Estuary Fishing August Nsw-qld

Wilson30

Hi All, New to the forum and hoping I can get some advise please. 

I have a leave pass from the missus to go on a solo trip.

I am trying to plan a fishing trip in the first 2.5 weeks in August from Vic to either Northern NSW or Southern Queensland. I have a small 3mtr tinnie and wanting to fish some estuaries. Hoping to catch Jacks, Bass, Bream or something decent on light line. 

Happy to travel as far as Rocky if needed, however prefer to try my luck from Yamba to Sunshine Coast.

Also ideally, looking to switch it up from Estuary to Rock or Beach. 

Hopefully you can help

No time is better to be fishing than whenever you can ! haha

Can't say I've ever been there in August, but it is close to spring which is usually a good time for flatties. Maybe tailor off the headlands too.

I always think the runout tide in the morning is best for flathead. Dusk would be better at the rocks for maybe a mulloway or tailor.

Hey Wilson, Welcome to the forum. 

Mate that is a big area there are literally thousands of places you can try for a fish. 

If you are after a Jack, Night time with a live mullet in water near snags should get you one.

Taylor should still be around. Long rod, spinning lure off the rocks. I prefer high tide for this as it seems to bring them in close. 

Bream are everywhere. I like to burly them up with bread. 

Flathead are also everywhere. Soft plastics around the edges are good. They will take bibbed lures too. Last 2 hours of the run out it best. 

Large whiting like to live on steep drop offs from sand banks at low tide. Think about where they would wait until the tide comes in and they can once again dig up soldier crabs and small shellfish.

Bass are a good option in any creek. Small diving lures in the day and top water at night or first and last light. 

Have fun. 

On 14/06/2019 at 10:55 PM, Wilson30 said:

Hi All, New to the forum and hoping I can get some advise please. 

I have a leave pass from the missus to go on a solo trip.

I am trying to plan a fishing trip in the first 2.5 weeks in August from Vic to either Northern NSW or Southern Queensland. I have a small 3mtr tinnie and wanting to fish some estuaries. Hoping to catch Jacks, Bass, Bream or something decent on light line. 

Happy to travel as far as Rocky if needed, however prefer to try my luck from Yamba to Sunshine Coast.

Also ideally, looking to switch it up from Estuary to Rock or Beach. 

Hopefully you can help

Hey wilson

If you get stuck mate send me a pm and I will show you around pumicestone passage between Bribie Island and the mainland, nice area and calm water and some good fish to be had, plus xxxx  and bundaberg rum to be drunk 

msb

• 2 weeks later...

Chasing Jacks in August will be hard work as water temp will still be cool and they will not be as aggressive as usual. On the Goldy, August will be a good time for Bream and Flathead. Flatties will start to head towards the river mouths around August so will be worth targeting. Bream should still be on the chew at the sae time. Plus Jew will be worth chasing too.

As for where to go, I would be looking at less populated spots as that will be less fishing pressure.