Mackay

shortie

I would say the world would be your oyster in Mackay, I would recomend that you grab a copy of \"the australain fish finder\" from a tackle shop or even a newsagent. This guide has GPS locations of boat ramps, offshore reefs and airial photos of the whole region, including all creeks and estuaries, with marked spots, species to target and how to target them.

a couple of spots mentioned are

slade point- lure casting for barra early summer

Mackay port rock walls- fish for everything that swims ie mackeral, tuna trevelly, cobia sharks coral trout ect

Main bridge over pioneer river- barra at night (livebait)

Bakers creek - turn in to holmes road just after bakers township on highway and left at morrelands road fish rock ledge for whiting flathead and barra.

many many more if you have a boat.

local tides are up to 6m, that would take a little getting use to. I have not fished these spots so can not vouch for the action but its a good publication and has helped many catch fish.

cheers

i used to live in mackay and i found flicking lures from the bank of the pioneer river near mackay base hospital was pretty good...id start down near the hospital and work my way down stream...cod ,more cod pikey bream, flattys,little gt's(big ones r there too!) little queenies, more cod,even tarpon and a few more cod....but the best creek fishing i have ever had in my life was in contance creek just north of mackay on the way to seaforth..barra!...jacks, cod, grunter,sharks,fingermarks, gt's and more cod:P ....and yer bakers creek is ok too i have even got a few small jew(1-2kg) in there...but this was in 1997..i hear things have changed a bit now.....the 2 islands out from the harbour roundtop and flattop, we used to get a lot of parrot and small macks..but gee i miss the creek fishing up there...take pics for us mate..and good luck!

Shortie,

Last time I fished Mackay with the missus we got mackerel trolling just to the east of Flat Top Island, about 3km out of the Pioneer River. Start at the Island and work out to the nav buoy then back. We got our fish on Vipers and Spoonbills.

If the weather is good, Round Top Island which is another couple of kays out from Flat Top, is worth a look. Apparently more Spaniards come from this Island.

We also got some longtails around the 10kg mark just out from the harbour entrance. Try this spot on the run out tide and look for the bait schools that hang around the tide line. The longtails come close enough to be caught from the rock wall.

Thanks guys for the info.

I ended up having a great day fishing Mackay.

I went out on an ex Fisheries boat turned charter boat. The company is Reefari charters, and i can highly recommend them.

The skipper wasnt running a charter on Saturday but was taking a couple of his mates fishing for the day. Usually his charters are around $300 and they head up to 300 nautcial miles off shore.

The skipper picked me up and dropped me back at the place i was staying. Boarded the boat, powered by 2 250hp Suzuki 4 strokes. It cruised at 28 Knots.

We got out to a little island and tried jigging for spanish Mackeral. Nothing. So we tried a spot of bottom Bouncing. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/001___.JPG

post-1851-144598433785_thumb.jpg

This fishing was good. I cuaght all the fish in the pics.

Trout, grunter, grassy sweetlip.

Also had a 10ft tiger shark decide he wanted a fish i caught more than i did.

30 min later and i was wrecked i could not move. Handed the rod to the skipper and 30 min later he handed the rod to another guy. Ended up getting busted off at the boat.

You do not relise just how unfit you are untill you fight 1 of these monsters.

Skipper called me a pussy for not landing my own fish. I called him a pussy for not being able to finish what i had started.

I have big cuts on my thumb from having to thumb the spool on a TLD 25 with 50lb braid to stop this this.

Was a great day.

shortie wrote:

You do not relise just how unfit you are untill you fight 1 of these monsters.

Skipper called me a pussy for not landing my own fish. I called him a pussy for not being able to finish what i had started.

:laugh: :laugh:

a awesome feed there mate..well done..and yer im with mackie..those grunter are great eating

Archived