Gold Coast Land Based Fishing

Oggy

Hey all,

was thinking of heading out this weekend to the Gold Coast with my dad to do some fishing.

was just wondering if anyone knows any good places for land based fishing there for soft plastics and what soft plastics are best to use

Thanks

Hi @Oggy.  So many land based places you can try on the Gold Coast. The Broadwater is a good start but it might be a bit busy over Easter with lots of jet skis and all sorts of boats so maybe try a bit further away from the crowds.  People always talk about catching good whiting near the City Council Chambers on the Nerang River. Use google maps to find places you can get to easily. It is not really peak season for flathead, so you might be better to use bait to chase whiting, especially if you are new to fishing. You can buy fresh bait like yabbies or worms at the bait and tackle shop on the Broadwater just near the swimming pool. Or if you are going to be doing this often, invest in a yabbie pump and you will have free bait for years.

Lots of posts on this site about land based fishing on the Goldie. The search function is your friend.

Good luck!

Great advice as always from Old Scaley. 

The sandy flats behind Seaworld are always worth a flick for flathead. Last 2 hours of run out are good. look for drains where flathead can lie in ambush. 

I have bought a lot of yabby pumps over the years. I find the Wilson Brand not worth bothering with. I have to replace the washers every few sessions and they are old school with hardware and not easy to do. The Alvey ones are tops and I would recommend these. 

Anyway just get out there and have a go. It can take a while so keep at it, move around as much as you can and try and work out where you would be if you were an ambush predator flathead. 

Last time I was at the Gold Coast the observation was there were mullet, squid, whiting and bream everywhere (and me there without even a little flick stick 😞 ). Unfortunately I was on a business trip (sent there by my company to attend and give a paper at an engineering conference).

Only problem with the Gold Coast is it's over developed and lousy with tourists and overrated as a "destination" other than it's a paradise if you are there to go fishing, a lot of great river , harbor and landbased fishing in an easy drive  , I heard The Spit produces some good jewfish , and even more options if you have a boat..

Can't comment on the beach fishing as I've never fished the beaches at the Gold Coast ( been there several times and never hit the beach or the surf even for a swim ). Good beach fishing back near Tweed Hds and a little further north Strabroke Is , Morton Bay , and near Noosa though.

Archived