Landing Fish On A High Cliff

Drop Bear

Hey Gang,

After a fit of advice. 

I fish with a mate at an undisclosed location off the rocks. Where we cast from is a long vertical drop (about 10-15m) to the water. It is dangerous and slippery on the edge and if you went in it would be tough to get out. Very hard to climb down as rocks are loose and its basically a vertical cliff and I don't want to risk it. 

We sometimes get good sized snapper there and cant lift them on the rod and if we try and haul them up by hand lineing they get caught on the rocks. 

We have had limited success spearing them with a spear gun. but it is over 10m and hit and miss.

Anyone got any good tips? 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Do you think that it would work on a snapper? 

mate the cliff gaffs are used by a heap of fishos on snapper, groper, dhufish, kingies, sambos etc in WA that i have seen on the youtubes (check out gidos landbased fishing for multiple examples and some INSANE cliff fishing).  they can take a couple of cracks to get the hooks in any fish, usually end up sliding in under the gills, gill rakers or even in the eyes which while graphic would be very effective.  only other option would be an extendable pole gaff (i.e. one with multiple clip together sections) which i have also seen used on the youtubes in places like WA. 

have also seen the ones @samsteele115 mentioned - the would be pretty hit and miss in rougher waters, they are lowered down and you basically direct the fish over them at which you point lift up and jag fish.  used on jetties a lot but not sure how it would go in a surf type location.

On 15/07/2019 at 2:15 PM, benno573 said:

mate the cliff gaffs are used by a heap of fishos on snapper, groper, dhufish, kingies, sambos etc in WA that i have seen on the youtubes (check out gidos landbased fishing for multiple examples and some INSANE cliff fishing).  they can take a couple of cracks to get the hooks in any fish, usually end up sliding in under the gills, gill rakers or even in the eyes which while graphic would be very effective.  only other option would be an extendable pole gaff (i.e. one with multiple clip together sections) which i have also seen used on the youtubes in places like WA. 

have also seen the ones @samsteele115 mentioned - the would be pretty hit and miss in rougher waters, they are lowered down and you basically direct the fish over them at which you point lift up and jag fish.  used on jetties a lot but not sure how it would go in a surf type location.

Will give it a go and report back.