Safest Coastal Bar To Cross Seq

Ryannnnnnnn

Have a 4.2m horizon allumnium with a fairly deep Hull with a 2013 40hp yammy 2 stroke  banger on the back. 

Had it for a few months and will continue to gain experience for months before I even think about going outside the river systems and moretan Bay. 

Just thinking ahead though, is there a coastal bar within a few hours of brisbane that stands out to be the safest to cross?

Not interested in dangerous situations "testing the waters" and pushing my boat to its limits. Safety is utmost priority. 

Probably depend on the skipper, but Is my boat capable of going outside the river / moretan bay? 

having never crossed a bar yet (on my to do list) i dont think any are safe as such, more comes down to the weather and conditions. for example, i saw the bar between caloundra and bribie the other day was flat as a fresh water lake. Yet other days ive seen the VMR boats struggle to make it out. My suggestion would be to read as much info as you can, then attempt it with another boat on standby just in case things go bad.

All seq bars can be hazardous at times and some level of experience is required for all of them but in my opinion I would be trying the Southport seaway, and steering clear of jumpin pin or south passage until you have gained some experience. Pick your day with small swells and look at the time length In seconds on the bom website or Seabreeze. The longer the wave period the better. Be sure to log in via radio before you leave and a good thing to do is join the vmr for the bar you plan on using most. Many great fish have been caught from small boats just out from the seaway especially when the Pelagics are running

Edited by jon

GC Seaway is by far the safest on the GC. Tweed is next, but can get sketchy on a run out tide with some swell running. Next is Currumbin, but if it is your first crossing this is not for you. Cross Talle off your list.

When crossing the Seaway go straight out for a couple of hundred meters before changing course - there is a shallow bank on the end of the south wall and an even more shallow bank just north of the entrance that waves will break on in a medium swell. As with all bars, run out will be the most dangerous.

I always suggest you go and watch the bar the day before on the same tide you are going to be crossing in. This will give you a fairly accurate idea of the conditions you will cross in. And take note of the track other boats take when crossing the bar.

Lastly, don't be a hero - if you are unsure, don't go. Try to get someone to take you on your first crossing, either in your boat or follow them in their boat.

On 20/07/2019 at 9:25 AM, marty said:

GC Seaway is by far the safest on the GC. Tweed is next, but can get sketchy on a run out tide with some swell running. Next is Currumbin, but if it is your first crossing this is not for you. Cross Talle off your list.

When crossing the Seaway go straight out for a couple of hundred meters before changing course - there is a shallow bank on the end of the south wall and an even more shallow bank just north of the entrance that waves will break on in a medium swell. As with all bars, run out will be the most dangerous.

I always suggest you go and watch the bar the day before on the same tide you are going to be crossing in. This will give you a fairly accurate idea of the conditions you will cross in. And take note of the track other boats take when crossing the bar.

Lastly, don't be a hero - if you are unsure, don't go. Try to get someone to take you on your first crossing, either in your boat or follow them in their boat.

Pro tips. Thanks

There is a lot of variables to crossing bars especially swell direction if it a southerly swell 1 of the best bars to cross is south passage bar. As mentioned before the incoming tide is the best conditions to cross a bar and again going with more experienced seafarers 1st is the best idea.

The seaway at southport and mooloolaba is deeper therefore less wave action.

9 minutes ago, tugger said:

There is a lot of variables to crossing bars especially swell direction if it a southerly swell 1 of the best bars to cross is south passage bar. As mentioned before the incoming tide is the best conditions to cross a bar and again going with more experienced seafarers 1st is the best idea.

The seaway at southport and mooloolaba is deeper therefore less wave action.

Thanks for all your advice over the years Tugger. Has given me great confidence. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Since this post I'm getting a new 6.3 center cabin boat in the next fortnight and am still yet to give the Gold Coast seaway a crack 🙈 it's entirely possible I have been over thinking it although I have been happy puttering around the bay.

I would like to give crossing the seaway a go when I get my new boat. Are there any particular conditions I need to be weary of? Was going to pick a rising tide, under 10knt wind and swell 1m give or take. Have watched videos and read lots of articles, but am yet to put what I have learnt to practice.

I was planning on doing a course with Bill Corten, but I would probably get more value out of doing the course on a more challenging bar once I've gotten comfortable with the boat.

2 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Are there any particular conditions I need to be weary of?

I am not the most experienced bar crosser on the forum but here is some general advice. Like any bar, pick a day with swell at about 1m or less, incoming tide close to high and lighter winds and you should have no problems. Going out is the hard bit, only go through the areas where the water is blue and the waves are not crashing. Coming in you can just sit on the back of a swell.

shouldn't be a big problem in the seaway mate.  in the conditions described and a 6m boat - honestly it should be a doddle.  the last of the runout tide and a 1.5m+ swell will make it a bit more sporting (waves standing up and generally sloppy) but because of the sand pumping jetty the water is generally fairly deep and only properly breaks in heavier weather.

5 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Since this post I'm getting a new 6.3 center cabin boat in the next fortnight and am still yet to give the Gold Coast seaway a crack 🙈 it's entirely possible I have been over thinking it although I have been happy puttering around the bay.

I would like to give crossing the seaway a go when I get my new boat. Are there any particular conditions I need to be weary of? Was going to pick a rising tide, under 10knt wind and swell 1m give or take. Have watched videos and read lots of articles, but am yet to put what I have learnt to practice.

I was planning on doing a course with Bill Corten, but I would probably get more value out of doing the course on a more challenging bar once I've gotten comfortable with the boat.

The seaway is a breeze. I've popped out maybe 3 or 4 times now in my 4.1 low sides tinny. Have never run far offshore - at best 100m chasing birds, but it's definitely easy to visually gauge the safety of crossing that bar when you turn up.

An easy indicator is watch all the tinnies parked up along the northern wall near the end. If there are none parked around the tip of the rockwall, it's probably a bit rough ... or you are a lucky fella and found the blue moon where no one is parked there 😄