Car Topper Advice

kmcrosby78

Hi all, we bought a camper trailer with boat racks last weekend (collect this weekend) so now I want to get moving on buying a car topper suitable to take to Cape York next Sep school holidays. Wanting to hear from people knowledgeable on this topic. Also, if anyone has a suitable car topper and is looking to upgrade, I have my 14ft tinny with 30hp Johnson back up for sale and am willing to swap so let me know.

I am thinking 3.70-3.95m - they seem to weigh around 80kg. It won't be going on the roof of a car, just on top of the camper trailer. Any thoughts on size? I'd want reasonable depth to keep the crocs at bay ..... 🙂 

Engine wise I think I'd try to go bigger than 15hp - either an 18hp (Tohatsu or Mercury) or a 20hp. To save weight I'll go 2-stroke.

If I buy one with a 'normal' trailer I'll probably sell it and buy a collapsible trailer so I have that option but doesn't take up extra space for storage.

If you have one you're considering selling, please PM me.

On 24/06/2019 at 7:40 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Hi all, we bought a camper trailer with boat racks last weekend (collect this weekend) so now I want to get moving on buying a car topper suitable to take to Cape York next Sep school holidays. Wanting to hear from people knowledgeable on this topic. Also, if anyone has a suitable car topper and is looking to upgrade, I have my 14ft tinny with 30hp Johnson back up for sale and am willing to swap so let me know.

I am thinking 3.70-3.95m - they seem to weigh around 80kg. It won't be going on the roof of a car, just on top of the camper trailer. Any thoughts on size? I'd want reasonable depth to keep the crocs at bay ..... 🙂 

Engine wise I think I'd try to go bigger than 15hp - either an 18hp (Tohatsu or Mercury) or a 20hp. To save weight I'll go 2-stroke.

If I buy one with a 'normal' trailer I'll probably sell it and buy a collapsible trailer so I have that option but doesn't take up extra space for storage.

If you have one you're considering selling, please PM me.

Mate have you looked at the Bluefin Catfish? They do a 3.6m that looks mint. If it was up to me I would match it with a 5.8hp Parsun.....

ryan gosling lol GIF

We took a 3.7m Stacer around Australia with a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The 15 was enough for us but a 20 would be better. I was really happy with the setup and didn't want for anything more. Just getting it on and off the car was a pain in the ...

booty GIF

Those collapsible trailers are awesome. If you go somewhere and want to stay for a while they are worth their weight in gold. 

43 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate have you looked at the Bluefin Catfish? They do a 3.6m that looks mint. If it was up to me I would match it with a 5.8hp Parsun..... 

I have seen them actually - noticed someone is selling that exact package (brand new) on Gumtree for a very good price - get on it ....... 🙂 

The boat rack on the camper trailer has a gas hoist so you can swing the boat out of the way and set the tent up (without taking the boat off) which will be a godsend for the trip up to the Cape and back when we're staying at places overnight.

8 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

The boat rack on the camper trailer has a gas hoist so you can swing the boat out of the way and set the tent up (without taking the boat off) which will be a godsend for the trip up to the Cape and back when we're staying at places overnight.

That is a cracking idea. It is so nice to stop after a few hours and make a cuppa or set up quickly after a long day.