22-11-07 Scarb Reef

Rocket75

Expectations high, Jason (Faulked) and I set off at 3.30am to hit the reef off woody point. Conditions were mild and the odd squall of rain spattered the windscreen on the way. Surely it won't rain on us, we are in a drought after all!

As we pulled up on our target and while I rigged my baitrunner, I threw out a 3 inch mango ripple glow minnow grub Gulp! on a smallish jig head, more out of hope than anything. Within seconds, the drag on my 2000 captiva was doing it's thing.

By the time I dropped the other rig and pulled the SP rod from the holder, I had been reefed in a big way. A promising start...bring it on!

Jason then pulled a baby squire in on bait and things looked good.

Unfortunatly everything went pear shaped from there.

The wind picked up sharply, the once distant rain quickly closed in on our spot and the bite shut down as quickly as it started.

We toughed out the weather for a while in the hope that it would pass, but eventually gave in and headed for the protection of the Hornibrook Bridge.

Anchored under the bridge, we soaked some baits, but could only manage some toadies :angry: and little bream.

Eventually the rain dropped, but the wind made it a bit too uncomfortable to head back out to the reef, so we trolled some lures over to some likely looking mangroves. No hits, so we changed to casting into the shollows.

Despite looking very fishy, we didn't get a touch (my new sx40 is yet to be christened). We headed over to some pipes in Hays Inlet, and as we approached we were greeted by a fish of some kind breaking the surface within casting distance. We peppered this spot with lures and then baits, but could only manage toadies and a pike.

We motored back to the bridge and were surprised to see that the bay was almost glassy, so we headed back to the reef with renewed hopes.

We had netted some livies, so we dropped these in the hope of pulling some squire, big bream or cod.

The livies went untouched despite a strong burley trail, so I swapped to a bit of steak and in no time at all the baitrunner was spinning wildly. I had it set too lite, and got some over-run, so I held the main line while untangling the spool, praying that I was still attached.

Untangled, I leant back only to feel reef...suprise :blush: .

I gave it a bit of stick and got some movement. Encouraged I gave it a bit more, and finally felt the thump of a fish ! Not huge, but a fish...I really wanted to catch something (apart from a pike). A short but gutsy fight ensued, and a pretty little cod came onboard.

Having not caught many cod before, I was quite happy, especially when I looked at my 27lb mono leader. The reef had made a big mess of it and it had almost parted.

A quick picture (glad of the grips...teeth!) and he went off like a shot.

We headed off home soon after, confident that this spot has more to offer, and hopeful that the new green zones will not forbid access in the future.

Thanks once again to Jason for the invite, we'll get some bigger ones next time B).

[img size=264]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fish_n_stuff_020.jpg

post-953-144598433637_thumb.jpg

Good to see you got some weight on your line Rocket.

Try short sharp twitches with your sx40 and let it suspend or float for 2 seconds each time. Twitch, wind up slack then wait. If that doesn't work mix in a roll here or there for good measure. Also when you cast them out let it sit for 3 seconds. Sometimes fish hit it before you even start to wind. Plus always stay in contact with the lure. I try really hard to never have any slack in my line.

Just some techniques that work for me.

See you when you get back from holidays!

Archived