Raby Bay/ Ormistom/ Cleveland Poitn

Mick Waycott

Hey everyone. I am new to these forums but am hardly new fishing. Like a lot of us, I have been fishing since I could walk. Anyway, the other day I went for a look over to Raby bay reef. It was very very slow. One squire 15 cm which was released. 

Anyone had any luck on either Ormiston Reef / Raby bay reef / Cleveland point. I never seem to produce fish there. Wouldn’t of pulled 3 decent fish from Cleveland point out of the 20 years I have been fishing it. 

Regards,

Mick

3 fish in 20 years, maybe you should consider taking up lawn bowls. In all seriousness, Ormiston reef has produced a lot of nice squire and sweetlip over the years for me as well as good tailor off Cleveland point. Maybe try a different approach such as catching your own fresh bait, fishing lighter and fishing at dawn and dusk. 

18 hours ago, Mick Waycott said:

Hey everyone. I am new to these forums but am hardly new fishing. Like a lot of us, I have been fishing since I could walk. Anyway, the other day I went for a look over to Raby bay reef. It was very very slow. One squire 15 cm which was released. 

Anyone had any luck on either Ormiston Reef / Raby bay reef / Cleveland point. I never seem to produce fish there. Wouldn’t of pulled 3 decent fish from Cleveland point out of the 20 years I have been fishing it. 

Regards,

Mick

Hey Mick,

Sorry you missed out on a feed.

Does the reef fish any better at night? I find the more northern but similar areas do.

How are you targeting them?

Well I am not really targeting the place. Just a quick stop over. I suppose it wouldn’t really be fair saying it doesn’t produce. Longest time i have spent there is 2 hours I got one 45cm Flatty in the swing mooring area. About 2 metres of water. I am usually using  fresh squid of a mate who loves squid fishing or pillies. 20 pound line, usually a last chance at a fish before the ramp. Usually around 30 minutes at around 9pm. Never tired dusk or dawn. I started the thread to see if it is worth spending a day down there. If you guys reckon you have got some nice stuff in the area I would use whiting heads as I do in my spot Xs. When I am fishing I am only really targeting snapper or reef species. By Cleveland point I mean on the ridges to the north. 

PS a mate reckons Ormiston Reef has some nice coral and drop offs in it. Sound interesting.

Thanks for your responses. 

Regards,

Mick

4 hours ago, Mick Waycott said:

Well I am not really targeting the place. Just a quick stop over. I suppose it wouldn’t really be fair saying it doesn’t produce. Longest time i have spent there is 2 hours I got one 45cm Flatty in the swing mooring area. About 2 metres of water. I am usually using  fresh squid of a mate who loves squid fishing or pillies. 20 pound line, usually a last chance at a fish before the ramp. Usually around 30 minutes at around 9pm. Never tired dusk or dawn. I started the thread to see if it is worth spending a day down there. If you guys reckon you have got some nice stuff in the area I would use whiting heads as I do in my spot Xs. When I am fishing I am only really targeting snapper or reef species. By Cleveland point I mean on the ridges to the north. 

PS a mate reckons Ormiston Reef has some nice coral and drop offs in it. Sound interesting.

Thanks for your responses. 

Regards,

Mick

It is nice to see the coral coming back. There is some nice coral growing at green island and heaps at Peel so I hope it is getting back your way. There are heaps of fish in that area... It is just a matter of being there at the right time with the right bait on the right rig. Not easy but will happen if you do the time. Do the time and eat the ... meh no idea. Sorry friday night and a few rums in cant think of poetry.