Suggestions For A Good Light Lure Trout Rod/reel Setup?

TBJ

So I've recently been trout fishing a few times, and I liked it, very different from the Saltwater fishing I'm used to, I'll use lures/soft plastics, It'll be mostly high country Victoria and Tasmania so a two piece is prefered, I was thinking maybe a good lightweight rod/reel would let me hike around the high country with it, although I'll probably drive most of the time. what do you guys suggest, a budget for the rod and reel is around the $1-1.2k mark I think, but depends on what you guys suggest.

Not wanting to be a snob or anything, but you will have so much more fun if you learn how to fly fish for trout. There's a reason why fly fishing for trout is so successful. You can't imitate a caddis or a mayfly with a lure or a soft plastic...at least I haven't seen one yet 🙂

Sorry to not answer your question...

7 hours ago, Nog said:

Not wanting to be a snob or anything, but you will have so much more fun if you learn how to fly fish for trout. There's a reason why fly fishing for trout is so successful. You can't imitate a caddis or a mayfly with a lure or a soft plastic...at least I haven't seen one yet 🙂

Sorry to not answer your question...

haha you snob. Jokes soz. I also love to fly fish for trout.... then again I used spin gear last time I fished for them. 

On 24/07/2019 at 5:00 PM, TBJ said:

So I've recently been trout fishing a few times, and I liked it, very different from the Saltwater fishing I'm used to, I'll use lures/soft plastics, It'll be mostly high country Victoria and Tasmania so a two piece is prefered, I was thinking maybe a good lightweight rod/reel would let me hike around the high country with it, although I'll probably drive most of the time. what do you guys suggest, a budget for the rod and reel is around the $1-1.2k mark I think, but depends on what you guys suggest.

That is a nice budget for a rod and reel. You have loads of high end options. How do you treat your gear? I am asking this cause I have found that the very low resin rods, while stunning to use, break very easily and if you are packing your way around I know I am not careful enough to not break one. In saying that my friends are not as clumsy as I am...

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

That is a nice budget for a rod and reel. You have loads of high end options. How do you treat your gear? I am asking this cause I have found that the very low resin rods, while stunning to use, break very easily and if you are packing your way around I know I am not careful enough to not break one. In saying that my friends are not as clumsy as I am...

Yeah I'm very careful with my gear and would mostly be carrying it in a case.

4 hours ago, TBJ said:

Yeah I'm very careful with my gear and would mostly be carrying it in a case.

ok well that makes me the wrong person to give advice. I am sadly a cluts and break any  thing good. I have a long trail of broken Nordic Stage rods in the garage... Very expensive spare parts...

I hope a more qualified person comes along soon.