Nice Mixed Bag

tugger

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Cracking fish mate. I have not caught a Queenfish down this way. Glad you had such a nice time of it. 

I was looking at all the boats from Cape Moreton. It was like being in jail haha. still beautiful. Soooo many whales but I didn't get to see an orgy like you.

heart love GIF

We caught a heap of the queenies along with the dart there 1st time i have seen them at the rock.

12 hours ago, benno573 said:

I’m curious about your comment on spangles not tasting any good at that size. I’ve eaten them up to just on 80cm and always found them extremely tasty and personally prefer them over snapper - not trying to start a war with that comment by the way! 😂

what about them changes at different sizes?

I did a charter about 10 years ago and we got onto a huge school of spangles. We all took home about 20 fillets each. 

I had a dinner party for about 15 people and baked the fillets whole.

12 of the fillets were stunningly delicious. Light flakey fish, sweet not much fishy taste or smell and presented well. 

3 of the fillets curled up. They were like rubber balls. They were like a big piece of squid. Not nice at all. 

I have no idea what this was. All fish were handled and cooked identically. They were all caught from the same trip. I don't know if they came from the same school so perhaps from a different area as we caught spangles at other times during the trip and the fillets all got mixed up. 

I wonder if the bad reputation has come from some of the fish being rubbish?

Personally I love them and will take them but there is no doubt in my mind that the 3 fillets I cooked up were rubbish. 

12 hours ago, benno573 said:

I’m curious about your comment on spangles not tasting any good at that size. I’ve eaten them up to just on 80cm and always found them extremely tasty and personally prefer them over snapper - not trying to start a war with that comment by the way! 😂

what about them changes at different sizes?

I have found them rubbery and have even tried thinning the fillets. Nearly all reef fish I love eating except these fish not sure why they are like that. 

I remember many years ago we cooked some reef fish up (can't for the life of me remember what species but they definitely wouldn't have been spanglies as we never caught them as kids) and they were all rubbery like that, so it may be similar to the mushy flesh problem on some kingfish where some fish in a species get it but not all of them?

On 24/07/2019 at 8:57 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

I remember many years ago we cooked some reef fish up (can't for the life of me remember what species but they definitely wouldn't have been spanglies as we never caught them as kids) and they were all rubbery like that, so it may be similar to the mushy flesh problem on some kingfish where some fish in a species get it but not all of them?

Makes sense

On 24/07/2019 at 9:06 PM, tugger said:

Thanks Brad good luck Friday if you go

mate found it hard to scrap up a feed went saturday couldnt get through the boaties channel close to straddie was a good 2 meters on the bar so went out the northern channel currant was 4-5knts at times but around 3.5 the rest,not many livies on the grounds,heard they were on early and went off the bite around 7.30 in the morning  was pretty flat off point lookout the bar was still up around lunch with a solid 2 meters  on it good coming in, but was crashing all the way along.

On 28/07/2019 at 9:08 AM, straddiebrad said:

mate found it hard to scrap up a feed went saturday couldnt get through the boaties channel close to straddie was a good 2 meters on the bar so went out the northern channel currant was 4-5knts at times but around 3.5 the rest,not many livies on the grounds,heard they were on early and went off the bite around 7.30 in the morning  was pretty flat off point lookout the bar was still up around lunch with a solid 2 meters  on it good coming in, but was crashing all the way along.

We had no current so fishing was slow we had to work hard for the fish as they say no run no fun