Seasickness Ideas And Discussion

Angler1

Thought others might find this amusing and interesting. I have been a long-time sufferer of seasickness. I’m always interested to know what others do to manage their own seasickness.

I have added 2 links which might be helpful. The first is an article I have written about my own experiences to manage seasickness. The medications and remedies I’ve tried. What has and hasn’t worked. I have also added a short video clip on my latest trip ruined by seasickness. One short moment where I hold it together to catch a big squid knowing I was about to get sick.

Article - https://fishingmad.com.au/article/seasickness

Video Link -

Appreciate ideas and feedback from others on how they manage their own seasickness.

Dont envy you dude , seen it happen a lot to others, especially the asians on the big cats that run out of Cairns, used to just hose the decks off🤮

Yep , I've been to known to add what ever was in my stomach to the burley trail.... and even when I get back onto solid land and lay down , it seems like the world is still rocking for quite a while.

One of the reason why I've never owned a boat.  I'm fine in lakes and rivers, but out on the sea , if the fish aren't biting , I'm spewing. 

Hear there are effective pills around , and some use gadgets now (but that sounds like hokaspokis to me).

I also have a lot of sympathy for people who suffer from seasickness. I came close once crossing the English Channel in one of those big ferries in a huge swell on a very cold day with sleet rain making it impossible to get any fresh air. Only just kept the previous night’s pints in, but felt crook enough that I am not interested in cruises. Pretty much the whole boat was green and people were vomiting everywhere. I have never been crook on a fishing boat but I used to take a Kwell if I am going offshore on a charter and the weather looks iffy.

I used to organise regular charter trips for a fishing club and always advised newbies to take precautions so they didn’t spoil their day.  That is where you find out a few things:

• not many men will admit they get seasick 
  • a lot of people come down with a sudden “virus” when they go offshore
  • a couple of early morning beers seems to prevent seasickness for some people
  • so does catching fish

I didn’t look at the video because I have seen enough burley machines in the past to keep me going. Good luck to all sufferers.

1 hour ago, MSB said:

Dont envy you dude , seen it happen a lot to others, especially the asians on the big cats that run out of Cairns, used to just hose the decks off🤮

Yeah its not a pleasant thing to suffer from, bringing it up in topics like this may also help others who are suffering and also keen anglers. Thanks for your comments

1 hour ago, The fessor said:

Yep , I've been to known to add what ever was in my stomach to the burley trail.... and even when I get back onto solid land and lay down , it seems like the world is still rocking for quite a while.

One of the reason why I've never owned a boat.  I'm fine in lakes and rivers, but out on the sea , if the fish aren't biting , I'm spewing. 

Hear there are effective pills around , and some use gadgets now (but that sounds like hokaspokis to me).

Thanks for your response, yeah I didn't buy a boat or kayak for many years as I was too worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy them. With some good practices I have gotten a lot better. Which is good as I love boating so much. Thanks for your comments

6 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I also have a lot of sympathy for people who suffer from seasickness. I came close once crossing the English Channel in one of those big ferries in a huge swell on a very cold day with sleet rain making it impossible to get any fresh air. Only just kept the previous night’s pints in, but felt crook enough that I am not interested in cruises. Pretty much the whole boat was green and people were vomiting everywhere. I have never been crook on a fishing boat but I used to take a Kwell if I am going offshore on a charter and the weather looks iffy.

I used to organise regular charter trips for a fishing club and always advised newbies to take precautions so they didn’t spoil their day.  That is where you find out a few things:

• not many men will admit they get seasick 
  • a lot of people come down with a sudden “virus” when they go offshore
  • a couple of early morning beers seems to prevent seasickness for some people
  • so does catching fish

I didn’t look at the video because I have seen enough burley machines in the past to keep me going. Good luck to all sufferers.

I think your 100% right a lot of people don't like to admit that they suffer from it. But it does cause the effects that you touched on, Thanks for your comments.