Weight Of Bigw Jarvis Walker Empty Bulk Line Spools

I emailed  Jarvis Waker this question, person answered but was not able to provide an adequate answer.

Does anyone have an empty 12, 15, 25 Lb spool of Jarvis Walker Bulk line as sold by BigW and can tell me what the empty dispenser weight is in grams measured on digital kitchen scales to gram resolution?

Reason I ask is so I can calculate line used/remaining before trying to fill empty reel spools to know if enough remains.   I will also be able to calculate the amount of line on each reel.  I have recorded the original full dispenser weight of the line so this can be calculated.

17 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

I emailed  Jarvis Waker this question, person answered but was not able to provide an adequate answer.

Does anyone have an empty 12, 15, 25 Lb spool of Jarvis Walker Bulk line as sold by BigW and can tell me what the empty dispenser weight is in grams measured on digital kitchen scales to gram resolution?

Reason I ask is so I can calculate line used/remaining before trying to fill empty reel spools to know if enough remains.   I will also be able to calculate the amount of line on each reel.  I have recorded the original full dispenser weight of the line so this can be calculated.

Nice one mate. Unlikely that someone would have the spool but you may as well ask. 

Can you put line on another reel then weigh it then put a bolt on the spool then use a drill to put the line back on? 

3 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Can you put line on another reel then weigh it then put a bolt on the spool then use a drill to put the line back on? 

I was thinking of doing something like that.  The 25Lb line spool is 450M,  I intend to throw that on a nice old Alvey 550C1 reel so I'll be able to use that dispenser as the reference weight.  The 550C1 should take all that line I think but if not then I can place the remainder onto a bobbin of some description and use it for making traces.

On 08/05/2019 at 4:22 PM, Eagleray1 said:

I was thinking of doing something like that.  The 25Lb line spool is 450M,  I intend to throw that on a nice old Alvey 550C1 reel so I'll be able to use that dispenser as the reference weight.  The 550C1 should take all that line I think but if not then I can place the remainder onto a bobbin of some description and use it for making traces.

I am assuming it is mono not braid? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

I am assuming it is mono not braid? 

Yes, ordinary mono filament but the same method to determine usage would apply for any type of line although I suspect tolerance for error would be greater with braid as it is lighter line?  The empty spool weight is 43 grams. I had posted my method for calculation but had stuffed it up so I removed it but I believe I have it correct now and will post it back later sometime.

The 550C1 easily took the 450M of 25Lb line but could of done with 500M but it's ok though.

I'm old school and have never used braid but I can see the advantage of it to cast out further and make sure some Mono line is used as a leader to take the casting shock.  I've also read about braid cutting one's fingers badly which puts me off a bit.

7 minutes ago, Eagleray1 said:

Yes, ordinary mono filament but the same method to determine usage would apply for any type of line although I suspect tolerance for error would be greater with braid as it is lighter line?  The empty spool weight is 43 grams. I had posted my method for calculation but had stuffed it up so I removed it but I believe I have it correct now and will post it back later sometime.

The 550C1 easily took the 450M of 25Lb line but could of done with 500M but it's ok though.

I'm old school and have never used braid but I can see the advantage of it to cast out further and make sure some Mono line is used as a leader to take the casting shock.  I've also read about braid cutting one's fingers badly which puts me off a bit.

Yep don't put it on your Alvey. It is fantastic for very deep water and great to cast lures with. Mono is better for baits and playing fish as it stretches more. Pro's and Con's but never put it on an alvey 🙂

Back in the day the only line I purchased was Snyder.  Now though I grab what is about if it has a resonable name on it and price.  The BigW Jarvis Walker (JW) brand line seems to fit the bill for me.  Basically I have to place my trust in a reputable brand name and I doubt JW would put their name to it if not good.  It might be a re-branded line but as long as a reputable name is placed on it I'm willing to trust it.

6 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

Back in the day the only line I purchased was Snyder.  Now though I grab what is about if it has a resonable name on it and price.  The BigW Jarvis Walker (JW) brand line seems to fit the bill for me.  Basically I have to place my trust in a reputable brand name and I doubt JW would put their name to it if not good.  It might be a re-branded line but as long as a reputable name is placed on it I'm willing to trust it.

Snyder was good mono - knew a lot of old hands who fished for jewfish and snapper from the rocks who swore by it.

I think Snyder Glass are still going.  Back in the day I made up a MT8144 blank and coupled it to an Alvey 651C5 deep spool reel.  I don't know who made the MT8144 blank I purchased, was it Butterworth or Snyder glass?

As for the line I'm pretty sure I purchased 1000 meters 30Lb Schneider spools.  If I recall correctly the Schneider spools  (circa 1980) were blue in colour and had a metal hub with compressed cardboard for the side flanges which were only about 1"  apart.  Even with some of the big Rays I hooked onto it never tested the full line capacity of the reel so in hindsight was overkill.

9 hours ago, Eagleray1 said:

I think Snyder Glass are still going.  Back in the day I made up a MT8144 blank and coupled it to an Alvey 651C5 deep spool reel.  I don't know who made the MT8144 blank I purchased, was it Butterworth or Snyder glass?

As for the line I'm pretty sure I purchased 1000 meters 30Lb Schneider spools.  If I recall correctly the Schneider spools  (circa 1980) were blue in colour and had a metal hub with compressed cardboard for the side flanges which were only about 1"  apart.  Even with some of the big Rays I hooked onto it never tested the full line capacity of the reel so in hindsight was overkill.

Pretty sure they were made by Snyder .

A few guys I knew back in the 1990s extended their MT8144  rods with 4 ft butt extensions to mount big Alvey 651A5 and C5 and 700A5 reels on.  These rods were ugly but great for lobbing 4oz and 6oz snapper leads.

One of them was extended as retrofit , he continued using his 700A5 reel on it , looked ugly and his casting technique was like with an overhead, looked awkward but he sure could get the distance .

Two of the guys I knew upped the anti and build MT9144 rods with 4 ft  butt extensions , one of these guys used a big SeaMartin eggbeater (was ugly but great reel).  I had a go at casting it one morning (was thinking of buying a MT9144 and 4 ft butt extension to build up a home made rod for use with my Alvey 651C5 reels but it was like casting with a telegraph pole and a lot heavier than my FSU7165 so I abandoned the idea.

My 651C5 reels are my favourates,    literally indestructible and only needs wash down after a fish , and replacement of the ratchet (triangle clicker) and the antireverse after a while. I've used A5s but don't like having by thumb pounded when the fish is running, hence the C5s I use for the big fish.

If you want a light reel , an Alvey yellow spooled 651C5 is not for you.