Popping Combo Advice

Hey All,

Looking to put together a combo I can use for stickbaits and poppers on the reefs just off Yeppoon. We do an annual trip there for 2 weeks a year, but I also want to be able to use the rod through the year for various applications around Moreton. Thinking a Demon Blood V2 792 XH and pairing it with a Saltiga 15 5000H. This would give me a rod I could throw medium to large stick baits on and still fish for Tuna, Mackies and Snapper on (maybe a bit heavy but could do it). The reel would be light enough (though still powerful) to use around Moreton but is it too light for Yeppoon (do I need to go to the Expedition 6500?) Most GT's you might hit up that way are 10-15kgs so while I recognize I might be light for a 20-30kg pelagic I am not overly concerned about that. Guess what I am asking is for some confirmation this combo will cover both my needs or any feedback on why it won't and what you might recommend instead

Yeah I probably would but it’s all about personal preference 5000 is super heavy for Moreton bay but would be great for twenty kg gts it’s hard to get the best of both worlds out of one combo for such a different type of fishing

1 hour ago, jon said:

Yeah I probably would but it’s all about personal preference 5000 is super heavy for Moreton bay but would be great for twenty kg gts it’s hard to get the best of both worlds out of one combo for such a different type of fishing

Agree. 

You need to work out what your priority fishing is going to be and get an outfit for that. 

For me, around Moreton bay and offshore Straddie and Moreton I use a 4000 certate hyper on a loomis SJR 843 IMX. 35lb gosen braid and it will stop most fish down here. Big kings will give it a flogging but it loves it. Great jack outfit too. Lock the drag and battle on. 

As for popping for GTs. Ahhh. No. Hell no. 

Dogfight 8000 high speed on a saltiga x or similar. 80lb braid and go pull in moby ****. 

On 15/05/2019 at 6:42 PM, REEL ADDICT said:

Thanks Jon & Junky, appreciate the advice and recommendations!

Sounds like you need 2 different outfits mate. I have friends that won't throw stick baits and poppers with anything smaller than a 20,000 Stella to GT's but that is silly and too heavy for the bay. By the way I don't own one... just what they do. Depends on your budget... When I grow up I would like to be able to buy 2 setups for every fishing option... doesn't look like I will grow up any time soon...