Gps And Sounder Advice For Work Boat

Drop Bear

Hey Gang. 

We have a new boat. It is a great work boat. 

I want to rewire everything as it is an old work boat and the wiring quality is a bit rough. Will be putting in a duel battery system, new bilge, new lights and want to get some good electronics.

We have a bit of money so want something good. 

Please take into consideration that it is a pretty open boat. I plan to build a cover or something to put them in but they will get wet from time to time. 

Need a very good quality chart plotter. This will be used to map reefs and mark areas.

Need a simple depth sounder. I don't know what to get or weather buying a cheap one will not future proof the boat. It will only be used in relatively shallow water up to 20m max. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Boat mock up.jpg

20190206_091854.jpg

garmin do good chart plotters and with the sounder some sounders dont read under 2 meters so i guess you want one that will read under 2 meters aswell furuno make good ones maybee look for a second hand one 585 would be good as a sounder but garmin is good for navagation a95sv i think would be ok,or you could run a tablet with navtronics on it would be a cheaper option

my "cheap" raymarine unit I had in the old boat was an awesome chart plotter, easy to use and charts were pretty detailed.

I would run a separate sounder, given the usage requirement i would stick with a fairly basic unit, in all honesty they are reasonably disposable these days at $200-$300 and they work fine. 

Would definitiely try and keep the water off them as much as possible.

14 hours ago, Junky said:

I'm with straddiebrad,  love my garmin plotter. 

Most units now are combos anyway aren't they?  If not go cheap as you're not looking for fish,  just bottom readings in 20 odd meters. 

BTW.....how'd ya go getting a road worthy for that trailer?  

The trailer is a borrowed one so no need. We don't have enough money to buy one yet. One day... 

14 hours ago, Junky said:

I'm with straddiebrad,  love my garmin plotter. 

Most units now are combos anyway aren't they?  If not go cheap as you're not looking for fish,  just bottom readings in 20 odd meters. 

BTW.....how'd ya go getting a road worthy for that trailer?  

Oh I just saw the photo. The one it is sitting on is just a ramp dolly. We pulled it apart and put it in the boat for spare parts. haha I understand your question now 🙂

season 2 help GIF by Fox TV