Trolling Motors With Spot Lock

Ryannnnnnnn

Hello, 

Wanting an electric bow mount motor on my 4.2m aluminium boat so I don't have to put the anchor out as much. 

Looks like I need something with the spot lock feature, but don't think I can splash out a few thousand on a new minn kota. 

Are there any decent brands out there under $2000 that have the GPS spot lock feature? 

And also, how much can I expect to pay for a battery? 

Cheers 

Another big tick for Minn Kota with spot lock. Use mine all the time offshore - saves pulling up an anchor and 6m of chain.

Have always been a MK fan and know they definitely contribute to increasing my success rate - inshore and offshore. Give some good consideration into your battery size too - try to work out how many hours you will use your electric and then get a battery to suit (deep cycle of course).

23 hours ago, fishingnut said:

How’s it stuck  to the boat ? 

Just bolted... Not really stuck but one of the bolts is a real pain in the arsenal to get to. I have to send junior Bear down the front hatch to get hold of it. I decided not to get the quick release... Probably should have. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
35 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey @Ryannnnnnnn, how did you go? Looking at buying a MK Riptide iPilot very soon. Any advice welcome.

Go see Troy at https://www.minnrepairs.com.au/ he is the guru on all things electric motors, from repairs to installs and everything between what he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing, is the bla repair agent too so he’s no dill. Tell him I sent ya 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 7:49 PM, Old Scaley said:

Hey @Ryannnnnnnn, how did you go? Looking at buying a MK Riptide iPilot very soon. Any advice welcome.

Hey @Old Scaley thanks for checking back in. I ended up getting an MK Riptide with a 120amp battery. I got the thruster plate welded on by a boat builder then had the MK supplied and fitted by the dealer that originally supplied my boat. I couldn't find any good cheaper alternatives that had the spot lock feature and am really glad I slashed out on the MK. 

The minn kota is absolutely fantastic, I haven't used my normal anchor since I had the MK installed which has been months. It's improved my experience out on the water so much. Getting snagged is less of a hassle, can effortlessly move the boat with precision to position myself where ever I want.

I ended up mounting the battery in the front hatch to keep weight down the front which is working well. 

At first the dealer fit a 42 inch shaft but it was a bit short - fully extended the shaft would cavitate in any chop, so they replaced it with a 48 inch which is working perfectly.

Can send any pics if it helps at all

Cheers 

Thanks @Ryannnnnnnn. Funny you should post this today. I was just up in the shed working out how best to install the MK when I get it and was just about to google installation. I am also looking at putting the battery box in the front hatch. Some photos would be great.  Did you go with a quick release or just bolt it straight to the plate. I have a mounting plate already but not sure if the bow rail will be in the way. I have a Sea Jay Territory 4.35. What boat have you fitted it to? If you don’t mind saying, how much was the installation? 

So many questions, I know. But there is nothing like learning from other people’s experience so whatever you can add will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks @Ryannnnnnnn. That is helpful looks like you had the bow rail on that side removed. I think I can avoid that by running the MK at the same angle as the bow rail, but will need to check that when I see the motor. Is that an Anderson plug in the 5th photo? Is that just to make it easier to remove when you use the quick release or are the leads short? I wonder why they didn’t spend another $20 to put the battery in a battery box?  Just thinking about keeping salt water out if you are castnetting, prawning or crabbing?

Looks like your fuel tank is down the stern end of your boat. The configuration of my tinny is 3 separate hatches up under the casting deck at the bow end. The anchor well is at the front, then a hatch that would easily hold the battery, then a bigger hatch that has the fuel tank, lifejackets and safety gear. The hatches have aluminium walls between them  but are open at the bottom. This means the air (and possibly petrol fumes) circulates between them so I am not sure about having a battery and a fuel tank in adjoining hatches?

Thanks for the info and photos. Food for thought.

On 12/04/2020 at 8:21 PM, Old Scaley said:

Thanks @Ryannnnnnnn. That is helpful looks like you had the bow rail on that side removed. I think I can avoid that by running the MK at the same angle as the bow rail, but will need to check that when I see the motor. Is that an Anderson plug in the 5th photo? Is that just to make it easier to remove when you use the quick release or are the leads short? I wonder why they didn’t spend another $20 to put the battery in a battery box?  Just thinking about keeping salt water out if you are castnetting, prawning or crabbing?

Looks like your fuel tank is down the stern end of your boat. The configuration of my tinny is 3 separate hatches up under the casting deck at the bow end. The anchor well is at the front, then a hatch that would easily hold the battery, then a bigger hatch that has the fuel tank, lifejackets and safety gear. The hatches have aluminium walls between them  but are open at the bottom. This means the air (and possibly petrol fumes) circulates between them so I am not sure about having a battery and a fuel tank in adjoining hatches?

Thanks for the info and photos. Food for thought.

You're welcome @Old Scaley . Yep indeed had to get the bow rail removed. Hopefully you can avoid it if possible 🙂

It is an anderson plug - that's exactly right it allows me to remove the minn kota easily with the quick release bracket. Not too sure on the battery box, but that's prompted me to think about putting the battery in a box myself - seems like a sensible thing to do!

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 7:05 PM, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey @Old Scaley no worries happy to answer any questions you have, no expert here but happy to share my own experience of it! I have a horizon easyfisher 435.

So I got quoted between $3500 and $4000 but I ended up getting it supplied and fitted with the battery for $2900 including the quick release bracket from Brisbane quintrex which I thought was very reasonable! The thruster plate, bow rail removal and battery plate got done else where, think I only paid about $90.

Have attached a few photos if it helps at all. The angle of mine goes straight back, I've seen others where it sits on an angle out to the side. 

I was worried putting the battery at the back with the added weight and I'm really glad I put it at the front. Have noticed no impact on the ride using the yammy. 

I have to manually put it on charge after I've used it, unlike my other battery which runs the lights, bilge and sounder. I've never had it run out of battery (even after forgetting to put it on charge! ) 

I've only used the quick release bracket once for a trip from Brisbane to baffle creek, but I'm sure I'll use it more on future trips. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like some other photos - sorry they're a bit dark 🙂

IMG_20200412_182219.jpg

IMG_20200412_184641.jpg

IMG_20200412_182226.jpg

IMG_20200412_182238.jpg

IMG_20200412_182349.jpg

IMG_20200412_181814.jpg

IMG_20200412_182440.jpg

IMG_20200412_182427.jpg

IMG_20200412_182208.jpg

IMG_20200412_181422.jpg

@tugger - would be worth checking where the thruster plate, bow rail and battery plate got done for about $90, seems an awesome price. Failing that, the welder I spoke to you about today is Andrew at Karma Welding on New Cleveland Rd (next to the landscaping mob), mobile is 0418 184 663.

Let us know how you get on mate, as I'll probably be looking to do this at some stage.

On 13/04/2020 at 1:18 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Ryannnnnnnn

Looks like a very nice setup you've got there, I see how you've mounted it on. 

Just a quick question (for anyone), has anyone put a MK or any electric motor on a kayak? It is something I have been thinking about (as well as my father) but we are a bit idea less. 😉 

Cheers Hamish 

Works quite well. there are several options depending on your yak and budget. A 18 or 24lb watersnake are quite affordable and there are side mount kits available and are quite simple to install, Mounting on the stern requires modification of the motor to enable control of the speed and direction. If you can afford it a bow mount minnkota with spot lock is the ducks guts but you are looking at over 2k plus battery and charger.

Check out Dinga.com for the watersnake ad kit, I think that dragon yaks who are local also do a complete kit .

Cheers Ray

Ok, so I now have my nice shiny new Minn Kota iPilot 55lb 54” and have spent a bit of time over the last few days installing it. I was originally going for the 48” shaft but in the end went for the longer shaft because I can always raise it up 6” (keep it clean @ellicat) but can’t make it longer (again, @ellicat, let that through to the keeper). I looked around for prices but decided now is a good time to support local businesses that you want to still be there when this crazy time is over, so went with the same place I bought the boat and where I get it serviced.  All up with the quick release, 120ah battery and other bits and bobs I have spent around $3k and that is with a self-install. I thought I would put up a post to help anyone else thinking of doing the same because I found @Ryannnnnnnn‘s info in this topic very helpful, so here goes:

This is the packaging it comes in, plus a few extras I bought at the same time:

2568924B-BBCF-4AE1-870A-C6999B6FB00A.thumb.jpeg.64a8c8a41cd6088242029f4b529b83bd.jpeg 

377732EF-D057-4FE8-914C-2CA9A141D0B9.thumb.jpeg.8ed8e7e1992e3d39220d95a1eb362e49.jpeg

First job was to set up the mounting plate for the quick release. One tip to remember is that the template for the mounting block is carefully hidden on the inside of the packaging. It is actually the inside of the cardboard pack:

C8B16B39-3D4E-4C16-A376-1F544064FAD2.thumb.jpeg.0fd2ce3bf1e1e229064e83046370da8a.jpeg

I spent a bit of time positioning and repositioning the template to make sure I had it right before I realised that the Sea Jay factory had already put pilot dints in the mounting plate which were in the right position for the quick release mounting block. There were a few little problems getting good access to the underside of the the mounting plate but I soon had the quick release bock in position.

I worked out that the length of the cables from the motor wouldn’t leave much slack once connected to the battery so I went to Jaycar to buy some more cable and also a new battery charger. My old one seemed to charge my 100ah agm deep cycle that I use for accessories ok, but the manual said it was for batteries up to 80ah so figured a new charger might give me better life from the new battery and the accessory battery. I also picked Anderson plugs and waterproof covers for the Anderson plugs.

95A13A68-A6B0-47C9-B681-B6E904F02E21.thumb.jpeg.8bcc2aa96073c0a072e13e03fc4997ac.jpeg

Next, I needed to put the 60amp fuse into the positive cable. The fuse holder comes fitted with 8 strand wire and although I had bought the biggest solder waterproof joiners, they were too small for that cable so I needed a new waterproof joiner. Off to Whitworths to see what they had. The best he could offer was some paint on electrical tape. You just keep applying layer after layer every 10 minutes or so and it builds up a waterproof layer. So I stripped down the wire and used the largest connector I had, then applied a heap of this stuff over 2 days. Seems ok, but I would be happy to hear better solutions for a good waterproof joiner that will handle 8 strand cable.

3004E694-8FB2-41DA-93B5-D68AB23CD122.thumb.jpeg.3072e733a19d3a9ce71a55137e5242c1.jpeg

The next challenge was locating the battery box in the front hatch. The crossmembers on the holder in the hatch were at right angles to the way the strap holders work, so I screwed an old poly cutting board in place so the straps could go around it.

4A068710-B2A7-4DC0-B333-82A61EA75977.thumb.jpeg.02ff1917cecbc0d92277e0bf15ebcef5.jpeg

D1E8164A-8C6D-4C96-BE83-28AA3CD8E432.thumb.jpeg.0731d240d0262f2b5d5c51f8a4b3aac5.jpeg

Now every thing was ready to connect up and test. Here are the Anderson Plugs with their nice neat covers and the finished installation.

73F1DCE8-CF5B-4262-95E7-7FB483DAA13E.thumb.jpeg.5b25ed2c41163ddbc2e51bf0695d3205.jpeg

F4B76DB1-594B-4BAC-8DA2-107AF53FB26B.thumb.jpeg.475751a14a6a5ae9e57bb334dd2583f6.jpeg

3A3BD7D7-8C6F-41FE-9B7B-F3284519034F.thumb.jpeg.60ea04ebccd0bf2018afa437a747c3de.jpeg

I have a question for people with similar setups. If your fuel tank is close to your battery, do you take the battery (or the fuel tank - it might be lighter) out before connecting the charger. Although it is a sealed battery, I worry about the spark when I attach the charger leads to the battery terminals when the fuel tank is in a connected hatch about 40cm apart? Am I over cautious?

A4FB6ECD-47E4-47ED-838B-1D609C1D6D0E.thumb.jpeg.f096d51ec9778b7f9ffd63a11e9e5b77.jpeg

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps someone sometime.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice work Steve, looking forward to see the effect it has on your fishing - I'd still like to get one but probably not for a while ...... 🙂 Trying out my new motor tomorrow 🙂 

Hi kmcrosby78

That sounds very exciting, we are going to try out our depth sounder on our kayak just around the local park to see under us, so we can get an idea of how to use it.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hi Old Scaley,

As long as you attach the Charger clamps to the battery before you plug in the charger (which you should always do anyway) sparking shouldn’t be a problem. However, having said that, if your fuel tank is light enough and easily accessible I would probably err on the side of caution and take it out or move it first. Not sure how new your battery charger is but most modern ones have a fail safe in case you do accidentally put the Clamps on the wrong terminals.

cheers

Greg O

8 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi kmcrosby78

That sounds very exciting, we are going to try out our depth sounder on our kayak just around the local park to see under us, so we can get an idea of how to use it.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hey everyone

Just wanted to say we made the mount for the kayak (which was fun, and I got to use our power saw LOL).

We couldn't make it out today so I will be posting a report up on how the mount was made next weekend, as well as the report.

Cheers Hamish

If you use an anderson plug to connect your charger to the battery  and the nature of the construction of the anderson plug reduces the risk of sparking . Another advantage of using anderson plugs is that there is no risk of reversing the polarity when you connect the charger. To charge the battery you just unplug the motor and then plug in the charger to the plug that is connected to the battery.

Cheers Ray

2 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

If you use an anderson plug to connect your charger to the battery  and the nature of the construction of the anderson plug reduces the risk of sparking . Another advantage of using anderson plugs is that there is no risk of reversing the polarity when you connect the charger. To charge the battery you just unplug the motor and then plug in the charger to the plug that is connected to the battery.

Cheers Ray

Ray, you must have been reading my mind. I had the exact same thought in the wee hours this morning. Heading out later this morning for sea trials.