Drop Bears Trip To Moreton This Weekend

Drop Bear

nice one mate.  looking to get over there myself for a full week of r & r in the next coupla months but it may end up being fraser instead.  heaps of tailor off the northern beach this time last year, any gutter right on dusk, i got all mine on slugs and plastics, guys camped near us were all baitos and they got some bigger ones but way less numbers. 

take some volcom red curry paste, a can of coconut milk and an onion - fresh tailor makes the BEST fish curry and takes all of 15 minutes to put together.

On 15/07/2019 at 2:02 PM, benno573 said:

nice one mate.  looking to get over there myself for a full week of r & r in the next coupla months but it may end up being fraser instead.  heaps of tailor off the northern beach this time last year, any gutter right on dusk, i got all mine on slugs and plastics, guys camped near us were all baitos and they got some bigger ones but way less numbers. 

take some volcom red curry paste, a can of coconut milk and an onion - fresh tailor makes the BEST fish curry and takes all of 15 minutes to put together.

Pro tips mate. Thanks. I was there this time last year too and we got as many as we needed. I hope they want to play this year too. 

7 hours ago, tugger said:

Good luck Robbie 

Thanks Tugger, I have decided to take it easy and just take some spinning gear and slugs. If that doesn't work so be it. 

It is only 2 nights so I don't want to drag out too much fishing gear. I might have to chuck in some hooks and sinkers just in case we get time to catch a stack of worms and want to try for a Mulloway. 

1 hour ago, Poddymullet said:

Hey guys ... silly question but where do you camp on Moreton? You have to camp in one of the designated camp areas right? 

Yes. There are camps in behind the dunes south of Middle Road or you can camp up North at the camping area near the lighthouse...Northpoint or something like that. Has cold showers and toilets.

On 18/07/2019 at 8:44 PM, Poddymullet said:

Hey guys ... silly question but where do you camp on Moreton? You have to camp in one of the designated camp areas right? 

There are stacks of options but yes you need to camp in designated areas. It is a fantastic place to camp. 

We stayed on the main beach not far north of the middle track. There are options up and down the east beach, just below the Light house, at Yellow Patch, between Cowan Cowan and Bulwah, near the Tangalooma wrecks and other places. They are all pretty nice with unique things to each of them. 

15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

There are stacks of options but yes you need to camp in designated areas. It is a fantastic place to camp. 

We stayed on the main beach not far north of the middle track. There are options up and down the east beach, just below the Light house, at Yellow Patch, between Cowan Cowan and Bulwah, near the Tangalooma wrecks and other places. They are all pretty nice with unique things to each of them. 

Thanks mate. I'd really like to do the boat camping thing. Take the boys over (8 and 12)...and camp but have the boat close by. I guess the alternative is to just anchor up at Bulwer or close by the wrecks. 

5 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Thanks mate. I'd really like to do the boat camping thing. Take the boys over (8 and 12)...and camp but have the boat close by. I guess the alternative is to just anchor up at Bulwer or close by the wrecks. 

The camp sites from Bulwer to Cowan Cowan are fantastic for that sort of thing. You can fish the beach or the drop off just out or go offshore from there. Loads of options. They are pretty quiet out of school holidays. Few creeks around too for fresh water, not for drinking but good to wash the salt off. 

Hay poddymullet, 

I've  taken the boat over and camped heaps of times. South of Tangas is where I normally camp .

Its quiet and not to many people camp down that end good for kids . There are no facilities at all so you would need to take water etc. 

Just past Cowan heading north  there's a few good spots as well one has a fresh water creek right beside. 

These camps are right on the beach to keep an eye on the boat. 

Hope this helps mate 

IMG_20190723_185723.jpg

On 24/07/2019 at 9:43 AM, Drop Bear said:

@kmcrosby78 it doesn't north of Cowan but the further south you go the more there is sandbanks. 

I am really interested to hear @hedge05 saying the southern areas. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up mate. You learn something every day.

On 23/07/2019 at 7:46 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

@hedge05 does the tide go very far out? Do you use a pulley system to retrieve the boat or just swim out to it? Would love to do this sometime 🙂 

Tide goes out a fair way.. I usually just anchor up and keep moving the boat as the tide goes out.. Or if the tides suit I just let the boat go high and dry and wait for the tide in the morning..  

By the way good Flathead fishing down the southern end on the out going tide..