Advice - How To Build A Fibreglass Box

Poddymullet

Hi AFO members,

Looking for a bit of advice on doing a DIY storage job on my forward storage box on my Scount 175SF. It's a 100L plus storage area with great installation and is the forward deck when closed. IT also directly drains so it can be used as a great kill / ice box too. But I want to convert it into a couple of compartments: 1) tackle storage 2) kill tank 3) dry storage. I don't want to change the interior by fibre glassing directly so was thinking of creating a mould that I can just drop in. The bung is on the bottom right hand side so thinking the kill tank on the right hand side (allows me to add some ballast to balance the boat as required. Middle for the tackle storage (I am thinking of 5 large Plano tackle boxes and then just space for other stuff. Lefthand side would be dry storage. The other option is to make the kill tank the width of the bottom 

Have looked around the forum but can't find anything. 

What does everything think? Keen to get feedback...or should I go somewhere to get a custom job? The roto moulded stuff looks pretty cool too instead of mucking around with fibreglass but really wanting to do this myself if I can.

image.thumb.png.e304b759be37a20054b9002fd8e8983f.png

image.thumb.png.feb537bf750d05dc02f61361f6f1fc2e.png

Interesting project mate. I'm no help with HOW to do it but if it was me I'd make the kill tank lengthwise as it will give you a better length for fish like mackerel, and if you have a decent amount of water in there it will help balance the boat. You could then split the rest of the area according to your tackle/dry storage needs.

Good luck, interested in following this. I want to get a front deck made for my boat to create more storage space for camping/overnight/longer trips.

Tricky job mate. That is a pretty nice boat. I agree with you that you should not try to do it permanently on your own unless you really know what you are doing. 

It is pretty easy to make up a box out of ply wood. Just use stainless steel screws. 12mm ply is very strong and would work and makes it easy to screw together. I would use 35mm counter sunk 8 gauge stainless screws. Get yourself a counter sinking tool so you can pre drill the screw holes then screw it together. The first time you do it I would do it dry and not glue so you can change things around if you like.

This would let you play a bit with sizes and shapes as well. 

If you wanted a more permanent solution it is easy enough to glass over the ply wood box. A lot of fiberglass boats are made this way. 

Anyway just some thoughts. 

Is that front casting platform really waterproof for dry storage?

I can't quite remember but the channels that run down the sides of the lid dispel most of the water but, if a good amount comes over the front everything inside could get a bit wet. From my fading memory the only dry areas I found was in the centre console or the esky seat.

It's a good idea to make it removable for when you sell it down the track. 

3 hours ago, Luvit said:

I can't quite remember but the channels that run down the sides of the lid dispel most of the water but, if a good amount comes over the front everything inside could get a bit wet. From my fading memory the only dry areas I found was in the centre console or the esky seat.

Agree make it removable. 

10 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

I used to use foam sheets to make the box and then glass over them.

You can shape the foam any way you want and it is really easy to use.

Just make sure you use a foam sheet that is suitable for resins.

pro tip!!! I never thought of that. are some of those hard insulation thingos ok to use? 

On 02/05/2019 at 2:51 PM, Luvit said:

You are right..it's not the driest but was thinking of putting some kind of lid on the front part. Just trying to get a bit more storage

On 02/05/2019 at 6:43 PM, aussie123 said:

I used to use foam sheets to make the box and then glass over them.

You can shape the foam any way you want and it is really easy to use.

Just make sure you use a foam sheet that is suitable for resins.

@aussie123 that's a great idea! Should make the job a hell of a lot easier than trying to cut marine ply to shape. And gives me insulation to boot! Now just need to find the bloody time