Chipper

2 hours ago, Chipper said:

Hey just moved to the area of Redlands Cleveland is the closest ramp to me been out twice the last week just searching around but nothing.

im a bait man my self never got the hang of the plastics . Looking for a few tips on peel Island probably been covered before but new to this website aswell . Any help would be good .

Hey Chipper,

I know they were getting good numbers of school mackerel on the northern side a few weeks ago. 

There are always plenty of bream around the old wreck on the south eastern side, getting them to bite is a bit of a challenge. 

Do you have a GPS? The artificial reefs on the Western Side produce well especially at night. 

Snapper with strips of fresh mullet are a popular bait but if you can get live baits they are better. 

It is a great island and one worth spending a lot of time on getting to know it. These clear wind free days are great for exploring 🙂

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

You need to keep an eye on the green zones around the island and if you are travelling around the northern side, watch your depth.  The reef extends out a fair way and some of the homies are not far under the water on the lower tides. 

The artificial reef balls on the western side are not very big so can take a bit of looking. Avoid the areas of high boat traffic for best results.  Good luck.

Ya they do take a bit of looking for spent a few hrs looking last week I had a few gps marks for them but still hard to find 

Hey mate, welcome to the site!

There’s ground all round peel and also over near goat island that will hold fish. Definitely fishes better weekdays or at night when boat traffic is at its minimum.  If you look around the NW corner (outside the green zones) and the SW corner of peel and the western/southern sides of goat you will find good areas. Look for drop offs with rubble patches. Live hardiheads work well and are usually fairly easy to obtain with a cast net in horseshoe bay. Other than that peeled green prawns, pilchards and squid strips are my go to baits. Flesh baits also work. Fish as light as you dare and remember you don’t need the bait to be anchored on the bottom, snapper, grassies, mackerel and tailor will readily rise to a floating bait if presented well.

Another way to try and gain some experience is to offer to take someone who has fished the area before out with you. There’s plenty of people on this site who know the area and can provide a few pointers and locations. Like most fishes we are all a bit (or a lot) reluctant to go posting GPS marks or more precise locations on a website which I am sure you can appreciate.

Good info mate 

oh definitely I wouldn’t even think of asking for marks just to be pointed in the right direction makes all the difference . Hopefully the weather is good for next weekend an can go explore some more. I’d be happy to take someone out for the day I’ll supply what’s needed for some knowledge of the area thanks for the info mate 

There's a guy by the name of @benno573 who would be good to take out - he smells a bit (or is that the bait .....) but he certainly knows his stuff. It would also be worth keeping a regular eye on the reports a guy named Spero puts up on the Fishing Monthly website http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=19540&sid=d84c8ad40cbeffbf1c8ff55e1c92e366#p19540

He fishes regularly and puts up quite specific (and timely) information, particularly for mackerel, snapper, squid and whiting. Good luck - looking forward to some of your reports.

• 2 weeks later...