Evans Head Adventure

tugger

Nice one Mark - we've only stopped in there but never stayed but want to add it to the list sometime. The ad in the Bush n Beach for the charter with accommodation for a week is very tempting and something my family (brothers and parents) want to do sometime. Glad to hear you were up to the challenge to have a drink in each establishment mate ...... 🙂   Oh and geez you can't half tell you two are brothers - where does he live?

The guy with big alvey and long rod has the right idea for there.

I've been there a few times but not in the last 10 years.

I was interested in tailor during the day, slayed them.

And jewfish at night, caught my yellowtail on site an hour or so before the sun started hitting the horizon and had the big float (a piece of Styrofoam with biro pushed through it) and I head either to the end of the wall if it was running in or down to the start of the wall if running out) lobbed out the live bait under the float (set to stay about 16 ft down (if my memory serves me regarding the tidal flow and channel depth)  as far as I could towards the other side and I simply let the current take it and followed by walking the wall until I reached the end , at which point I either retrieved or let the current take the bait out another 100m or so.

I've  caught a few nice jewfish there but it was hard work c/- fishing the dykes, foreshore or walls at Newcastle, Carrington and Stockton.

I have memories of a lot of walking following the bait/float. Much the same deal as at Blacksmiths , Swansea  , Forster and  Tuncurry  seawalls (all fast current).

The trick with tailor there was slabs of yellowtail or tailor (fall back was strips of mullet from a fillet) on quadganged 4/0 520s , no sinker.

The locals told me they kill the Luderick there in winter (but you have to be in the know to be able to find the best weed sources). I confirmed this by watching a couple local old guys  haul in nice sized kg class luderick one after the other while I was trying to catch livebait nearby. (As is often the case in my experience on my home turf too).

One more place I should go back to for a fishing holiday some day.

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice one Mark - we've only stopped in there but never stayed but want to add it to the list sometime. The ad in the Bush n Beach for the charter with accommodation for a week is very tempting and something my family (brothers and parents) want to do sometime. Glad to hear you were up to the challenge to have a drink in each establishment mate ...... 🙂   Oh and geez you can't half tell you two are brothers - where does he live?

My brother lives at tweed heads

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Davo00 said:

Gday Mark.  I've just joined the forum and read your post as we're thinking of heading up to Evans Head when (and if) these bloody travel restrictions are lifted.  Hopefully there'll still be some fish around come June. Did you stay at the Reflections park?  

Yes that's where we stayed you will love it 

• 4 months later...