Yamba / Iluka June

Aal

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of going to Yamba/Iluka end of June for a few days for some proper fishing. I'll have a kayak with me.

I've tried to read up online and it was a bit of an overload of info, so many articles.

Just wondering if you could recommend anything? What are some spots to start off with?

Are there any sand / mud flats to pump yabbies? Where is a good spot to get some livies? Do any of the bait shops there sell live yabbies?

Regards,

Sorry, missed @ellicat asking for my contribution here.

literally so many options available it is not funny. The river fishes well for estuary species year round, yabbies can be found fairly widespread, depending on your situation this can be landbased or boat based. The parreara channel just outside town is a land based option.

as far as fishing options go - anything from bread and butter to LBG off the rock walls is an option depending on weather and swell. Also just north of iluka is middle bluff, woody head and Fraser’s reef that are all worth a look in the right conditions. Well worth spinning for tailor and salmon off the beaches and rocks as well.

good luck in your quest, hope you get a few!

13 hours ago, benno573 said:

Sorry, missed @ellicat asking for my contribution here.

literally so many options available it is not funny. The river fishes well for estuary species year round, yabbies can be found fairly widespread, depending on your situation this can be landbased or boat based. The parreara channel just outside town is a land based option.

as far as fishing options go - anything from bread and butter to LBG off the rock walls is an option depending on weather and swell. Also just north of iluka is middle bluff, woody head and Fraser’s reef that are all worth a look in the right conditions. Well worth spinning for tailor and salmon off the beaches and rocks as well.

good luck in your quest, hope you get a few!

thanks mate, what kind of conditions should I be looking for, for the rock wall and the reef? 

1 hour ago, Aal said:

thanks mate, what kind of conditions should I be looking for, for the rock wall and the reef? 

The tailor should be in good numbers down there now. If you can find deep water or a good hole at high tide it will work. a bit of foam form wave action is a bonus. Just buy the cheep slugs from the shop and ping em as far as you can. Nice fast retrieve. It they are there they will smash it.