Quite Time, Not!

Luvit

One week before l head to WA for the big Kimberley trip. It has been a busy time taking over the Gobblers business, doing some orders, flying to Melbourne for work and getting gear ready to pack. In the process of doing this l had my worst hook in the finger moment and I wasn’t even fishing. I had a hand full of lures and while trying to pick up my jig bag full of heavy jigs. It slipped and one of the lures got caught in it and then as it dropped the hooks pulled into the finger. 

4F905FEB-43BD-4134-9C83-2C13F745D560.thumb.jpeg.e1d3e007239417e2b25225e1fb134c51.jpeg

Lucky they were small hooks. Kids cut it off for me and it pulled out easy. 

We have extended our 10% off sale till the end of month if anyone wants any. Use the code MYS19 at checkout. www.gobblers.com.au

I want my wife to be busy making them while I’m off enjoying myself. 😂

5 hours ago, Ed. said:

Ouch! that's gotta hurt, I had just ordered a pair of 200mm Knipex bolt cutters for that very same reason,  I do have a larger HIT 600mm pair for large shark hooks but also wanted a much smaller pair to carry around i my tackle bag for moments like these, should that happen to me or someone nearby. The 200mm ones are much  easier to handle one handed and will cut though most (up to 3.5mm) hooks easily as well.

Only ever had one small hook into my thumb, it didn't hurt that much but by the time I got medical treatment hours later, the old thumb was well and truly "sensitive". The hook didn't go right through so the Doc aesthetically ring blocked my thumb, now that hurt! jabbed me about 15 times to try and make my thumb go numb, then they cut the hook tip out! That little episode left a lasting impression on me, don't want a repeat! 😬

It's never fun and I try my best to not have this happen on the boat. Just in a rush trying to pack and a small mishap. 

30 minutes ago, Luvit said:

It's never fun and I try my best to not have this happen on the boat. Just in a rush trying to pack and a small mishap. 

So what do we call that? If it's not Master Baiting...Captain Cook perhaps? Either way takes a lot of practice and hard work 🤩 Least it was on free spool

7 hours ago, Ed. said:

Ouch! that's gotta hurt, I had just ordered a pair of 200mm Knipex bolt cutters for that very same reason,  I do have a larger HIT 600mm pair for large shark hooks but also wanted a much smaller pair to carry around i my tackle bag for moments like these, should that happen to me or someone nearby. The 200mm ones are much  easier to handle one handed and will cut though most (up to 3.5mm) hooks easily as well.

Only ever had one small hook into my thumb, it didn't hurt that much but by the time I got medical treatment hours later, the old thumb was well and truly "sensitive". The hook didn't go right through so the Doc aesthetically ring blocked my thumb, now that hurt! jabbed me about 15 times to try and make my thumb go numb, then they cut the hook tip out! That little episode left a lasting impression on me, don't want a repeat! 😬

Hmmmm pro tip that one. I might have to invest.... 

On 18/07/2019 at 4:26 PM, Drop Bear said:

Hmmmm pro tip that one. I might have to invest.... 

These are the ones I got:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Knipex-71-02-200-CoBolt-Compact-Bolt-Cutters-7102200/271257050182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There are a couple of variations of these ones, 1) Thinner rubber on the handle, 2) Angled head, 3) Spring in between handle, and there is even a 160mm version.

I ordered mine from Germany (where they are made) due to the cost of locally  sourced ones, that is if you can find them and they can be up to 2  times the price so you need to shop around.

With the GST added it will end up costing  me $71.39 delivered and these will cut up to 3.6mm piano wire which is extremely hard so most hooks should not be a problem. Big hooks are extremely hard, I ended up getting a HIT red jaw 600mm pair of bolt cutters for the big shark hooks, I tried several different brands of bolt cutters and some were left with a dimple in the jaws after one cut. The HIT ones are designed for high tensile wire so no issues.

On 18/07/2019 at 5:13 PM, Ed. said:

These are the ones I got:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Knipex-71-02-200-CoBolt-Compact-Bolt-Cutters-7102200/271257050182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There are a couple of variations of these ones, 1) Thinner rubber on the handle, 2) Angled head, 3) Spring in between handle, and there is even a 160mm version.

I ordered mine from Germany (where they are made) due to the cost of locally  sourced ones, that is if you can find them and they can be up to 2  times the price so you need to shop around.

With the GST added it will end up costing  me $71.39 delivered and these will cut up to 3.6mm piano wire which is extremely hard so most hooks should not be a problem. Big hooks are extremely hard, I ended up getting a HIT red jaw 600mm pair of bolt cutters for the big shark hooks, I tried several different brands of bolt cutters and some were left with a dimple in the jaws after one cut. The HIT ones are designed for high tensile wire so no problem.

Thanks Ed 🙂

• 5 months later...

I don't think that end nippers work as well as side cutters do.  Having said that I only tried to some cut hooks with a cheapish pair which I used for cutting MIG wire, etc, so the better brands like Knipex might do the job more efficiently as they are well designed and use better heat treatment and steel.