Old Scaley

3. ellicat

ellicat

4. Andrew_P

Andrew_P

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By tugger
      Went up to 1770 over the weekend headed out early Saturday morning stopped and got livies then had a quick look at a close wreck with no luck. Put the throttle down and aimed for our 1st spot up around the reefs it was glassing out and we were loving the weather.
      The 1st drop with live yakkas didn't take long with the livie shaking on the line it was inhaled by a nice trout. This was the next couple of hours fishing as baits just hit the bottom you were on, we got good trout and moarie cod on the livies but they soon ran out as silly us didn't take enough up. 
      The red throat emperor were scarce as were the tuskies and by midday it had shut down we fished hard for not much but the ever present hussar. Late in the arvo we fished some red emperor ground and were rewarded with a couple of these fish for the box. Losing big Reds was heart braking on a couple of drops and by sunset it was time to find our anchorage.
      It was a calm night and the next day was the same we didn't get any wind above 5 knots for the 2 days. The sea was like glass and we cruised to all our spots chipping away at our bag of reefies but again by midday it just shut down. Lunch and a few beers was a good way to bide the time till we headed for the red grounds and yes another red hit the deck.
      We droped the anchor again in the same spot for sunday night with the wind finally increasing a bit after we had dinner it got to 20 knots but we had a good spot behind the reef. Monday morning the wind had dropped off and we found some more mixed reefies before we headed for a quick trip into fitzroy lagoon for a swim and a shower. The lagoon had crystal clear water with beautiful reef everywhere this was a great way to finish the trip.
      We stopped in town at a freinds place for the night and drove home the next day then got a picture of the catch before filleting.

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By buzzard
      Hey all. Has anyone fished Wivenhoe lately and what lures have been used out there. Might go out with my Kayak in 2 weeks as I have been overseas for a while. Great to get some info...Cheers Buzzard
    • By rayke1938
      Went to Hinze western arm for the first time since February as I wanted to tag some fish for a change it has really been getting to me not being able to tag bass at NPD so a change of venue was called for. It was a bit breezy and cool but we managed to find a bit of shelter in the bays and also in the trees on Ians Island .As soon a we pulled up on Ians island the resident hum appeared. I caught a bass that was bleeding so I donged it on the head and Ernie promptly swooped on it and carried it off to a tall tree for his breakfast. Finished up with around 75 bass. Photo of smallest bass instead of longest for a change. Rick and Joy caught most of the fish as they were sitting in close to the trees and they were sitting in the bow I suppose I should have tied the stern to the treesPlease login or register to view this image Cheers Ray  

• By GregN70
      I see that the Fitzroy River and its lower delta gets a few Barra in it from time to time. Having never caught a Barra i thought I'd start giving it a serious go. But questing is when?
      I know they go quiet in the cooler months and they get more active & aggressive in the summer, but as most of summer is in the closed season, I was thinking of having a serious try for one starting next month (Sept) and going through to the start of the closed season (Nov), then recommencing when it opens again in 2020 of course. Just wondering if September/Oct is still to cold or just wait till next year?
    • By Old Scaley
      Regulars on here will remember a @kjohnson posting on here that he would be visiting Brissie from Canada and was looking for some information about fishing in this area. I am always keen to meet new people from other countries and learn a bit about how things are done there and to show a little hospitality to visitors because I have had that opportunity given to me in the past. Anyway, we had a loose arrangement to catch up while he was in town. Unfortunately the timing wasn’t great as the weather was a bit blowy and rain was forecast (but didn’t happen), so we arranged to meet for a land based session at Colmslie. It was a really pleasant couple of hours where Kevin outfished me by landing one small tailor while I landed zero.
      Long story short, Kevin gave me a brand new ice fishing rod that he had brought with him from Ontario. I was totally blown away, and a little embarrassed since I had brought a Shimano cap as a gift for him but got totally trumped. I love this little rod. It is about 60cm long and really nicely made. I knew immediately that I had to catch a fish on it rather than just putting on display.  
      I am without a tow vehicle at the moment while my usual tow car in at the panel beaters following an unusual incident involving 2 vehicles without drivers or passengers and neither are autonomous. Go figure. Fortunately this site has many generous people and both @benno573 and @ellicat offered to provide a tow vehicle in exchange for a day on the water. @benno573 was the first available so we planned a Sunday trip to Cabbage Tree Point area to chase whiting and flathead. We had and early start so we could pump yabbies on the low at daybreak then fished a few of Ben’s many spots down that way. The fish weren’t chewing their heads off but we managed a decent feed of whiting and bream. We (Benno) did land about 4 flathead during the day but all were undersize. Sorry no pics except for the highlight of the day - my first fish on an ice fishing rod. It was so much fun that I will definitely be doing this again. The little rod easily managed a 35 cm whiting and despite Benno’s best attempts to put me onto a ray just to test it out, that did not happen.  
      Top day out as usual @benno573. And thanks @kjohnson

• Latest Topics

• Donate

Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

Thanks
  • Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

• Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links