start and steer clear of Rogue.

Squid will be shy of lures that have a bad smell so watch out for sunscreen or mozzie replant getting on your lure.

If you want to take it up a notch get a good spotlight style torch, a head lamp and walk the banks at night. slowly move the torch across the water until you see one. Turn on your head lamp and slowly point it near the squid. Cast out to the side of the squid and it will hopefully grab it. A cast too close will often spook it. 

There is lots to talk about when it comes to squid fishing so if you have any specific questions please ask. 

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey patty,

Squid fishing can be very simple and very tricky. 

It can be as easy as walking along blind casting into the water. This can be very effective.

Lure selection is very important. YoZuri are a great place to start and steer clear of Rogue.

Squid will be shy of lures that have a bad smell so watch out for sunscreen or mozzie replant getting on your lure.

If you want to take it up a notch get a good spotlight style torch, a head lamp and walk the banks at night. slowly move the torch across the water until you see one. Turn on your head lamp and slowly point it near the squid. Cast out to the side of the squid and it will hopefully grab it. A cast too close will often spook it. 

There is lots to talk about when it comes to squid fishing so if you have any specific questions please ask. 

Thanks for the info Drop Bear.

I bought two ‘fish candy’ Squid jigs (on special) at the 4x4 expo so hopefully they aren’t too bad.

I think I’ll just get the kids out and give it a crack, and stop over thinking it.

If all else fails, I’ll take the kids for a swim at Peel Island. So really, I can’t go wrong.

Thanks again Drop Bear. I’ll be sure to let you know how it all goes.

Regards

Pat

If your in a boat try any of the areas around the bay that have broken patches of weed bed an sand in between some good ones near the rouse. Look  for nice clear water, with long prospecting casts and it can often pay to have a lightly weighted jig deadsticked at the back of the boat as you drift along. If you hook one keep a close eye on it to see if he has mates behind him and cast a second rod in before removing him from the water, there is squid around peel too.

My most productive squid jigs have been the smallest jig I can get out to them.

Setting yourself up. 

3 sizes of squid jigs and several colours in each size. Squid are fussy, some days they will only touch the orange coloured jigs, other days, it's the purple or green , some days only the big jigs ….  I had the habit of noting what other guys were using and catching squid on , and I'd follow suit.

30L bucket with 5L seawater in it so they don't go off.

Be prepared to be inked …. squid are very good shots, and aim for your eyes.

If you are fishing from a boat (on the drift or even anchored) you have it made wrt squidding and can get away with smaller jigs .

On 11/04/2019 at 10:32 PM, jon said:

If your in a boat try any of the areas around the bay that have broken patches of weed bed an sand in between some good ones near the rouse. Look  for nice clear water, with long prospecting casts and it can often pay to have a lightly weighted jig deadsticked at the back of the boat as you drift along. If you hook one keep a close eye on it to see if he has mates behind him and cast a second rod in before removing him from the water, there is squid around peel too.

Thanks very much Jon. I’m hoping to get out there on Thursday (18/4/19) to catch a feed for Good Friday. At the moment, the wind looks like it is getting up so hopefully it will change. 

Regards

Pat

On 11/04/2019 at 11:49 PM, The fessor said:

My most productive squid jigs have been the smallest jig I can get out to them.

Setting yourself up. 

3 sizes of squid jigs and several colours in each size. Squid are fussy, some days they will only touch the orange coloured jigs, other days, it's the purple or green , some days only the big jigs ….  I had the habit of noting what other guys were using and catching squid on , and I'd follow suit.

30L bucket with 5L seawater in it so they don't go off.

Be prepared to be inked …. squid are very good shots, and aim for your eyes.

If you are fishing from a boat (on the drift or even anchored) you have it made wrt squidding and can get away with smaller jigs .

Thanks Fesser. 

I’ll give what I’ve got a crack and hopefully get a feel for what I need, and don’t need, for the next time I’m out.

Thanks very much for the info. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Pat

2 hours ago, Pattyb said:

Thanks very much Jon. I’m hoping to get out there on Thursday (18/4/19) to catch a feed for Good Friday. At the moment, the wind looks like it is getting up so hopefully it will change. 

Regards

Pat

Mate if you get the chance it would be great if you could get a few pics and put up a report on here. 

Archived