Carl of Arabia

queensland Need Help Identifying Fish - Brisbane River

Hello users, 

My mate and I have been catching these fish in the Jindalee portion of the river, specifically the boat ramps next to the Jindalee Bridge and on Mt. Ommaney drive. I assume it's some species of Perch; however, I'm not entirely certain.

All help appreciated,

Carl of Arabia

Please login or register to view this attachment

It's a puttynose perch, I think -

https://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/topic/44148-what-is-this-fish/

or a river perch/little jewfish

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fish-identification-information/fish-species-guide/fish-species-id-info/profile?fish-id=river-perch

They used to be very common throughout the river with many old reports of people catching sugar bags full.

They seem to have made somewhat of a come back in recent times with reports of catches throughout the river becoming more popular. @benno573 and I regularly catch both species I mentioned in the lower reaches.

14 hours ago, Carl of Arabia said:

@ellicat

Thank you, much appreciation.

It seems as though they've only just started spawning near Jindalee, or they've been stocked, due to the fact that these Perch are more commonly caught then Catfish.

Fantastic news. Great to hear they may be making a come back. 

We don’t have a spot at kangaroo point... and I’m not telling you the actual spot!

Please login or register to view this image

while they have no legal size or bag limit, best to release to allow the stocks to continue to recover. Not much of a fillet off them anyway - max size is about 25cm.

8 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I can’t remember what time of the year it was, but last year they were schooled up in front of the tug station at Port of Brisbane. There was a little group of boats pulling them in hand over fist.  I did mention it in a post but I can’t find that now.

Yes I think I remember you saying. I hope they give them bag and size limits.